Rock Sliders

beastpath

SO my wonderful girlfriend bought me some 67" trailgear rocksliders with the gusset kit for my birthday. She will give them to me in about 2 weeks and I'm very excited to get them on.

However, in the future I'd like to put a 2" body lift on the truck. How hard is it to remove and re-mount the sliders if I put a body lift on? will cutting them off and remounting them compromise the strength of the legs?

or should I really do the lift first and then put the sliders on?

Yeah I was thinking thats the sensible thing to do. Its just irritating because the only real reason I want the bodylift is to be able to fit the Hardbody ARB bumper on the truck (as the Pathfinder ARB is no longer around). But I can't afford the hardbody bumper right now so I guess the whole thing will have to wait.

Or do people think it would be a better idea to not get a bodylift, find a place that has some remainder pathfinder ARB's or a used one, and then SAS later to get more lift?

I'm not even sure I want to SAS is the thing.

You can do the lift now, mount the sliders and use the stock bumper (it gets relocated) until you buy the HB ARB. If you plan on wheeling, the body lift is handy. If you wrench, the body lift is handy. ;)

B

You can do the lift now, mount the sliders and use the stock bumper (it gets relocated) until you buy the HB ARB. If you plan on wheeling, the body lift is handy. If you wrench, the body lift is handy. ;)

B

Yeah, but I have a stock winch bumper too. I dont think I can relocate that.

Not without chopping and welding and then resale on the old one will be wasted. Ok, you are screwed, you get nothing!! P...

Start saving for the bumper and do it all at once...

B

The set on my 93 were installed pre-lift, so now there is a 2" space below the pinch weld, but I like them that way so I left them. They are practically level with the bottom of my frame, so it isn't like they sit to low. Not to mention they dual function as a step rail, and that gap gives some toe space.

Edit, here is a pic:

backyardflexw.jpg

Edited by GrimGreg

Yeah, you are right B. I may as well do it right the first time and be able to sell that bumper afterwards.

Although the winch mount could be easily modified, heck, you could do it with some grade 8 bolts, a drill, and an angle grinder...

Really, you won't really gain any clearance from having the rock sliders higher w/a body lift, cause the frame is still @ the same height. I would get em close to the rockers right now, as protection, but make them so when the body is 3" higher, it can be a nice step...

thanks guys,

i was thinking maybe a 2" gap wouldnt really be too bad and as you say would give me a step. would they still protect the rockers just as much then?

also - for the ARB bumper, are we all quite sure that the Hardbody's have that 2" BL from the factory? I see a lot of HBs that sit very very low.

I know everyone sais the HB. Has 2" factory bl but I swear all my 4x4 ones were more like a 1" :shrug: guess j shoulda measured one... Who knew. Either way I gotta agree with if your antsy, you'll have some steps as well a sliders after the bl :aok:

also - for the ARB bumper, are we all quite sure that the Hardbody's have that 2" BL from the factory? I see a lot of HBs that sit very very low.

That is what I have heard, but I am just parroting. Call ARB and ask how much taller the bumper is than a Pathy's... :shrug:

B

I know everyone sais the HB. Has 2" factory bl but I swear all my 4x4 ones were more like a 1" :shrug: guess j shoulda measured one... Who knew. Either way I gotta agree with if your antsy, you'll have some steps as well a sliders after the bl :aok:

lol, yeah, i might just have them welded on and go with it. it wont give me any more clearance to have them higher anyways, and its handy having a step sometimes - like cleaning the truck or doing stuff to the roof.

if the 4x4 HBs have a 1" or 2" BL that would mean the bumper mounting bracket would be taller in order to make it mount up with the rest of the body right? couldnt we just replace the pathfinder ones with these to mount the bumper up to? according to all the scematics they have the same mount points, but it would lift up the bumper to the right place or at least closer to it.

Yes they protect the rockers sitting lower, and less chance of bending them into the rockers (mine are homemade 2" square .120 wall, and I bent my passenger one on a hard hit, no where near the rocker).

As for the Hardbodys, they don't have a lift, but the body and front bumper mounts sit about 1.5" higher on the frame, why a 2" BL and Hardbody ARB work well.

Yes they protect the rockers sitting lower, and less chance of bending them into the rockers (mine are homemade 2" square .120 wall, and I bent my passenger one on a hard hit, no where near the rocker).

As for the Hardbodys, they don't have a lift, but the body and front bumper mounts sit about 1.5" higher on the frame, why a 2" BL and Hardbody ARB work well.

Thanks GG! since the frames are the same, i dont see why relocating the bumper mount 1.5" up wouldnt be a solution for people doing a 2" BL. that would only leave a .5" gap, or .5" of metal could be added to the mount to make it the full 2".

I'm going to get some HB bumper brackets off of RockAuto (about $4 a piece) and see if they are any different to the ones on my pathfinder now.

If you need to know it to spend $1k on a friggin bumper, they had damn well pony up the info!! P...

*ehem*

B

LOL. yeah, I was just thinking I might get the old "the bumper is not designed for a pathfinder so it wont work" runaround

Exactly... sorta, different design actually. But the end result is the same.

While I was at the wrecking yard pulling the TC Shifter from an '89 HB (Sadly it had auto hubs) I snapped a couple pics of the body mounts welded to the frames of a HB and a Pathy

HB/D21 Mid-Frame

d21midframebm.th.jpg

PF/WD21 Mid-Frame

wd21midframebm.th.jpg

HB/D21 Firewall

d21firewallbm.th.jpg

PF/WD21 Firewall

wd21firewallbm.th.jpg

Anyone know if 3 inch BL on an automatic D21 will have any issues?

Nothing particular to an auto. I helped a friend with his a couple years back, easier on a truck since the bed and body are seperate.