Wont start

PATHRIDER

Hey guys a few question before I mess something up on my truck

My pathy got stolen a few weeks back and finally got her back and sitting in my carport now. I tried starting her yesterday and it just cranks but wont start.

Im going to try to put some gas on her today and try it again , I hope that it just ran out of gas. The guys at the tow yard where she was stored told me that they were able to start it but it was running rough and said it sounded like a bad valve

What would cause it to crank and not start besides its maybe out of gas?

I pulled the dip stick out and the oil level was past the full line...Whoever stole it put some oil in it and theres 3 quart of empty oil bottle in my trunk..I have no idea why but when my truck was up in the flatbed yesterday I took a quick peek underneath and theres oil leak just above my crosspipe

I also smelled the oil in the dipstick and smells like a mixture of gas and oil

Now after putting some gas on her later on and still wont start what should I be looking for guys? (please dont say a new motor..lol)

Thanks fellas

if it's cranking but not firing, and you are sure they added oil, check to make sure they didn't screw with the ignition (cap, rotor, crossed wires, etc) when they dumped it.

also, it wouldn't hurt to check for blown fuses.

compression/leak down test wouldn't hurt, either, if you smell gas, and he "said" bad valve (of course could have been a busted exhaust component, they did treat her rough)

if it's cranking but not firing, and you are sure they added oil, check to make sure they didn't screw with the ignition (cap, rotor, crossed wires, etc) when they dumped it.

also, it wouldn't hurt to check for blown fuses.

compression/leak down test wouldn't hurt, either, if you smell gas, and he "said" bad valve (of course could have been a busted exhaust component, they did treat her rough)

Thanks bud..Ill do some thorough checking on those soon as I get the battery charged..ill keep you guys posted

Yes, check what Ben said, and, I hate to say it, make sure the rotor spins when you are cranking the motor...

Remember the basics. Air, fuel and spark. Chase all of that down and go from there. It can't hurt to see what the ECU says either, it doesn't need to start for that...

Good luck Bud. :beer:

B

Yes, check what Ben said, and, I hate to say it, make sure the rotor spins when you are cranking the motor...

Remember the basics. Air, fuel and spark. Chase all of that down and go from there. It can't hurt to see what the ECU says either, it doesn't need to start for that...

Good luck Bud. :beer:

B

Thanks bud. I will be checking on those mentioned , soon as the battery gets a full charge I will check the ecu for error codes first.As far as the leak just above the crosspipe is that something serious?

take off a gas hose by the engine before and after the filter and see if its pumping fuel or something. my friends pathy would crank and crank then we found out it wasnt getting fuel(by checking fuel pressure which there wasnt any)and we couldnt hear the fuel pump turning on and it was a blown fuse.

Edited by edicer2

I don't have anything to add about getting her to start, but you noted oil smelled like a mixture of gas & oil and it was overfull. I'd say before you get it to start I would change the oil out. If someone tried to crank it for a long time, but it didn't start the gas can get pushed past the rings into the oil. Also, if the sump is really overfull the crank can whip the oil into a foam. Both the 'gas in oil' and 'foam' can cause engine damage if it is run very long. :my2cents:

Good luck!

if it looks like it is leaking from the bell housing on the transmission where meets engine probably the rear main seal is leaking..... To fix rear main seal you have to take the transmission off the seal isn't hard it self its the removal of the transmission... but it could still becoming from oil filter or the sensor above the starter...

I don't have anything to add about getting her to start, but you noted oil smelled like a mixture of gas & oil and it was overfull. I'd say before you get it to start I would change the oil out. If someone tried to crank it for a long time, but it didn't start the gas can get pushed past the rings into the oil. Also, if the sump is really overfull the crank can whip the oil into a foam. Both the 'gas in oil' and 'foam' can cause engine damage if it is run very long. :my2cents:

Good luck!

Thanks bud..Im draining the oil right now as we speak

If they were extremley careless and put a lot of oil in they could have spilled it all over too. Maybe clean it all up and once you get it started you will know where its leaking.

But I was told if the oil was over filled that it could cause leaks too.

if it looks like it is leaking from the bell housing on the transmission where meets engine probably the rear main seal is leaking..... To fix rear main seal you have to take the transmission off the seal isn't hard it self its the removal of the transmission... but it could still becoming from oil filter or the sensor above the starter...

I havent check the oil sensor but I know for sure its not from my filter because I have a relo kit and can easily see the cap and 2 hoses attached to it and theres no sign of leakage and its sorrounded by thin dried up mud.

I was afraid that somebody would say its the rear main seal. :( Im also hoping that when they poured the oil it just has some spills and made its way behind the motor..the valve cover is just covered with oil .The oil that I saw yesterday isnt even brownish, its the color of new oil but im not eliminating the possibilty of rear main seal;

Thanks bud

If they were extremley careless and put a lot of oil in they could have spilled it all over too. Maybe clean it all up and once you get it started you will know where its leaking.

But I was told if the oil was over filled that it could cause leaks too.

Im hoping thats the case bro...ill find out later on this afternoon

take off a gas hose by the engine before and after the filter and see if its pumping fuel or something. my friends pathy would crank and crank then we found out it wasnt getting fuel(by checking fuel pressure which there wasnt any)and we couldnt hear the fuel pump turning on and it was a blown fuse.

Ill do that..Thanks bud

Yeah, what the hell?

"I know whenever I boost a truck the first thing I do is top off all fluids and check the tire pressure."

I saw from the insurance thread that it looks like they took it off-road and beat on it (got to be kids, right?). Is it possible they put a dent/hole in the oil pan or knocked the hell out of something else underneath?

Anyway, glad to hear you got it back, and negotiated an ok deal with the insurance co. Best of luck getting back to form.

when a pathy runs fine, then doesn't start one day.

check coil wire.

check that the ROTOR actually turn while cranking it.

THEN go to other things.

all pathy's now are high milage. most people never change thier timing belts (yes we do cause we know about it).. all it takes is a hard down shift and pop.

Down shifting is the main reason i've seen timing belts pop.

not just on nissans but other makes as well that run timing belts.

Yeah, what the hell?

"I know whenever I boost a truck the first thing I do is top off all fluids and check the tire pressure."

They checked the oil hell maybe they put a new oil filter in and spilled some oil, just kidding. Sorry to hear that your truck was stolen. Hopefully you locate the problem, good luck man.

Ever think there real asshats and dumped the oil in the tank to fark with you even more?Oil that smells like gas sounds like a valve or burnt rings,my 95 oil smells like gas but thats because the oils getting past the rings...

I still can't get past the fact that they filled it with oil. haha. Hopefully they picked premium/high mileage grade?? what did the empty bottles say???

Definitely sorry to hear about it getting stolen though.. that makes me wanna get an alarm system even more badly now. Theres nothing i hate more than thieves...

when a pathy runs fine, then doesn't start one day.

check coil wire.

check that the ROTOR actually turn while cranking it.

THEN go to other things.

all pathy's now are high milage. most people never change thier timing belts (yes we do cause we know about it).. all it takes is a hard down shift and pop.

Down shifting is the main reason i've seen timing belts pop.

not just on nissans but other makes as well that run timing belts.

The rotor turned..I have not tried to start it all the way...still in the process of checking for fuses..im going to gas her up tomorrow and see if shell fire up..if not then ill check for some more possibilities as mentioned by other members

did your truck burn oil? why would the thieves even think of putting oil in lol? Find the leak? Has she started?

No it didnt..The only thing I could think of is it overheated on the punk who took it..I have a slow coolant leak and had to ftop off my rad every other week with about a quart of coolant.Im going to start her tomorrow