R50 vs. R51: Which do you prefer?

jwblue

46 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the R50 or R51?

I don't badmouth the R50, but I was pretty happy to have a frame when I was recently patching up my floor in my wd21... because I knew that I basically didn't have to worry about my repairs being structural. Of course, the frame can (and does for some) rust, and the body does actually have to be somewhat structural (roll over protection, doors working right etc.). For me I see the advantages being in terms of longevity and ease of maintenance... having everything separated makes it easier for me to understand how it works (what parts are supporting what, how to fix etc.). But you pay the price in weight (fuel economy). Apparently having a real frame is better for heavy towing too, but I don't tow anything.

If I wasn't fixing everything myself I doubt I'd care...

While it obviously doesn't have the same offroad capability as the previous generations...

This is not obvious at all. It's still a beast off road. The only thing you can possibly say about the suspension is that there are more parts to break. But that doesn't mean that they will unless you heavily abuse it.

• 4 months later...

My r50 has never let me down, on or off road. I haven't even been in an r51 yet so gotta go with what I know. And I still prefer the wd21 but I guess that wasn't an option haha...

While i can't comment on a R50 my Wife has a (R51) 2006 pathfinder and i love the comfort on road but offroad i can't stand driving it. Both my WD and R51 have the same tires Bfg at's mine 33's her's 32's and the R51 always has trouble getting anywhere back woods where we go camping the Independent rear suspension is always a hinderence on rocks and off camber situation.

(The range rover / land rover has IRS also but it uses 4 wheel Air shocks with cross linking when offroad so it makes it more viable.

Giving that i would take the R50 since the only reason i have my pathfinder is for 80% offroad 20% highway.