Lsd Rear Axle Fluid, What Do You All Use?

Used redline 75w90 gl5 It is super smooth and is classified as an MPG saving oil on some sites.

Little pricey but If its gonna be in there for 2 years better make it good right?

yes I'd do it again and again and again.(actually it got redline in both diffs, tranny & t-case)

A TSB was issued by Nissan regarding LSD fluids and they specifically recommend Pennzoil LSD differential oil when changing the fluid.

Redline is some good sh*t.

i use Lucas 75w90 because it has the lsd additive in it. i think the Lucas lsd additive is better then most of the other lsd additives out there.

though I've never tried their gear oil or lsd additives, Lucas seems to have done a pretty solid job with all their other products.

Lucas 75w90 would definitely be a safe bet :)

I use the napa brand 75-80-85 because its a lsb fluid,I've also used the supertech 85-145 gl5...but I change it every 15k so its fine in my book,Lucas is great stuff,I dont know about redline because I've never used it but Lucas is great...

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but my question is in reference to the differential and T-Case fluids...

I've been through my Hayne's, Chilton, and factory manuals and they all seem to have different capacities for the Front Diff, Rear Diff, and T-Case. Also, some of the capacities are in liters, some in quarts, and some in pints (US or UK? IDK). I know it doesn't need to be exact when adding to proper capacity because I'm only filling to the fill holes; however, if I had an approximate capacity for each I could at least buy the proper amounts for my 93 SE-V6 (w/ LSD).

So, can anyone help me with the capacities for:

1) T-Case

2) Front Diff

3) Rear Diff

Please specify if liters or pints (US not UK).

One more question: Anyone have any experience or knowledge regarding the difference/effectiveness of regular vs. synthetic gear oils?

Thanks. Buy the way, I'm going to use Lucas 75W90 for my LSD and Penzoil 75w90 for the front diff.

I used Castrol HYPOY C 75w90 and it works great. My lsd works perfectly and is nice and quiet around corners (I heard if you don't use the right fluid it would make noise)

Capacities:

T-case - Quarts 2.375 Liters 2.2

Rear Diff - Pints 5.875 Liters 2.8

Front Diff - Pints 3.125 Liters 1.5

Edited by Steve_RI

I'll chime in with another question(s). what is the recomended interval to change these fluids. and I read that putting lsd fluid in non lsd is ok so iwas wondering if it does anything to performance?

I'll chime in with another question(s). what is the recomended interval to change these fluids. and I read that putting lsd fluid in non lsd is ok so iwas wondering if it does anything to performance?

I change my Diffs, t-case and Tranny fluid every 2 years or less.

If I do I multiple water crossings in a day or spend some time in deep mud I Will check my fluids for water penitration.

LSD fluids contain friction modifiers that keep the clutch-type discs inside the unit from grinding eachother smoth (thus creating an open Diff) Without these additives the LSD would grip more but quite possibly wear out quickly (and then become a constant slip dif or CSD lol) The use of lsd fluid has no benifit or drawback In an open diff because the friction moidfiers apply mainly to abrasive & shear forces by coating the discs. If you want to run the same fluid in your open front as your rear LSD feel free to run the LSD fluid without cosequece.

I highly recommend AGAINST using Lucas brand rear diff fluid. I used some when I last changed mine and it would clank and bind whenever I turned a corner. I had to use LSD additive to get it right which was a PITA because I had to drain out about 6oz of fluid before I could add the other stuff. I also used some of their oil additive in an attempt to quiet noisy lifters and it made the problem way worse as well as slowed my idle speed down about 150 rpm. Next time I changed my oil I went with Castrol 20-50w high mileage oil and it is quiet as new now.

Was it Lucas LSD fluid or regular differential fluid? That is key...

Since you mention you had to put LSD additive in it, it sounds like you bought regular fluid. You'll get poor results and a ruined LSD rear end with any brand fluid. :stickwack:

• 1 month later...

Was it Lucas LSD fluid or regular differential fluid? That is key...

Since you mention you had to put LSD additive in it, it sounds like you bought regular fluid. You'll get poor results and a ruined LSD rear end with any brand fluid. :stickwack:

Actually the bottle I bought said it was safe to use in LSD diffs and when it failed, I called Lucas to ask what was up. She told me that it should have been just fine and didn't understand why I would be having a problem. I didn't see any labeled specifically for lsd - if I do I would gladly try that one.

I highly recommend AGAINST using Lucas brand rear diff fluid. I used some when I last changed mine and it would clank and bind whenever I turned a corner. I had to use LSD additive to get it right which was a PITA because I had to drain out about 6oz of fluid before I could add the other stuff. I also used some of their oil additive in an attempt to quiet noisy lifters and it made the problem way worse as well as slowed my idle speed down about 150 rpm. Next time I changed my oil I went with Castrol 20-50w high mileage oil and it is quiet as new now.

why are so many ppl crazy about lucas additives and lucas differential oils?

the additives just seem like a bandaid and the results seem differant for each user

and the oils, well theres just other stuff out there that has poven its worth many times over.