Painting chrome rims?

DantheMayun

There are adhesion sprays that you can buy for this sort of thing. I'd probably sand it with a really high grade paper, the use the spray before painting. I just painted a chrome grille and my only suggestion would be to MAKE sure you touch every part, I missed about an inch and the paint wouldn't stick.

My spare tires have after market chrome steel wheels that I painted black. You just need to rough up the chrome finish and the paint will stick. Adhesion promoter like Danger said is also highly recommended. I wouldn't bother on the stock chrome wheels though. I think it will just make your ride look ghetto/redneck. Might as well save the money you're going to spend on making your stock wheels look even worse and save up to get some cheap black steel wheels from Jegs or some place else. Then you can at least try and sell your stock ones on craigslist.

• Like 1

My spare tires have after market chrome steel wheels that I painted black. You just need to rough up the chrome finish and the paint will stick. Adhesion promoter like Danger said is also highly recommended. I wouldn't bother on the stock chrome wheels though. I think it will just make your ride look ghetto/redneck. Might as well save the money you're going to spend on making your stock wheels look even worse and save up to get some cheap black steel wheels from Jegs or some place else. Then you can at least try and sell your stock ones on craigslist.

Hmm I'm liking this idea... Do I need to look for anything special, for example wheels that might need room for auto hubs I have on?