Radiator Relocation

sumguy67

I'm going to relocate the rad and I'm considering a shallow angled roof mount.

I also thought of a hood mount.

Just wondering if anyone has gone through this and what their experience was.

I have a rad and shroud out of an F150 that I considered using for a little more cooling as well.

Any thoughts or advice welcome........

Well, no. I will say that no Nissan truck/SUV I have ever owned had an issue with overheating so the stock system should work if properly relocated. Depending on the angle, I can see various issues but if you went with a shallow angle, as high up as possible with e-fans and the hood face vent cowls removed, it might work fine...

B

If you swapped to an E-fan and removed the AC condenser, you would probably have enough space to leave it in front of the engine. I have about 4"-5" of space between the pulleys and the e-fan on mine.

If you swapped to an E-fan and removed the AC condenser, you would probably have enough space to leave it in front of the engine. I have about 4"-5" of space between the pulleys and the e-fan on mine.

Hmmmmm... you have me thinking!

Looks like the biggest limit on chopping the front is the steering box so that may work.

I'll have to go do some more measuring....

I agree with Grim. I did a Taurus swap, and man it really opened up the room...love the build pics by the way...keep it comin.

Taurus fan is exactly what I was thinking......

The only way I've ever seen a rad mounted other then stock is in the bed,and these where mud trucks,since the mud would coat then/crack them and not allow cooling...Since you making a snub noise,I'm guessing its going to be a hard core trail truck,I would advise not putting on the roof or hood becasue what happens if you roll it,you going to have a smashed pathy,that wont be able to limp home...

The only way I've ever seen a rad mounted other then stock is in the bed,and these where mud trucks,since the mud would coat then/crack them and not allow cooling...Since you making a snub noise,I'm guessing its going to be a hard core trail truck,I would advise not putting on the roof or hood becasue what happens if you roll it,you going to have a smashed pathy,that wont be able to limp home...

Ahhhh.... good point!!

I will be running mud. I have a few good spots at my place.

And the creek bed is a tempting place that could (or will) roll me over. HA!

nissans are overcooled, i ran my truck on the hottest day of the year with no fan shroud and it didnt even run hot at all, the radiator is pretty big and has a nice thickness to it. you could probably run it with a radiator half the size and it will be fine

whats your coolant ratio? If you are having heat issues or are expecting heat issues this may be the culprit...

"coolant" itslef isn't really that thermaly efficent. the reason we use it is becuse It prevents 3 bad things, Boil over, freezing and corrosion. Its just called "coolant" because we mix it with water to cool the engine.

50/50 coolant/water = normal

75/50 coolant/water= will hold more heat, some people do this in the winter becuase the engine warms up faster and holds heat better for their heater

100% coolant= this has been known to overheat some engines just beacause somone thought it would be better to just run straight coolant.

25/75 coolant/water= very efficent but may have boil/ expansion problems, corrosion might be a concern too for long term use. engine may start up dead cold after as little as an hour of sitting.

100% water= don't do it.

additives like water wetter etc. some of them work, use the right one with a 50/50 mix and your effiencey will increase.

nissans are overcooled, i ran my truck on the hottest day of the year with no fan shroud and it didnt even run hot at all, the radiator is pretty big and has a nice thickness to it. you could probably run it with a radiator half the size and it will be fine 

there is some truth to this,

years ago I had a radiator so dirty that you could lay it flat and puddle water on the outside. my temps averaged 3/4 back then....

(a new radiator revealed my thermostat had failed because I couldn't get it to warm up after lol)

On the Z's, radiator is mounted at about a 45 degree angle. If you, say, relocate the lower locating pins somewhere aft of the steering and go with shrouds and e fans it would stay pretty cool. Maybe a shorter, wider radiator? Build looks sweet btw!