Smoke coming from front in cab..burned small hole in carpet

NissanNismoZ

So, i went on a family trip and had to take the pathy so it could hold everything.. I start getting to the hills and mountain areas and have to push it a little harder.. and about..50 milesaway from home, i smell something burning..but just think its the belts..so i check on them..they arent hot at all. I keep going and it gets worse..and starts smoking really bad in the middle console, around the shifter.. (btw ive noticed i can feel air coming though where the 4X4 shifter is.) but i slow down to the side and it stops, nearly instantly, so i keep on with caution, holding up traffic, and make it to where i need to be.. i look, and where my foot rests, pushed it against a hot spot and actually burned a hole in my carpet! Ill upload a pic. soon.. but..i had no CEL for the whole trip..where do i begin?! my cat or exhaust werent red or anything..and there wasnt any smoke on the outside.. help?!

Thanks!!!

Here's the pic:

SNC00527.jpg

Edited by NissanNismoZ

true, true. :P

ill take it into shop n have the expert welders fix it for me lol

coz any time i tried..it was "chicken scratch"

the mig welder is fun to use though.

i think we have some spare metal anyway..

I'm fairly certain this is a known issue with pathfinders. The gasket at the Y pipe goes away and blows HOT exhaust right at the floor boards. Sometimes catching the carpet and then the truck on fire.

I'm fairly certain this is a known issue with pathfinders. The gasket at the Y pipe goes away and blows HOT exhaust right at the floor boards. Sometimes catching the carpet and then the truck on fire.

Yep, there's a hole in my floor there. That gasket is a PITA. The dealer one (squishable multiple layers of sheet metal) seems better, but I think it's leaking again anyway. I need to do a proper fix. It's pretty easy to look under the truck and see if you have a hole in your floor...

wow, so it really is as serious as i thought it was.. i had to drive it to work today and its like the problem is getting worse and worse.. ill have to leave it in shop n have them look at it..

Thanks everyone for the ideas! I really appreciate it..

My rubber gasket under the shifter was all torn as well when I bought it but it never got hot enough for anything to catch on fire. doesn't feel the greatest on your leg when your wearing shorts but not hot enough to burn anything. I redid mine using a piece of rubber with a slit in the middle for the shifter than cut a second piece that covers the slit and moves with the shifter, No more heat in the cab.

I just got a new boot from nissan, 30 bucks and no fuss.

Cody if you have to drive it get a baking pan or some flat piece of metal (street sign works lol) and shove it under the carpet. That got me by without burning my truck down for a few days.

It's in shop now.. i'll let them know tomorrow n see if i can give some suggestions.. maybe even finish wiring up my speakers while i'm there with them.. Anyway, if you guys are definitely sure its that, i'll let them know to pull the carpet and cover the hole.. but i have a question..even if they cover it, wont that piece they weld over it get extremely hot too?

Yeah, exhaust gasket is flaky.. so im guessing its bad. anyway, i took a section off a jeep hood and cut off the rust around the hole in my floor and plan on welding that over the hole. any objections? :P

209050_2037494141101_1356681980_32482087_4249348_o.jpg

Edited by NissanNismoZ

so, i welded over it and painted it so it wouldnt rust.. next Q

i drove it home..for a total of 20 miles..and the floorboard got warm, but not hot.. so im guessing a big improvement..and i drove it like i stole it so it would get as hot as possible.. it was hot to the touch, but not so hot it would burn you..

so..looks like ill have to fix the cause of all this.. Where do i get the exhaust gasket? im lost..

Idle the truck and feel around underneath to figure out which gasket is leaking (don't burn yourself). You can get a gasket at any parts store or the dealer. They are a bit different and I like the dealer ones better, but they cost more... but less than $10 in any event, so it doesn't really matter much. Exhaust isn't really a finesse thing, you just have to make it work :)