Rancho Struts for the R50

Timmons

If anyone is looking for struts and strut mounts for your AC 2" lift on an R50, do not purchase the Rancho struts from www.4x4parts.com. They suck!! Mine went out less than 4 months, nothing but problems.

I just installed new OEM Nissan strut mounts (do not use the KYB strut mounts, they suck), KYB-GR2 struts and new wheel bearings. Huge difference from the Rancho's by far. Definitely a big difference in handling with the KYB-GR2 struts. Better quality and better ride when sportin the 2" AC Lift from www.4x4parts.com

Tim

If anyone is looking for struts and strut mounts for your AC 2" lift on an R50, do not purchase the Rancho struts from www.4x4parts.com. They suck!! Mine went out less than 4 months, nothing but problems.

I just installed new OEM Nissan strut mounts (do not use the KYB strut mounts, they suck), KYB-GR2 struts and new wheel bearings. Huge difference from the Rancho's by far. Definitely a big difference in handling with the KYB-GR2 struts. Better quality and better ride when sportin the 2" AC Lift from www.4x4parts.com

Tim

What is the actual stock/part number of the KYB-GR2 struts you recommend? I think they have a few different 'classes.' Thanks, Scott

What is the actual stock/part number of the KYB-GR2 struts you recommend? I think they have a few different 'classes.' Thanks, Scott

Part numbers KYB3350150 and KYB3350160 KYB-GR2 struts.

I had my Original struts from the factory for about 60,000 km when I got my 2" lift from OME I replaced them with the OME struts that got blown in a very very short period .

Luckily I had my original struts still stored and i have mounted them on again and they are doing Perfecto .

One should not believe to much the adds for the aftermarket products .

Edited by TheCrow

I had my Original struts from the factory for about 60,000 km when I got my 2" lift from OME I replaced them with the OME struts that got blown in a very very short period .

Luckily I had my original struts still stored and i have mounted them on again and they are doing Perfecto .

I just ordered an OME lift kit for my 01 pathy a month ago...i was really pissed off that i couldnt get the OME struts anywhere and i had to "settle" with the KYB GR2. I called a dozen places in North America to source out the OME struts to go with my kit and they were on back order!!!!!!! I found out later from the company itself that they were in a "redesign" stage and they wouldnt be available for at least 2 months at best!. Now that i read this... im glad to have "settled" for the KYB's..in fact my truck drives absolutely amazing..i did all the work myself, a COMPLETE overhaul of the suspension and its connections. It drives amazing off road and on. I couldnt be happier!

P.S. i actually wish they sold the HD coils for the back cuz with 2 people and 200lbs of "stuff" in the back the rear sags just a little!!!

Tye

I just ordered an OME lift kit for my 01 pathy a month ago...i was really pissed off that i couldnt get the OME struts anywhere and i had to "settle" with the KYB GR2. I called a dozen places in North America to source out the OME struts to go with my kit and they were on back order!!!!!!! I found out later from the company itself that they were in a "redesign" stage and they wouldnt be available for at least 2 months at best!. Now that i read this... im glad to have "settled" for the KYB's..in fact my truck drives absolutely amazing..i did all the work myself, a COMPLETE overhaul of the suspension and its connections. It drives amazing off road and on. I couldnt be happier!

P.S. i actually wish they sold the HD coils for the back cuz with 2 people and 200lbs of "stuff" in the back the rear sags just a little!!!

Tye

Easy fix Tye, I have air lifts for the rear. No more sag. They are bags that go inside of the springs in the rear. Buy the complete package with compressor, hook ups and bags and all you have to do is press the button. I use this set up for towing an enclosed trailer and it works great. It's actually kind of an overkill considering the 2"AC lift and Rancho 9000ix shocks work fine by themselfs without help from the air lifts.

Timmons

So out of all the options available for front struts, which ones do you guys actually recommend. I guess what is the best combination between the AC and the OME? I am hoping to shortly be able to purchase the 2" lift so I want to make sure I get the best set altogether (front and rear). It seems everyone has their own bias but I'm not really familiar with either so any input is helpful.

So out of all the options available for front struts, which ones do you guys actually recommend. I guess what is the best combination between the AC and the OME? I am hoping to shortly be able to purchase the 2" lift so I want to make sure I get the best set altogether (front and rear). It seems everyone has their own bias but I'm not really familiar with either so any input is helpful.

Whats working for me right now is the 2" AC lift www.4x4parts.com with the KYB-GR2 struts in the front and the Rancho adjustable 9000ix rear shocks. For rims and tires I have the BF Goodrich A/T's 265/70/17R and the rims are black from Pro Comp Extreme. I should just post the picture. Anyways, working great both on road and off-road. Very firm ride however, not your soft station wagon feeling but who wants to drive that? Overall you get used to the ride being firm and everything is great. I had to purchase 4 wheel adapters due to the offset of the wheel and tire because of your clearance from the strut is pretty close. No problems with the adapters as long as they are put on correctly and tightened down slowly. Otherwise those adapters extend your tires out just enough to make your R50 look tough sporten those BFG AT's. Hope that helps.

On the OME lift, It's my understanding that it only gives you about 1.2 inches of lift vs the 2" AC Lift. Anyone want to chime in on that? I believe folks that use the OME springs end up attaching a stut mount spacer for extra lift.

Tim

Edited by Timmons

Umm not sure but when I was looking OME doesnt make a 2 inch lift for R50's. If they do and I am mistaken please tell me where you found them, because all I can find is a 1.75" lift.

Just wanted to chime in since I've been running the Rancho RSX front struts for 3 years. That's 3 years with nothing but good performance and I off-road on moderate Colorado trails about 2-3 times every month. I don't know if something changed in manufacturing since mine might be older than those that are failing, but wanted to let you know there are some satisfied customers out there.

In saying that, I run with another 2" AC lifted R50 and he swears by the KYB GR2's.

Umm not sure but when I was looking OME doesnt make a 2 inch lift for R50's. If they do and I am mistaken please tell me where you found them, because all I can find is a 1.75" lift.

I am not sure if it is 1.75” , when I bought them from the dealer he said it is a 2” lift and frankly I didn’t check if they were less .

I have fixed them and they were good enough to clear out my 265/75/R16 tires .

This is the kit I have used and when compared to the stock silver pathfinder next to mine I was about 6.5 cm higher which is a combination of 1” larger tire and the lift .

31052009023.jpg

IMAGE_058.jpg

so ill add my two cents worth now too...ive only had my OME lift for 3wks now...LUV IT! GR-2 struts not OME. LUV them...stiff like sports car in turns...i measured my rear fender height when i installed and i gained 2.5" + another full inch with new tires. Then i hooked up the panhard rod and lost over an inch of lift!!! Need longer Rod or a Rod drop down bracket to realign rear end. (not a big deal now) If you read about the lift it is actually a .5" lift (rated for .5" over stock height with "X" number of lbs over stock) "X" varied by the spring rate...light, medium or heavy duty.

One other useful piece of info is that the stock springs on my '01 were rated 115#/inch...the "1.75" OME HD coils are rated 200#/inch, the MD coils are 145 #/inch and the 2" AC ccoils are 165#/inch. So far ive tested mine out on and off road and i am pleased with my setup so far!! Just wish that HD coils were avail for the back of my 01.

So I actually started pricing out the differences between the AC and OME 2" lifts and they actually come out to be about the same amount (~$460) that is if you don't buy struts. So really it comes down to which coils and rear shocks are best, but from the sound of it everyone is happy with rear shocks and coils all around. I guess the AC lift is just slightly taller? Nothing you could really tell a difference with though. I also think I have decided to buy the KYB-GR2 struts since everyone agrees that they can do the job well. So do I need strut spacers as well, or can I get away without them? If so where can I get those? Thanks for the input.

So I actually started pricing out the differences between the AC and OME 2" lifts and they actually come out to be about the same amount (~$460) that is if you don't buy struts. So really it comes down to which coils and rear shocks are best, but from the sound of it everyone is happy with rear shocks and coils all around. I guess the AC lift is just slightly taller? Nothing you could really tell a difference with though. I also think I have decided to buy the KYB-GR2 struts since everyone agrees that they can do the job well. So do I need strut spacers as well, or can I get away without them? If so where can I get those? Thanks for the input.

if you go the way i did...OME HD coils up front...you dont need spacers..the heavier spring carries the front end high enuf not to need spacers...people just get them to "level"out the look of the truck. They are a heavier spring rate tan the AC's so i dont think they will tire or sag as soon personally!!

Tye

Just parked my pathy next to a stock one of the same year today...im at least 3-4 inches taller with lift and 31" tires!!!

Oh yeah... its the struts and shocks from OME that are sooooo much more$$$ the springs are actually cheaper!!!

OME HD coils should settle approx .5" which is why dealers often sell them as 1.75" springs. AC's settle just as much, if not more (depending on vehicle factors) and from a design standpoint, OME's HD offering are far superior. You'll spend less and get more out of them.

That's just my :my2cents:

OME HD coils should settle approx .5" which is why dealers often sell them as 1.75" springs. AC's settle just as much, if not more (depending on vehicle factors) and from a design standpoint, OME's HD offering are far superior. You'll spend less and get more out of them.

That's just my :my2cents:

nicely put...i couldnt agree more!!!

TYE

OME HD coils vs AC Coils - Seems like personal preference only but they both do the job. I just would not go with the Rancho's up front at all. After installing the KYB-GR2, the handling was fantastic. I hardley get any top out now.

Curious to hear from you or tekazgtr as to why you went with the MD OME coils in the back instead of HD. Thx.

for the 2001...they only offer the MD coils...no HD or theyd be on there now!!! Thats the only reason for me. Besides the HD coils in the back would raise it significantly more than the front therefore causing extreme "RAKE" which everyone seems to try and avoid! (the "tow truck" or "drag car" look) The mfr only recommends the HD coils up front if you have bumper/winch combo as well! I dont yet and the ride is just fine!!

Tye

• 5 years later...

N00b ALERT. Big N00b here. I'm a N00b.

Is that clear? No one's going to ask any rhetorical questions or be a smart ass? I promise I wont.

I just picked up my first 4x4 recently for $500 as a rusty '98 Chilkoot Trail 5 spd that came with 31x10.5's on 15" yota pickup rims and am looking to replace the very blown suspension (springs and shocks are poooooched). The truck is just intended to be a very capable camping rig. Not looking to do any major Moab-level or multi day treks with it any time soon.

It is being built one a budget.

Questions:

1. What specifically is the 'AC 2" lift' that I see so many raving about? (respond with link please..?)

I have found a couple different 2" lift kits on 4x4parts.com but am unsure which one exactly y'all are talking about http://www.4x4parts.com/i-18981166-pathfinder-suspension-package.html

2. I notice people often running HD springs up front but am curious (if there are any suspension gurus in the house) if this will wear on stock-rate struts/shocks if there is no additional weight on the front end of the vehicle. Often when budget honda guys cut the progressive section out of their springs and run strictly on the more aggressive-rate portion of the spring, it eventually tears the shock valving apart because there is too much force extending the strut/shock.

3. Does there actually exist a KYB (being brand specific because 'GR-2' now is labelled as 'Excel-G') 'lift' strut? I've heard that the KYB struts that come with the 2" spring/strut/shock lifts kits aren't actually a longer/longer actuating strut.

My current plan is to use used springs on KYB Excel-G's (Gr-2's), new OEM tops, and camber bolts up front, and used springs with KYB Gas-A-Just in the rear. The springs are out of another '98 Chilkoot Trail and hopefully aren't sagged. Hopefully the KYB struts only do come in one length so a front end lift later on wouldn't make the struts useless and replacing the rear shocks would be a relatively cheap expense.
Extended brake hoses front and rear, and dis-connectable, adjustable sway bar end links in the front (and possibly rear). Probably going to re-purpose some jeep end links as it doesn't appear 4x4parts.com offers any :(

Perhaps a pan-hard bar mount relocation bracket as well.

Lately I've been considering that perhaps a body lift is actually the way to go as far as preserving front-end handling characteristics when zooming down logging roads as some kits claim to not alter suspension angles whatsoever, but 2" seems like a mild enough suspension lift.

ANYWHO, any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Mike