fuel economy

makie

OK, so for the 3 years that I've owned my truck I've always had this feeling that my 95 (3.0L, 5sp, 200,00KM) is getting terrible mileage but I've never really looked into it. I always get between 320 and 350KM (~220 miles) on a full tank. How does this compare to what is expected? And if it is a lot lower than normal where do I start looking for the cause? It's totally stock, runs great, has new plugs (which made no difference to the mileage), has no check engine lights on... not sure what other info I can provide.

thanks for any insight you can provide!

I have a 93 pathfinder 5 speed that is getting about 16 miles per gallon between city and highway about 160 miles in half of a tank it has 330000 miles on it... maybe a full tune up will help....

Stock '91 with 31" I average 18, 24 on the high side (love coming down from the mountains ) and about 14 on a bad day (going up the mountain). Plain old city driving is right at 18mpg.

What does the actual mileage calculate out to? Fill up and write down the mileage. Next time you fill up write it down again and subtract the first. Divide the mile amount by the gallon amount and it will tell you MPG.

B

yeah I get 17MPG with my stock '91 on 31" tires and thats between city and hwy. (~500km/tank)

averaging 17 to 18 on the 94 5 spd if I keep my foot out of it

not me! I drive like the four horsemen are hot on my tail and still get 17mpg :ar15:

• Like 1

I usually put in about 55 litres and that gets me right around 330 km, which if my math is right that's about 14 mpg. So not as horrible as I thought but definitely lower than 17-18 a lot of you are getting. Aranay, do you have a bigger tank (I'm assuming I have about a 60 litre)? I would kill to get 500km from a full tank but even at 17mpg I wouldn't get anywhere near that.

Any ideas what could be causing the low mileage?

I get around 235 miles to about 13 gallons. There is still about 7 gallons left in the tank when I fill up. I figure it's around 18 mpg and this is both city and highway driving.

Try a basic tune-up and see what that does to your mileage. You can also check out my mileage thread here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29534&st=0&p=561260&fromsearch=1entry561260

When I first purchased my Pathy it was getting 20 MPG on street tires. After I put BFG KM2s on it it dropped to about 18. and its been pretty steady except when I take it off road.

There are several things that can contribute to bad gas milage.

First and easiest is the Air filter. I would hope that you replaced it in the last 3 years so probably not that.

Tire pressure too low.

Tune up: Plugs, wires and timing.

O2 sensor bad

Throttle position sensor faulty or mis-aligned (reads farther open than it actually is)

Faulty Mass air flow sensor.

Automatic transmission shifting faulty (not the proper RPM)

Driving conditions and habits: Flooring it from a stop, a lot of stop and go driving or High speed >75MPH cruising

Of course if your Pathfinder has a 6 inch lift and 44inch tires that wouldn't help either.

Edited by Desert89

Let throw some figures and ideas out there specific to the GAS GUZZLING VG 30I with TBI ! Mine gets between 8-10 MPG is stock forum both city and hiway driving : (.

geez i thought i got crappy MPG i get around 14.8 mpg thats both city and highway. never really go more then but thats why i daily drive my honda 36 mpg

not me! I drive like the four horsemen are hot on my tail and still get 17mpg :ar15:

If we could get some good gas here in Cal instead of that crap they force on us, I'd be getting better gas mileage.

I can tell the difference by the 2nd tank in performance when we go to Az or Nv for a few days, plus the damn crap cost us more here in cal

That would be great makie. I'd be REALLY interested to know what some causes could be to the poor mileage, as I've checked and or replaced just about all of the possibilities listed, with the exception of replacing the TBI system itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda hate to thread-jack here, but I've been having about the same problem lately with the crappy mileage. Completely stock 95 auto - awhile back, I had the exhaust redone to move the y-pipe behind the t-case. In doing so, the O2 sensor only reads off one bank now. It's running bad enough now that it doesn't really want to get out of it's own way (NO takeoff) and at cruising speed, it struggles to the point of downshifting to maintain 60 mph. Unplugging the O2 sensor makes it a little better. Just wanting to get some other opinions, but I think the oxy sensor is looking for more fuel causing it to add more fuel. Whaddaya think? A lot of work to test my theory, so I was wondering what you guys think.

Run the diagnostic code on the ECU to see what it says (instructions on the Garage/How To), check the resistance of the O2 sensor according to the FSM (downloadable in the Garage section) and go from there. I'm not an exhaust expert, but I suspect that having the O2 sensor read off of one bank wasn't the best idea...

B

I get between 18 and 20 mpg in mixed driving. Completely stock mechanically although I sense headers in my future. It is a '92 5-spd w/~325,000 miles...one owner.

BTW...to the guy who posted testing 91 octane gas...forget it. Higher octane only allows you to run higher ignition timing without knock/detonation and if your engine ecu is not tuned for it, it will at best cost you more money for same/similar performance, at worst cost you more $ for lower mpg and power.

Edited by Cachefinder