SE owners - What's you gas mileage?

shaggy

Verbatim

*5 truck..2wd, E models equipped with vg30i engine and 4wd,king cab models equipped with vg30 engine van/wagon...vg30i engine models

confusing, but I think the last part means any van/wagon (wd21) with the V6 has the big tank (in 1988)

These older owners manuals were combinations for the truck and pathfinder so it probably means that only the 2wd pickups with single cabs and WDs with four cyl had the small tank.

I just pulled my head out my ___ and went check my excel mileage spread sheet I have kept since I bought this truck. The most fuel I have ever put in it at once was 17 gal so it's definitely not a 15 gal. Actually I had never paid much attention to the size of the tank but my gauge must be on empty when I have around 5 gallons left. My truck has the sub gauge but it doesn't work so I don't push it.

James

Mine averages around 18. It has gotten 23 mpg on trips driving on the interstate at around 65 mph.

When i had twenty eight inch tires and no lift i got 265 miles to a tank. now i have a four inch lift with thirty twos. so im expecting worse.

I had 19 mpg before and now I'm getting 21 mpg but would probably get more if I went easier on it. Following the maintenance schedule is everything. Also, remember that this truck has the aerodynamics of a brick so the faster you push it, the more energy you will waste. If you look at some early WD21 gauge clusters, there is an arrow right above 55 mph. I think that is the most efficient speed for a WD21.

I had 19 mpg before and now I'm getting 21 mpg but would probably get more if I went easier on it. Following the maintenance schedule is everything. Also, remember that this truck has the aerodynamics of a brick so the faster you push it, the more energy you will waste. If you look at some early WD21 gauge clusters, there is an arrow right above 55 mph. I think that is the most efficient speed for a WD21.

That mark might be because 55mph used to be the national speed limit back in the dark ages (70s-80s) of the 'energy crisis'. (Now we've still got gas, but can barely afford to pay for it).

BTW, I'm carrying a dinghy on my roof. Probably doesn't make much difference around town, but will be interesting to see mpg on my first trip (coming up). My feeling so far is 65 will have to be fast enough (i.e. cruising speed). Then I wouldn't be surprised if my mpg is pretty reasonable (20mpg?) even with the boat on top (it's actually pretty aerodynamic compared to the vehicle).

Shag

Edited by shaggy

• 1 month later...

Hmm lets just say i get S#!T per Mile. im from Canada and ive had no more than 430kms on my 80 litre tank. And that was before the lift. Dont know yet since i just finished my lift so i have yet to find out. Cost me about 90-95$ dollars CDN at 1.30 a litre. So ya..BAD fuel mileage, but its the price we pay for driving bad a$$ trucks. :D

I think my mileage is around 17mpg. I drive like 90% city, and I have 30" tires. That f**kin' previous owner. I think that makes me rack up miles faster. I had an exhaust leak (on the tail pipe as well as broken exhaust studs), auto hubs, auto trans, and I floor it every now and again.

Since then, I've gotten a K&N air filter, used Royal Purple oil, swapped over to a M/T, manual locking hubs, fixed the exhaust manifold studs and I'm going to fix my exhaust. I also cleaned my MAF. I need to check the air in the tires though.. and do my spark plugs and wires. I should probably do those.

If the only two options are the 15gal tank and the 21gal tank, then I definitely have the 21gal tank. I've put 17-18 gallons in the tank at one time, but I am experiencing the common problem of the fuel gauge not working properly. I can only ever get it up to 7/8 tank at most. My mom keeps saying "you must have a dent in your tank. that's the only explanation" lol..stfu mom.

The whole fuel gauge issue is probably a combination of things. Fuel sending units break very easily. A faulty fuel gauge is probably the most common problem with cars in general. There's a floater in the gas tank that rubs on a thin sheet of metal with notches on it. These notches can wear down very easily. My dad has a 2000 GMC Sonoma and his gauge has been broken for about 4 years now. We took out his sending unit and those notches were pretty raw.

I read all of the posts, and I saw you saying you're getting like 11mpg or something? Dats badddd. I know these Nissan's aren't known for efficiency, but that's no bueno.

Oh yeah, I have a Nissan Hardbody btw. Pretty much the same thing as a Pathfinder, but without the cargo area. I want to say trucks are more aerodynamic than SUVs, but I don't think that would be correct actually. Anybody think so? I know the trucks weigh less, because they don't have the enclosure, but I mean air flowing over the body.

I think my mileage is around 17mpg. I drive like 90% city, and I have 30" tires. That f**kin' previous owner. I think that makes me rack up miles faster. I had an exhaust leak (on the tail pipe as well as broken exhaust studs), auto hubs, auto trans, and I floor it every now and again.

Since then, I've gotten a K&N air filter, used Royal Purple oil, swapped over to a M/T, manual locking hubs, fixed the exhaust manifold studs and I'm going to fix my exhaust. I also cleaned my MAF. I need to check the air in the tires though.. and do my spark plugs and wires. I should probably do those.

If the only two options are the 15gal tank and the 21gal tank, then I definitely have the 21gal tank. I've put 17-18 gallons in the tank at one time, but I am experiencing the common problem of the fuel gauge not working properly. I can only ever get it up to 7/8 tank at most. My mom keeps saying "you must have a dent in your tank. that's the only explanation" lol..stfu mom.

The whole fuel gauge issue is probably a combination of things. Fuel sending units break very easily. A faulty fuel gauge is probably the most common problem with cars in general. There's a floater in the gas tank that rubs on a thin sheet of metal with notches on it. These notches can wear down very easily. My dad has a 2000 GMC Sonoma and his gauge has been broken for about 4 years now. We took out his sending unit and those notches were pretty raw.

I read all of the posts, and I saw you saying you're getting like 11mpg or something? Dats badddd. I know these Nissan's aren't known for efficiency, but that's no bueno.

Oh yeah, I have a Nissan Hardbody btw. Pretty much the same thing as a Pathfinder, but without the cargo area. I want to say trucks are more aerodynamic than SUVs, but I don't think that would be correct actually. Anybody think so? I know the trucks weigh less, because they don't have the enclosure, but I mean air flowing over the body.

on our 88 when we fill up here in cal the gauge will go to about 7/8s of a tank and the gas is at the filler,

when we're in az or nv after 2 or 3 tank fills the crazy gauge will read full.

I know we have crappy gas here in cal but that's ridiculous go figure

Edited by vagabond

I get from 14 to 15 and it's just daily driving in stop & go traffic during rush hour. During off hours, I run it about 80-90mph but get a little nervous if I get over 95. I wonder why my mpg isn't better. :scratchhead:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering. I was hoping I'd get better than my previous vehicle, but it ain't lookin' good.

What mpg do you get a/ around town b/ on the highway. Also, what's your highest comfortable freeway cruising speed?

What do you do to help your mpg on trips? The SE's big tires and lower overall gear ratio sure don't help!

thanks

Shaggy

My 93 SE gets about 16mpg, going between 55-70 on the 'highway' here in Hawaii.

Mines about 16mpg city and 19 highway.

That's with 32's

One important fact to remember is that once you increase your tire size your measuring gas mileage acuratly by the odometer goes out the window.

A really fool proof way to check how acurate your odometer is, is to get on the highway and find where the mile markers are and stop right where one starts reset your trip and drive until you get to the next one and compare mileage.

Factory i had 235/75R15 tires (29") and now have 265/75R16 tires (32")

When i did the odometer check i got .8 miles on the trip for every 1 actual mile so 20% off

So when my i check my gas mileage by the odometer i get 14mpg city adding the extra mileage from being 20% off you get 2.8 mpg so actual MPG is 16.8 city

Example odometer shows 200 miles acutal adding 20% 240 miles divided by gallons to fill up.

Sorry i love numbers lol and i try to help they people that think when they throw 33" tires on you pathy you mpg doesnt really go down my like 4mpg so they feel better lol.

You are no joke the only other person on ANY forum besides myself that I have ever seen metion this. For this you get a hearty golf clap from mn.

That mark might be because 55mph used to be the national speed limit back in the dark ages (70s-80s) of the 'energy crisis'. (Now we've still got gas, but can barely afford to pay for it).

BTW, I'm carrying a dinghy on my roof. Probably doesn't make much difference around town, but will be interesting to see mpg on my first trip (coming up). My feeling so far is 65 will have to be fast enough (i.e. cruising speed). Then I wouldn't be surprised if my mpg is pretty reasonable (20mpg?) even with the boat on top (it's actually pretty aerodynamic compared to the vehicle).

Shag

65-75 is probly the best, mine would get 20 mpg when I first got it at this, thats with crazy misgapped plugs that probly had 100k on them. I had a high of 23mpg on a 4x4 trip with 30k old AC plugs and a new cap and rotor, with the 4.6 gears and 29-30ish tires aired too 40. But these are all 100+ mile trips on the freeway.

I get about 15-16 intown driving with 31x10.5" tires and 3" lift but i do have headers high flow cat and magnaflow muffler cold air intake and a bunch of roof rack and foglights. I have got 18-20 before but now that its cold it dropped down to 15ish

last tank sincei went wheeling i only got 223 miles on 16.8 gallions :-( like 14mpg

Edited by edicer2