Why Is There Only One Form Of Racing?

jj big shoe

Poor Speed Channel. Try as they might, there just isn't enough races to fill a 24-7 cable channel. If there was more than one form of motorsport they could televise they'd have it made. Sure the Brickyard, Daytona, Talledega, Richmond, etc. coverage can be stretched out for a few hours on Sundays, but then what? I mean, they're doing what they can but there's just way too many programming hours to fill once the NASCAR race is over. And since they are Speed channel and racing is what they do, they fill time with fine shows like:

NASCAR Race Hub

Building the NASCAR Hall of Fame

NASCAR Hall of Fame Biography

Fast Track To Fame (Seriously?)

Trackside At...

Inside the Headsets

The Racing Chef (SERIOUSLY?)

NASCAR Smarts

NASCAR All-Star Challenge

NASCAR (insert series) Practice

NASCAR (insert series) Final Practice

NASCAR (insert series) Qualifying

NASCAR (insert series) Replay

NASCAR Performance

NASCAR Victory Lane

NASCAR in a Hurry

Sounds of NASCAR

NASCAR Classics

And they have to run them over and over again to cover the time between actual NASCAR races.

If we could come up with another form of racing, maybe Speed wouldn't have to base there entire programming schedule around NASCAR. We could race cars on tracks with hills and turns. Maybe small cars that'll run timed race segments on dirt and snow...or even get some folks together and race some sort of two-wheeled transport. Perhaps we could even start a type of motorsport in Europe. I hear they like cars, too.

Man, I feel bad for Speed Channel. If only there were something other than NASCAR that they could air...

Hey now they do ocasonally show some World Of Outlaw shows, ocasional other dirttrack racing, and get to hear ricer cry with the bald headed wannabe Vin Diesel dork on pinks... ( I want 12 lengths, you get no naws, and have to start in 3rd gear or I'm gonna cry)

I watch F1 racing...That is the only time I watch TSN. Speed does a terrible job of airing the F1 race (they have their ****** commentary over the actual commentary that follows the races around the world). And nascar is booooring.

I know. Speed Channel stinks ever since Fox bought it. You used to be able to see things like WRC, BTTC and Austrailian V8 Supercar all the time. Now if you're lucky, they might show one or two races from a series like that at 2am on Sunday. I'm soo over NASCAR. Now before I get flamed by fans, it's not so much the racing itself but the oversaturation. NASCAR is like the Hannah Montana of motorsports. It's friggin' everywhere. And Speed has those ridiculous ancillary programs that they show over and over and over again. They used to show stuff like Austrailian Jetsprint Boat (You Tube it. It's insane) and German Touring Car racing and even the Isle of Man TT. Not anymore. Maybe if we all start watching the NASCAR shows all the time they'll have enough ratings to justify starting a separate NASCAR channel and we could get some of the old Speed programming back.

I know. Speed Channel stinks ever since Fox bought it. You used to be able to see things like WRC, BTTC and Austrailian V8 Supercar all the time. Now if you're lucky, they might show one or two races from a series like that at 2am on Sunday. I'm soo over NASCAR. Now before I get flamed by fans, it's not so much the racing itself but the oversaturation. NASCAR is like the Hannah Montana of motorsports. It's friggin' everywhere. And Speed has those ridiculous ancillary programs that they show over and over and over again. They used to show stuff like Austrailian Jetsprint Boat (You Tube it. It's insane) and German Touring Car racing and even the Isle of Man TT. Not anymore. Maybe if we all start watching the NASCAR shows all the time they'll have enough ratings to justify starting a separate NASCAR channel and we could get some of the old Speed programming back.

You nailed it! I miss WRC and Isle of man TT... it is quite sad indeed. there is another racing channel, i seen it on youtube... i forget what its called. Anyway these days i watch stuff online. a couple i like: http://www.gtchannel.com/ and streetfire.net

Are you referring to Versus? They show Indy car and some Dakar Rally highlights, but their programming is kinda all over the place. Hunting, cycling, fishing, etc. It's ok, but I'd like to see something more along the lines of what Speed used to be: Auto, Moto, Boat and Air racing.

Hey,there used to have decent show on saturday morning,but it all hickcar ALL OF THE TIME...theres just so much of hill billy turning left you can watch and keep you santity...I mean have more then 4 corners in a race at least...I have watched road to baja and score races at 12-130ish am before...

Yeah, 90% of Speed's programing is NASCAR related, 5% is general auto related and 5% is "other" races here and there. I've seen Motocross and American Le Mans listed on the guide on Speed quite a few times, but not much else.

Man, I feel bad for Speed Channel. If only there were something other than NASCAR that they could air...

Yes, like an American version of Top Gear.

You left Wind Tunnel with Dave whatever his name is off your Nascar list.

5% is general auto related

All the shadetree mechanic style shows you mean? "were gonna talk about doeing so and so... take 4 commercial breaks... everytime you see labor it will be someoen elses hands... and tell you how we finished it in a month!" Whatever happened to the actual "Shadetree mechanics" show anyway? Take the hood off to fix a taillight...

All the shadetree mechanic style shows you mean? "were gonna talk about doeing so and so... take 4 commercial breaks... everytime you see labor it will be someoen elses hands... and tell you how we finished it in a month!" Whatever happened to the actual "Shadetree mechanics" show anyway? Take the hood off to fix a taillight...

Yep, those, like the Truck U butt buddies.

Yeah, those shows are basically a half-hour infomercial for the show's sponsors. You'll get a few tips and whatnot but mostly its a spotlight for the companies supplying build parts. One exception is Chop, Cut, Rebuild. Still a bit contrived, but at least they're not working with an unlimited budget and pumping out the same "Overhaulin'" type show cars all the time. But mostly it's the lack of diversity in their race coverage that makes me nuts.

Yes, like an American version of Top Gear.
Good Lord, I hope they never do that show. As much as I'd like to see it, the American producers would suck the good out of it and flash it up like Bullrun or something.

Good Lord, I hope they never do that show. As much as I'd like to see it, the American producers would suck the good out of it and flash it up like Bullrun or something.

Yeah, we would see more T&A than RPM.

IIRC, Didn't you have dial-up until about 3 years ago? :tongue:

4, but then I didn't bother with TV long before that... ;)

Just trying to look out for your mental health JJ, you are on the endangered list... :D

B

Some old vintage non-nascar racing would be good too.

I'm surprised nobody else noticed, but you're "non-nascar" cars are still making left turns. IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK JUST TOO SEE A CAR MAKE A REALLY FAST RIGHT TURN???

Speed Channel needs to google british tour racing, and off-road track racing. Or maybe just show some people going over speed-bumps. NO MORE LEFT TURNS ALLOWED!

I'm surprised nobody else noticed, but you're "non-nascar" cars are still making left turns. IS IT TOO MUCH TO ASK JUST TOO SEE A CAR MAKE A REALLY FAST RIGHT TURN???

Speed Channel needs to google british tour racing, and off-road track racing. Or maybe just show some people going over speed-bumps. NO MORE LEFT TURNS ALLOWED!

241a.jpg

Just trying to look out for your mental health JJ, you are on the endangered list...

But the doctors say I'm much better now. Plus If I eat all my applesauce and behave during "community time", I get to go to the zoo next week.

What ever happened to the good coverage of rally races. Just because 5 times more camera men died compared to driver is no reason not to cover it good. Rally races are the funnest races to watch in my opinion, and you see cars from a POS to a supper modified and the POS can still win. I would comment more on speed channel but I gave up TV a few years ago when I figured out its just a waste of time.

yep same here. I spend more time watching videos on the internet than TV. It's been that way for the last 5 or 6 years. TV is still good for sports and spoonfeeding, but most of the shows on now are 10 minutes of footage spread out over half an hour

P.S. speed channel is garbage.