Timing belt went! uh oh...

zeppelindrummer

Two days ago, my pathy didn't start up. After towing it home, and looking it over with my neighbor, we came to realize my timing belt had gone, so my engine is most likely toast. This happened at a pretty awful time, being the week before finals, and me needing my pathfinder to drive home for Christmas.

Luckily i came across a craigslist posting for a 95 with approximately 75K on it only 7 miles from my house for 800 bucks. It was in a minor accident, and is currently not drivable (not due to much), but it does run.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2100372526.html

So... plan is, start tearing out my old engine when i have time between studying, tests, and work, and drop the new one in the couple of days off i have before i need to drive home.

I'm mostly looking for tips on anything to watch out for?

This summer me and my roomate took out the engine of his Tacoma, and dropped a new one in which wasn't too difficult. I have the tools, and the general know how... just not necessarily the time, because i haven't done a full swap before.

If anybody has any direction to point me in, i'd love all the help i can get!

Thanks!!!

-Zepp

I'd say replace the timing belt. Granted a 95 has the 100k belt, but it will never be easier to replace once its out...

I was thinking the exact same thing. haha, i don't want to have to go through this again. My 207K engine was running amazing too. i feel so stupid, because i've been meaning to check the timing belt since the summer. Work and Class, just got in the way, but that really is no excuse.

There are a few threads about engine swaps that describe what you have to do so it might be easier to look those up. :shrug:

Sucks to hear, but it sounds like you have the solution figured out. I agree about changing the timing belt when it is out, but it sounds like you have severe time constraints. It should be ok for a while if you don't though. Last year I changed the TB on my 95 with 100k on it, and the belt looked fine. Your 91 should have have been on it's 4th timing belt...

B

I bought mine with a blown timing belt and I only had to replace one lifter and the hoses edicer2 was talking about. So you may have gotten lucky. I live in Littleton and can lend a hand if you need it. Good luck!

Only in the American minivan, otherwise they interfere oh so very much. It's in the top 5 killers of pathfinders...

Your timing belt change interval is 60,000 miles. How many miles on yours and when was the last time it was changed?

B

I just checked out the pathfinder, and it seems to be in really good shape. It was missing the lower pulley and fan, and there were no belts on the engine. The guy said that it had been sitting for a year but ran perfect prior to the accident. I'm a little skeptical as to why he didn't fix it. Could alot go wrong with it just sitting for that long without running?

How much would lifter replacement/rebuild run me? as of now, that's looking like a better solution if in reality it didn't get too messed up.

Thanks for the offer Navy! i'll keep that in mind. My old pathfinder currently lives in littleton. Its an 87 black/grey two tone with a hell of an exhaust leak. I sold it to my friend when he wrecked his audi, and he lives off of simms and belleview. Maybe you've seen/heard it around! haha

Thanks!

-Zepp

Wow, someone told me (on here) that they were NI engines... Reason I asked, is because my Scrat (Mazda BP engine) IS a Non-interference engine, and in case there's some freak accident, I don't want to engrave my pistons or bend a valve if my timing belt goes and takes a dump on me. Guess that'll be the first thing I replace, along with the WP and acc belts when I go to pick mine up.

I think I spent around $400 to get mine up and running, it had been sitting for around a year or so as well. Most of the cost was the head gasket set, and changing all the oils since it had been sitting for so long. So you can probably get it done for less. Also it's free to take it apart and see if it's messed up :D

and for ref from ramon's thread

Sorry to hear this man...but you can do this repair and you could do it fairly cheap (under $400)

here is what i would do (what i did)

1. get a new timing belt and install it

2. turn the engine over by hand to make sure there is no "hang ups" or hard spots

3. if that's good crank her up

4. if its missing check your timing from the timing belt install

5. if its still missing you can use isolated pliers to pull 1 spark plug wire off the dizzy at a time

6. if the engine idle hcanges or it dies when you pull that wire that cylinder is firing; if not then you more than likely hit a valve and the valves in that cylinder need to be replaced

so if you do have bent valves you have 2 options, replace the heads with a different set or rebuild the ones you have...when i broke mine i didnt have a set of extra heads and the JY i was part time working in didnt have a trashed engine i could take heads off of so we rebuilt it...you could also do a compression test...

I had no experience in this and the gf at that time's dad helped me out and the job wasn't bad.

Tools needed:

-------------

1. torque wrench

2. alan socket for head bolts (IIRC it was 10mm)

3. valve spring compressor

4. valve lapper and compound (the one we got was like 5-10)

5. FSM Reference

6. Metric sockets (8, 10, 12, 14)

Parts needed:

-------------

1. master gasket set (this has head gaskets, valve seals, cam seals, instake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc)

2. 6 intake valves (we replaced all to not take the chance that a valve in anohter cylinder may have been bent)

3. 6 exhaust valves (same as #2)

My trophies (2nd one from the right is straight):

20500780046_large.jpg

20500780045_large.jpg

I agree with unccpathfinder.

Also, the situation with the 95 seems sketchy. I mean, how do YOU know that the motor WORKS?

Why is the fan off? Why are the belts off? Maybe this dude broke a T-Belt while driving and that caused him to have an accident and he started the repair before giving up?

What I"m trying to get at is this: If you are going to spend the time (of which you don't have much of) make sure the engine works before swapping it in. If he can't start the motor for you, treat it as a non-working motor.... It sure would suck going through the swap only to find out it didn't work for you....

Since my wife's Hardbody died of a t-belt snap (and other unrelated engine issues), first thing I did was change the t-belts on my Pathys when I bought them. Then I knew the interval for the next change, and had no looming worry.

now is a good time for a vg33 swap :new576:

haha, that's what i've been wanting to do, but this is here, and will be a bit easier.

I told the guy i wouldn't buy it unless he proved it ran, so he's gonna get the pulley, belts, and fan and have it running for me before i buy it. I almost just want to fix the body damage myself, put my old bumper on, and see if i could turn a big profit selling it as a whole truck.

I would have to search for a new engine though, and that isn't sounding too fun, especially if this one really does have such low miles.

I'll report back after it runs, and i'll probably post a classifieds thread soon so all the vultures out there can have your pick! :)

everything seemed to be in great shape when i briefly looked over the interior, and the exterior as well. I've got dibs on the center console with cupholders though! :beer: :beer:

I've got my last final in an hour, so i'm really excited to have that stress over, and to begin wrenchin on my pathfinders!

I'll also be able to update a bit more often since i'm not going to be spending every waking minute not at work studying. And i'm sure i'll have some questions when i begin the swap! I'll start a new thread, and will try to take pictures as i go to maybe assist others when they do a first time swap?

-Zepp

Since my wife's Hardbody died of a t-belt snap (and other unrelated engine issues), first thing I did was change the t-belts on my Pathys when I bought them. Then I knew the interval for the next change, and had no looming worry.

Yep! my rule as well.