R50 vs. R51: Which do you prefer?

jwblue

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the R50 or R51?

The favorite generation Pathfinder for most people on this board is the WD21.

What about second choice?

R50

2004 Pathfinder SE

43447079.jpg

43447271.jpg

vs. R51

2008 Pathfinder SE

47663856.jpg

47663919.jpg

I am guessing most people would choose the R50.

The R50 could be a hybrid WD21 and R51.

I definitely would choose the R50. The R51 is too bulky for my tastes. It might even be a close call for me whether I would take the R50 or WD21. The interior of the R50 is nicer than the WD21 and the exterior is not bad.

Edited by jwblue

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Pathfinders have outgrown their original "class". The newest Pathfinder is about the size of a Tahoe, Suburban, or even an Excursion or Expedition.

with each new iteration of the pathfinder, it has grown. I don't like any of the R series Pathfinder's. I'll stick with the WD series. The Xterra would be cooler if it weren't hung on leafs in the rear and Nissan had stuck to a 4 link suspension.

r51 has a full frame, but personal preference would still lean me to putting MY money on a car50 over a r51. You would have to pry me away from wd21s though first, which ain't gonna happen, then I would still become a trailer and go for an X before a r50-r51. So in other words? I'm absolutly no help

The Xterra/Frontier is the new Pathfinder/Hardbody. The R50 has no truck compliment.

Xterra/Frontier WD22/D22

Pathfinder/Hardbody WD21/D21

The frames between the 4 are very close. The IFS is similar, Steering boxes interchange, Skid plates interchange, Idler arms interchange, centerlinks interchange I think even sway bars interchange and the list goes on But none of the above will fit on an R50 or R51

The Xterra/Frontier is the new Pathfinder/Hardbody. The R50 has no truck compliment.

Xterra/Frontier WD22/D22

The frames between the 4 are very close. The IFS is similar, Steering boxes interchange, Skid plates interchange, Idler arms interchange, centerlinks interchange I think even sway bars interchange and the list goes on But none of the above will fit on an R50 or R51

Man makes a good point. :aok:

Ima go with R50. Cuz im 16 and i love my WD21. But if i was forced to choose R50 vs. R51. R50 has my vote.

srry R51 buddays :shrug:

btw. i sat in a R51 (uncle's) I didnt fit, too tall. I moved the seat back. but i didnt want to kill the person siting behind me. O,o Nissan should go back to the WD21. They had a perfect truck. Why mess with it?

Edited by PathfinderIII

personally to me, the pathfinder ended after 95, I can't stand the real new one's at all, only thing pathfinder looking is the rear door handles, just my opinion.

Bring on the negative comments !!

• Like 1

Xterra/Frontier WD22/D22

Good point with the Xterra carrying the WD22 label.

Good point with the Xterra carrying the WD22 label.

Must have missed the part where I pointed out that the Xterra is a WD?

I would definitely pick an Xterra over any of the new(er) pathfinders.

And they don't make pathfinder's like they used to because the people buying new cars don't want them.

It's like comparing apples to oranges. Pathfinders have outgrown their original "class". The newest Pathfinder is about the size of a Tahoe, Suburban, or even an Excursion or Expedition.

with each new iteration of the pathfinder, it has grown. I don't like any of the R series Pathfinder's. I'll stick with the WD series. The Xterra would be cooler if it weren't hung on leafs in the rear and Nissan had stuck to a 4 link suspension.

Good points, but does't the wd21's have a 5 link rear??

Nissan should go back to the WD21. They had a perfect truck. Why mess with it?

Because in the (retarded) view of the average consumer, newer is better and change is good. This does have it's place, but only to a refinement level. Once you hit redesign, all bets are off...

Knowing the WD21 well, the R50 1/2 way and the R51 not at all, this is my useless opinion.

WD21 for rugged/off road applications(preferably modified).

R50 for some off road(preferably modified) with more asphalt applications.

R51 for ferrying the family to Walmart.

The WD21 set the trend and expectation level for the vehicle. The R50 tried to keep up with that with a total redesign and didn't do too bad, all things considered, but it is inherently more limited(OBD2 is a good thing IMHO). The R51 is in left field compared to the WD21 so WD22 here we go (and install a 5 link).

B

Good points, but does't the wd21's have a 5 link rear??

Because in the (retarded) view of the average consumer, newer is better and change is good. This does have it's place, but only to a refinement level. Once you hit redesign, all bets are off...

Knowing the WD21 well, the R50 1/2 way and the R51 not at all, this is my useless opinion.

WD21 for rugged/off road applications(preferably modified).

R50 for some off road(preferably modified) with more asphalt applications.

R51 for ferrying the family to Walmart.

The WD21 set the trend and expectation level for the vehicle. The R50 tried to keep up with that with a total redesign and didn't do too bad, all things considered, but it is inherently more limited(OBD2 is a good thing IMHO). The R51 is in left field compared to the WD21 so WD22 here we go (and install a 5 link).

B

Yes B, I'm sure you know wd21s are 5 linked, as that stands since I've grown up on GMs for a good chunk of time, I have no problem with leafs. They do their job, be it a little differently than coils (which don't get me wrong, I do enjoy). You won't see me ripping the rear outa WhiteOwl to throw the suspension from a HB back there, but I ain't gonna put down leafs either.

And since I already stated my opinion, just gonna make a simple observation as to whats happenin/will be seen when this thread grows more. People don't always like change and your gonna see alot of loyalty to what they currently own. I'm sure if RichardKirby (belive I slept that right) pops in he will have some good praise of r51s and proably voice some personal dislikes of r50s and wd21s. And as pops up from time to time (normally in a lighthearted setting) the good ol' wd21>r50 debates and hell even the 2door>4door wd21 debates. Personal preference is just that... Personal :aok:

• Like 1

You did not say if it was for the trail or the street.. personnaly, if it was for trail I would go R50 obviously for the solid axle at the back and strong 2.6:1 planetary Transfer case... Not having a frame is not , in my opinion, an argument of a bad trail rig.. (just look at some jeep xj outthere..)

For the street, I would definitely go R51. More space, more engine, better looking (my taste) and probably more confortable..

Here you have it !

S.

How many have actually driven the R51? I have quite a bit. SO....

Pros:

1. It has power...

2. LOTS of power.

3. Did I mention the 4.0L V6 with 266hp (and it gets avg. 19-20mpg compared to 14-17mpg for underpowered VG33E R50s)

4. Comfort is tops of all Pathys (I've driven all forms)

5. As capable off-road as an R50

6. It has a modern suspension. In theory not the greatest for off road... but on a road, a real road, far and away the best handling pathfinder.

Cons:

It could look better.

Just my humble opinion. But that being said. I'd take an R50 :shrug:

In no respect is it a better vehicle, but for some reason I just like it more.

Edited by MrT

How many have actually driven the R51? I have quite a bit. SO....

Pros:

1. It has power...

2. LOTS of power.

3. Did I mention the 4.0L V6 with 266hp (and it gets avg. 19-20mpg compared to 14-17mpg for underpowered VG33E R50s)

4. Comfort is tops of all Pathys (I've driven all forms)

5. As capable off-road as an R50

6. It has a modern suspension. In theory not the greatest for off road... but on a road, a real road, far and away the best handling pathfinder.

Cons:

It could look better.

Just my humble opinion. But that being said. I'd take an R50 :shrug:

In no respect is it a better vehicle, but for some reason I just like it more.

I have driven all three as well, wd21 and r50 mostly (i've also driven the 3.3 and 3.5 variant of the r50), and an r51 a few times. The r51 definitly had the smoothest ride but then again it was the newest. I found the 3.5 r50 to seem a little faster than the r51 but maybe thats just because the r51 is a lot bigger. I thought the handling was best in the r50 because of the monoframe. The wd handles well stock as well and the adjustable suspension on the sport package made it very nice to drive. I get comments on how well my lifted wd21 drives for what I've done to it. I liked how roomy the r51 was though, not nearly as narrow as the older models which is kinda nice for a bigger person like me.

I found the 3.5 r50 to seem a little faster than the r51 but maybe thats just because the r51 is a lot bigger. I thought the handling was best in the r50 because of the monoframe.

The R51 has a larger wheelbase but overall is not any bigger than an R50. And that longer wheelbase combined with the loss of the live rear axle make the handling a lot better on the R51 in my opinion and experience. While the live axle is better for off-road, on road there is no comparison. How can you love axle hop going over (even small) bumps???:scratchhead:

I grew up on land yachts and leaf sprung trucks as 'main' cars and family cars (when minivans were in and becoming the thing, my mom rolled us around in a BB-military green-woodgrained Country Squire... irs is something I prefer NOT to have. I like my trucks to obviously be trucks. :aok:

irs is something I prefer NOT to have. I like my trucks to obviously be trucks. :aok:

A lot of people still used horses into the 20's too. To each his own...

Mr T has it mostly, though, to say that an R51 is as capable as an R50 offroad is laughable. Try to get an R51 to articulate to follow the terrain, and you'll be disappointed. Maybe in straight mud, it might be okay, but once articulation comes into play, forget it.

Those who laud the WD21 as an offroad vehicle, while saying the R50 is weak, haven't seen, or experienced the two in action enough. The R50 more than holds it's own with proper armor (which will be heavily utilized) and in many ways holds up better. I've done far less suspension/steering work on Pezzy's R50 than I have on my WD21's or my WD22 with both are equipped with equally terrible steering systems, even "properly" built.

The R51 is not nearly as big as Silverton made it out to be. (to compare it to the Expedition is ridiculous) It is longer than the R50, though, not much wider.

Personally, given the rust issues of the WD21, and, as we're finding out, the R50, I'd venture to say, long term, the R51 might be the best choice, especially if you don't wheel very often. After dealing with the WD21 rust for years, and just the weekend experiencing the same thing on Nige's truck, I can't help but wish that Nissan used better steel. My WD22 Xterra frame is in beautiful shape, only 5 years newer than Nige's truck, or my own WD21s, which have all required extensive patching.

I absolutely loved my WD21's. They were ultra reliable vehicles with the rust issues aside. The steering/IFS still pisses me off in my X, and and I would love the R50/R51 strut/rack and pinion setup. It's far more reliable than the garbage in the WD series trucks.