Trailing Arm Differences

silverton

So, I was looking at my truck today, and noticed something odd. A bar that hooks to the rear suspension was kind of bent, I compared it to the one on the otherside, and it was straight. Mister510 comes over and I point it out to him and he says "oh, looks like you bent one of your trailing arms!" and then he went on to say "hmm, never noticed before, but yours are different than mine."

And he was correct. My rig has tubular style trailing arms, and his has like... uh, mini I beam trailing arms. Best way I can think of describing them. Went to the junkyard, found about 5-6 different pathy's there. the only one that had the tubular style like mine was a 2/95 build date. I think the latest year before that was a 93. Didn't have big enough tools to pull one off either, so I'm still stuck with a bent one. :thumbsdown:

So my question is this, which is stronger, and do they swap out between years? I would assume they are same length/eyelet size.

So my question is this, which is stronger, and do they swap out between years? I would assume they are same length/eyelet size.

"I Beam" (based on reports by other members), Yes, Yes.

Some claim the round ones slide over stuff easier. To remedy that while keeping the early style TA's a couple people have welded angle iron to the bottom edges.

Thanks for the prompt reply! I'll be replacing both of mine with the earlier style, just have to find a truck where they didn't set it down on the trailing arms... lol

I have heard and seen more than a few bent tubluars. Online and in JY's

I have NEVER seen a bent I beam on a pathfinder. I have landed directly(slammed more like) on my I beams and all it did is pick the wheel off the ground momentarily.

I asked about this in another thread guess no one saw it, a pathfinder in the local junkyard, think it was an 87 or 88 had the I beam style TA's and one was broke, didn't know when they switched them to tubular.

Personally, instead of doing all the work to get a new set, I'd just weld the ends onto some nice strong DOM tubing, like 1/4" wall stuff that the ends could slide into to get the right length...I know someone who SAS'ed did this to make new lowers while they used the stock lowers as uppers....

i swapped from the I beams to the tubular and htey're the same length...my fear was that the I beams are cast and I was afraid they would fracture instead of bend and i'd prefer a bend than a break bc with a bend you're not rendered helpless...not sure what it would take to fracture one but it was the justification that i had

I seem to remember that someone, don't remember who, welded angle iron onto the tubular ones as a couple have done to the i beam versions, but this time it was to to strengthen them.

I seem to remember that someone, don't remember who, welded angle iron onto the tubular ones as a couple have done to the i beam versions, but this time it was to to strengthen them.

Same person who used plastic wood to beef up sliders...dunno who

Is 4x4parts the only other cats that manufacture aftermarket rear arms? I know Calmini makes their own, but daggum who can afford that junk. I have some schedule 80, 1 inch tubing behind my shed, I though about making some...and possibly moving the axle back a bit...

Same person who used plastic wood to beef up sliders...dunno who

nah, this was a long time ago, it may have been someone on the wd21forums

-------------------

Edit: Figured it out... it was 88

New stuff: 4/16/05

Upgraded rear axle lower control arms by welding on 3/4" angle iron to deflect rocks and strengthen the arms.

1156250194_large.jpg

Edited by RedPath88

Is 4x4parts the only other cats that manufacture aftermarket rear arms? I know Calmini makes their own, but daggum who can afford that junk. I have some schedule 80, 1 inch tubing behind my shed, I though about making some...and possibly moving the axle back a bit...

Steevo makes em :)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=20099&st=40

fleurys did it too :P:itsallgood: