Simple repair gone haywire!

NissanNismoZ

Okay.. so my 1995 nissan pathfinder had a miss to it.. so i had everything checked at a shop and they said it was the number 5 injector.. well. i took it back home and started the 'project'

I look and find the number 5 injector under the intake..so i remove it (which was a pain! it had so many vacuum lines and sensors) and remove the injector. i check that i have the right screw for the fuel injector ( it was late so i continued it in the morning) and dropped the screw in the fuel injector hole. (AAAHHH!!!!)

i get my mini flashlight and notice the valve is closed and water is standing in there..with the screw!

So i have 2 questions..

i know i dont have the time or patience to remove the engine..or the tools..

Will the water harm the engine? (i had the hood closed and it rained last night..so i guess my luck it got wet in there)

and any ideas o how to remove the screw?

i bought the little magnet and slid it through the air intake hole and it pulled up with it but fell back down on the valve.. (remember the valve is closed)

so i know its there..but where? i cant seem to slip the magnet past the valve.. i pulled the spark plug to see if i could do anything there..but still no luck. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I really didnt expect a simple repair to turn into a project..

i want to do anything but start taking apart the engine..

thank you!

- Cody

Yep, get a magnet on a stick that you can probe with, the stronger the better. I have at least 3 or 4 if were closer. Also, I bet that is gas you are staring at, not water. If the hood was closed, rain will not get in a cylinder...

B

Yep, get a magnet on a stick that you can probe with, the stronger the better. I have at least 3 or 4 if were closer. Also, I bet that is gas you are staring at, not water. If the hood was closed, rain will not get in a cylinder...

B

i bought one from autozone that extends like an antenna but its still too big to fit in the fuel injector hole..so im stuck with the air intake hole.. it might be.. im just hoping it doesnt hurt anything.

but trust me i dont plan on turning the engine over.. i know that's just asking for trouble if it gets into the cylinder..

its like the screw sticks to the valve or air intake walls when i get it on the magnet..

im glad its not water though. it really worried me..

thanks i'll keep it posted when i finally get it out of there.

i appreciate it!

Get a really really strong magnet and use it to "magnetize" something that'll fit in there. The magnetism of whatever object you "magnetize" won't be terribly strong, but it may be good enough to pick up a screw. If that doesn't work, you might try grinding the magnet end on the telescopic one you got down a little so it'll fit. Just a couple of thoughts, best of luck to ya.

Yep, that might work also.

No!! Bad idea if there is gas in the cylinder!!

B

A wet dry Vac then. And :new576:

Whats the chances....... Try it and I'll keep an eye on the obituaries.

I got it out! The screw went to the other side of the valve, so i shook the pathfinder a bit and the vaseline on the screw driver worked. Thanks!

anytime i tried to use a magnet it would stick to the side of the lower intake and fall back in.. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Only now..the injector made for a TIGHT fit..and i had a friedn help me.. and they got the idea of how to put it in.. put the cap that goes over it on it andscrew it in and it will go in as you screw it in! That worked....until the cap actually snapped in half..

Does anyone have any idea what this part is called, or where i could get it?

I know, it was probably a stupid idea to let them do that..but it wouldnt go in at all..

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. It's becoming a lot more trouble than expected..

I wouldn't recommend that installation technique for when you find a new cap either :) Lubricate the o-rings and slowly push the injector in while slightly twisting back and forth. I was able to get a new fuel rail at the wreckers that came with those caps...

got a picture of the part you broke? I still have some leftovers from my old engine that I'd be glad to rid myself of.

no, but i could get a picture if needed.. i think i may have fixed it.. i googled and found something called J.B. Weld?

It's these two tubes you mis and it holds the two pieces of metal together.. like the superglue of metal :D

i'll see how it works out.. but thank you! and i'll let you know if i need it.

Gotta love the support you get from this forum!

no, but i could get a picture if needed.. i think i may have fixed it.. i googled and found something called J.B. Weld?

It's these two tubes you mis and it holds the two pieces of metal together.. like the superglue of metal :D

i'll see how it works out.. but thank you! and i'll let you know if i need it.

Gotta love the support you get from this forum!

I just have to add, like Nunya said, JB weld is just what you called it, super glue for metal. Don't count on glue...

Plenty of people here have parts laying around or are parting out a vehicle so you can easily/cheaply get a replacement part.

What exactly is broken and post a picture of it.

Also consider posting in the 'parts wanted' section...

B

JB Weld is a bandage, not a fix...

yeah.. found that out the hard way when i went to put it back on..needless to say.. it broke again.

Sorry im being delayed with the replies.. im having to work on it at the school auto shop.. but i have most of the intake put back together.. should i really go ahead and get a new injector cap?

I tightened the good side down really tight and it doesnt seem to budge or move at all..

I'd be more than willing to pay through paypal to get the part.. i really appreciate the help everyone!

let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Also.. as bad as i hate to keep going off-topic to this thread i broke a hose on the intake.. (a lot of the hoses seem to be dry-rotted)

anyone know where i could pick these parts up at? (remember this truck sat for atleast a year of no running before i got it)