intake project on the go

Hey all.

I just started building a new air plenum for a cold air system/popcharger, maybe even some boost farther down the road. Reason being, I hate that giant airbox on my TB. I'e got everything mocked up and had it in today. Works great, so I'm gonna pop over to a friends for some welding and finishing. Two things I need help with tho: I'm losing the warm air intake, so do I need that vacuum setup from inside the normal plenum or can i just cap it off behind the TB without any issues?

Second, has anybody disconnected their AB valve? My plan is to weld the fitting for it to the new plenum, but If I don't have to I'd rather not.

Updates to come as the project continues...

Hey all.

I just started building a new air plenum for a cold air system/popcharger, maybe even some boost farther down the road. Reason being, I hate that giant airbox on my TB. I'e got everything mocked up and had it in today. Works great, so I'm gonna pop over to a friends for some welding and finishing. Two things I need help with tho: I'm losing the warm air intake, so do I need that vacuum setup from inside the normal plenum or can i just cap it off behind the TB without any issues?

Second, has anybody disconnected their AB valve? My plan is to weld the fitting for it to the new plenum, but If I don't have to I'd rather not.

Updates to come as the project continues...

up untill this week, i was running without my AB, and seen no difference. Then i tried hooking up, and noticed i ran like hell(think the valve itself was open), so recapped. just my 2 cents, but i would be cautious, cause truth be told when it comes to a)emissions gear b)ab im all about trial and error....but im learning fast :P

if I disconnect my AB valve it starts up really funny every time. It also backfires. And if any vacuum lines become unattached, it runs like sh*t.

AB vave stays; thank guys.

and yes there wil be pics, but i'm not taking any until i start the welding and finishing.. when ever i get a day off. you'll get a start to finish just in case you wanna try it.

has anyone disconnected the warmair intake assy?

Edited by LittleReD89

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I just spent the day with a welder and some tools and this is what i have so far. Anybody with a TB might recognize some pieces, as i decide to keep it nissan, and used a pathey plenum for the fab.

GEDC0019.jpg?t=1275795520

31176_437715607039_646067039_6143510_1234483_n.jpg

GEDC0018.jpg?t=1275795520

GEDC0015.jpg

it still looks messy, but I plan on going to town with some putty and paint.

Al ahould be done by next weekend...and my camera sucks

cheers

Someone else built a "cover" like that to run a snorkel off of, and he said it was to restrictive or something causing it to not run well so he removed it.

I was thinkin that swift 90 might give u some trouble...

yes but the 318 doesn't have a bulb poping up in the center for the injector body.

I think the Nissan tbi wants air to be able to "fall" into it equally from all directions. since you've got barely a fingerwidth all the way arround the injector body.

I'm thinking like this (o}--

Instead of what he has o=

and this Is how I draw stock

./.........\\\.

|....O.....}\\\.

.\........./...\\\

lol

Edited by MY1PATH

I was worried about restriction too so I mocked all the pieces together with duct tape(the king of tools), thru on a popcharger and took it for a drive. Even with a mesh screen over the TB(you know, just in case everything fell to pieces) I noticed it ran a little better.

I'm not gonna waste all this time without knowing if there was a pay off at the end. And anyhow, has anyone with TB even looked at their air filter; half way thru it's life: clean all the way around, dirty where the air comes in. That's part of what gave me the idea first. Than I saw the LPperformance plastic one and was sold. Just too bad they're not around anymore; coulda bought one and used my day off for something else.

Edited by LittleReD89

Someone else built a "cover" like that to run a snorkel off of, and he said it was to restrictive or something causing it to not run well so he removed it.

yup, this is true.

The guy ended up with a cover that was nearly as big as the stock filter housing to get it to run rigt.

as far as the hot air connection, just plug off the vaccum line and get rid of the flex line coming off of hte manifold.

I personnaly like mine on it, it warms up faster and therefore runs better faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I finally got it done. I didn't remember to take enough pics for a start to finish, but I'll atleast show you where it came from and the finished results

36733_442686207039_646067039_6289858_5250725_n.jpg

36733_442686227039_646067039_6289859_7724423_n.jpg

36733_442686277039_646067039_6289862_6626316_n.jpg

36733_442686242039_646067039_6289860_4800257_n.jpg

sounds fantastic and runs a whole bunch better too.

Popped a little filter on the AB valve(not in pic) and it worked like a charm

I would be interested in what type of filter you put on the intake of the AB valve.

Just finished my epic emissions problems(woot i passed), and come to find out my problem was my ab valve. Im looking at building a cold air intake, but since my emissions fiasco, im a bit frightened of farting around with my ab valve or egr :P

• 1 month later...

actually tons of ppl put a cone filter there and get good results. I see your reasoning and it makes sense with reguard to power not engine operation....

I think alot of outside air is drawn in from arround the headlight(esp if the rubber faps are missing from aroound it) and also from the fender if the existing air box hole has not been pluged.

...cold air is denser so it mixes more fuel which can create more power but that does not mean that hot air makes an engine run bad. Infact the tbi uses a hot air duct from the exhaust to heat up the intake and 20years down the road the control for this duct is worn and lets the intake it much hotter(some actually brun ppl) then when it was new. Red89 has removed that duct all together and has less place to trap heat so his overall intake charge is prolly cooler.

actually tons of ppl put a cone filter there and get good results. I see your reasoning and it makes sense with reguard to power not engine operation....

I think alot of outside air is drawn in from arround the headlight(esp if the rubber faps are missing from aroound it) and also from the fender if the existing air box hole has not been pluged.

Yep, while in motion, an open cone there gets mostly cool air. Idling on the otherhand it is pulling nice hot engine bay air, but you aren't going for power at idle. Installing a little sheild would make it full time cold.