my pathfinder bogging at 5000 rpm

ChrisPerna

so i have a problem with my pathfinder, it wont go above 5000 rpm, i changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, put lucas in every fill up. i have a check engine light but its for a egr valve. the truck is getting about 125 miles to a full tank and i usally dont drive it that hard. im lost right now. im thinking it may be a fuel problem but im unsure. thank you for your time!

btw the truck was floored the whole time, from the begining to end i did not let go of the gas

Edited by ChrisPerna

Is it an Auto or a Manual? You should check out that the truck transmission is not stuck in limp mode. If your check engine light stays on that may cause some protection system to turn on as well. A bad EGR valve will really make the engine suck gas which is why your MPG rating is so bad right now.

Is it an Auto or a Manual? You should check out that the truck transmission is not stuck in limp mode. If your check engine light stays on that may cause some protection system to turn on as well. A bad EGR valve will really make the engine suck gas which is why your MPG rating is so bad right now.

the trans is an auto, and i dont think its in limp mode. when i drive it normal it shifts fine through all the gears just like my other one did. it does the same thing in nutural too but it will eventually goto 6000 rpm cause theres no load on the motor.

Edited by ChrisPerna

The ECU is definitely slowing you down. Try to reset the check engine light and see if you can rev to 6000 then.

thats what i thought so i changed it to the one in my other truck, other truck is still fine and this still bogs

The transmission isn't shifting, which means there's an electrical or fuel delivery problem of some sort. There's a lot of parameters that have to be met by both computers (ECU and TCU) in order for the transmission to shift.

Does it throw any codes...? I assume that if you swapped ECUs you would have checked for codes first. :shrug:

if i reset the light it still bogs, it has a brand new air filter, and for fuel presure...where is the god damn schrader valve????, the only code is for the egr valve, and i will pull a plug today but it is dev running rich...i can smell it.

Running rich.. MAF sensor, O2 sensor, timing, poor ignition, ECU Coolant Temperature Sensor, and vacuum lines are all I can think of. EGR wouldn't make it smell that rich at idle and if you have a code for it, it's probably the control solenoid since it's the only electronic part in that system.

6.25mpg?I say the colant gauge.The egr will pump oil into the air filter box but shouldnt cause any bogging.I'd clean the trottle body just for the hell of it also,a dirty as hell one wont work right and cause bogging.

Edited by nismothunder
  • Like 1

6.25mpg?I say the colant gauge.The egr will pump oil into the air filter box but shouldnt cause any bogging.I'd clean the trottle body just for the hell of it also,a dirty as hell one wont work right and cause bogging.

EGR has nothing to do with oil. You're talking about the PCV system. :togo:

Chris, replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor... I'd be willing to bet it's malfunctioning and is just telling the computer to dump the fuel in.

if there is anyone local who can help me fix it i have a decant 95 pathfinder 4x4 with many good parts on it that you can take whatever you need.

I think I've told you about 3 times now but tungsten lives like 30 minutes from you. He is good with these trucks and can probably help you. :rolleyes:

so i replaced the plugs 1000 miles ago and there fouled already. i give up on this thing.

What color is the fouling?

Can you take a picture of the bottom of the spark?

reading_spark_plugs.jpg

At least use that.

I still think your timing is off a tooth.

he's not at 6k.... I know what 6k in a pathy sounds like..

LOL and at 6500 the lifters start floating..

I think not, Plenty of 300zx guys have bumped the limter to 7 & 7500RPM on the stock motor with no ill effects to the lifters or valves.

Higher springs are recomended above 7000RPM (to prevent valve float) and solid lifters are recomended (to prevent lifter collapse) but the rest of the internals can handle up to 9000rpm