Need help with tire upgrade

onefast87

hi guys

im a proud owner of a 91 Pathinder, and with winter arriving very quickly i am looking to do a tire upgrade.

i was wondering what is the biggest tire i can fit on stock rims/ride height without rubbing or cutting the fenders.

im looking at these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Nankang-Mudstar-Radial-M-T-Tire-s-31x10-50R15-31-15-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad9b4a119QQitemZ390199550233QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fTires

here is what my truck looks like

pathy003.jpg

as Adamzan said 31x10.5s. Depending on how sagged out the front is you 'may' have to tough your torsion bars. Get 5 so you have a matching size spare (which is proably smaller than what you have now anyway) If you have a blowout you don't exactly want different height tires on the same axle, not too good for the internals (one side will ALWAYS be spinning faster than the other that way)

15x6

I posted a week ago about wheel/tires sizes. From what I understand, the wheels you have, 15x6, are too skinny to fit 31x10.5 on. The other wheels nissan offered were wider. I ordered some black steel wheels and hankook atm tires last week and should have them this week, after I get them installed I'm going to adjust the torsion bars and get an alignment done, then we'll see how it looks. I may get new rear springs and adjust the front higher again. Will post pictures after I get the wheels on. Most tires stores can get the stock nissan wheels for you if you'd rather save a few dollars, but literally, just a few dollars.

so unless i get some wider rims, i should just stick with 235/75-15's?

235/75-15 are essentially 29x8" tires so remember, they make 30x9" and of course 31x10.5".

30x9" tires would be a nice intermediate and be in the 'recommended range' by the manufacturer for those rims.

B

Is the width of the wheel just what you'd think, just measure the width?

I think I have the stock "lego" wheels, the ones with the little triangle like hubcap thing. Are those wider? Because I just switched from 33x12.5 down to 31x10.5 on them...

Stock steel/chrome wheels are 15x6 as stated, stock Lego's are 15x7.

And yes you can run a 31x10.5 on the 15x6 chrome wheels. Yes they will bulge more than "normal" but no your not likely to blow a bead, even when wheeling.

I ran BFG AT's on them for several years and had zero issue thumbsup.gif

thanks for the information guys.

if i did get the 31x10.5 would that throw off the speedometer?

also would these nankang tires be good for winter driving?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Nankang-Mudstar-Radial-M-T-Tire-s-31x10-50R15-31-15-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ad9b4a119QQitemZ390199550233QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fTires

Edited by onefast87

Nope, I don't think that those tires would be good for winter, at least a Canadian winter. :my2cents:

Here's a decent link on buying snow tires. http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp?type=tires

Get something with tons of sipes, designated with the "mountain snowflake" logo, an LT sidewall rating and you'll be good to go.

Remember, rubber hardens with lower temps. Typical MT and AT tires will harden up at 7* C, while winter rated tires remain flexible at lower temps.

Winter tires, because they are softer, often feel "squishy". For that reason, make sure they have a good load rating and strong sidewall (hence the LT designation).

Great brands are Nokian, Pirelli, Yokohama and Bridgestone (DMV1). I run Nokians (AT) and Pirelli (Winter Scorpion), and I bought them for about that of those Nankangs. Who makes Nankang? I've never heard of them...

cheers,

d

Edited by lint