31" Tire Question

ahardb0dy

First of all this is not a "will this size fit on my truck" question,

I have 31's on my 94 pathfinder right now, actually 265/75/15's. I'm going to be buying a pair of 31's for the front but I need to stay inexpensive, the cheapest tires at the local tire store I use (discount tire) are Falken Ziex S/TZ-04 at $95 each, pic below:

10wr5w3.jpg

these are like a big street tire and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable having a street tread on the truck as I do want to do some light off roading soon, the rear tires are Goodyear At's and have a decent amount of thread left.

I am also looking at the BF Goodrich all terrains, they have received many good reviews and many people comment on how they have gotten 70-80K miles out of them, but they are $159 each. I used to get 33" BFG mud terrains for $150!!

Was looking to see what other brand 31's the members here may be running and approx how much they cost and also maybe some other options in this size. THANKS!!

Prices of tires have skyrocketed recently. It's hard to find good, cheap tires. On my old Pathfinder I had some Falken Landairs from America's Tire Co. It was an alright tire all the way around but not impressive, but only $215 for 2 installed.

a pair of these Falken's out the door cost $242.29, they used to have a brand named Pathfinder that looked pretty good think it was like a house brand for Discount Tire (also known as America's Tire) but don't see them on the site anymore.

I've ran BFG a/ts with no issues, of course I didn't buy them new... Also have Firestone Destination a/ts on the 4runner and honestly (I don't know what they go for) they look a little more usefull than the BFGs to me at least. Not alot of miles on them though to give a good diagnosis though, they do ride decent and not too loud though.

your Firestone tires may be ok for you but after having them stock on my 87 Hardbody and seeing how they were than having another set of Firestone's on my sentra and having to replace all 4 of them for being out of round plus one blowing out for no reason one day, I don't even consider Firestone.

Cheapest listed on tirerack is the Road Venture AT KL78, for $99. They have a few others in the $100-$120 range. Only tires I have bought new (for the Pathys) are MTs, bought a used set of BFG ATs, and still riding on them, but will probably get another set when they do die.

I looked on tire rack's site but than have to pay shipping and than to have them mounted and balanced

A lot of times they are connected to local shops, so no shipping involved. But, still gotta mount and balance.

Discount tire had the best prices in this area. I'm a BFG fan, at least for trucks; either the AT or MT should do the job well, both are good.

I used to get 33" BFG mud terrains for $150!!

Sorry, but you have to stop living in the past. $169 for BFG MT KM2 in 31" is what I paid. If I plan to keep a vehicle, I'll usually try to pony up for the better tires.

B

the price for the mud terrains may have not been a normal retail price as I knew the guy that owned the tire shop pretty well, of course that in itself makes it unfair to compare "my price" with what other retailers may have been selling them for back in the day

I would check craigslist, or join a local wheeling club to try and pick up a used set of tires.

I loved my Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo's, but they weren't cheap!

Look for a used set of tires. That is the only real way you are going to get a good tire for a deal.

For example, I paid $200 a piece for my 31" BF Goodrich All Terrains. Came out to $900 once I paid taxes and got them mounted. I know someone who got 4 of them used in good shape, with 75% tread left for only $200!

What I have heard from someone just a few days ago is that they seem to wear quicker, although not catastrophically, but they are uni-directional which do not allow proper cross or 5 wheel rotation. Others seem to like them.

Check the Unofficial Tire Review Thread in the Product Review section for better info... ;)

B