"Trail Rated"

88pathoffroad

That "Trail Rated My A$$" is the funniest thing have seen in quite a while. Our nissan dealer owner here, owns the jeep/chrysler dealer next door. I know some of the guys in the shop and chat with them once and a while. I have been absolutly amazed at how many front and rear diffs they repair or replace on a weekly basis. Now keep in mind Jeep uses Dana axles for the most part. But how often do you hear about a wrangler having rear end problems, say in for favorite 4x4 magazine? Ok, now guess who started using Dana axles in thier new pickups? You guessed right kiddies, Nissan. How many Titan owners do you know that had to have the rear end replaced? Ive done a ton, thanks Dana. The press has taken that and spun it so badly, Nissan has had to cut back production of thier trucks. Why hasnt jeep taken such a big hit? The Big three dont want no Japanese company being better than them at what they supposedly do best. Dana is part of that. Trail Rated, its just propaganda to keep old companies and old ideas afloat. If that wasnt true, why is the wrangler the only front solid axle suv still on the market? Too many market analysts belive there is no market for another vehicle in that demograph. That is why Nissan, Toyota and even Honda have had to come out with vehicles that are new, fresh, appealing and very cable of doing what any driver asks of them. I am sure that in our Jeep hating community, there are enough people who would buy a 2008 Nissan Patrol W/locking front and rear solid axles(built by nissan of course), if it exsisted in the U.S.. Ok My 2 Cents have been thrown in and I could continue to ramble on and on about this. I will say this however, tell everyone you can about how good your Pathfinder is. When the demand is great enough, the Manufacturers and Aftermarket companies will respond. Then finally I will be able to get a bolt on rear bumper for my Pathy! :beer:

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About a week ago while me and the wife were at blockbuster I saw a Heep liberty and it was a joke. It had the lights on the roof and was "trail rated" but the clearence on it was about has good as my wife's honda. And now Jeep has mad some kinda new mall-krawler.. I can not remember what it is called but it looks like a spin-off of the liberty and it looks pathetic.

Jeep Wranglers use Dana 35 rears and Dana 30 fronts, they're very weak axles, actually they are strong, from the factory. Once these Jeepers put 33s on and lift a tire they start breaking axles, they think they own the world because all the off road magazines and companys bend over for them. Nissan Wheelers are different, we know what its like to not have hundreds of companys make stuff for our rigs and that kinda brings us closer since we all are pretty much on own figureing stuff out and making it work. The Titan uses a Dana 44/Nissan hybrid axle, the problem with them is not that its a Dana, but Nissan didnt put enough fluid in the axles from the factory, resulting in burned up gears. You can tell if a Titan has the 'new' axle by the cover, the new one has fins to keep it cool where as the old one doesnt. Dana makes great axles, some stronger than the others.

Edited by FLApathy

I agree with FLApathy, as Nissan 4wheelers we have to be a smaller tight-knit group because of the lack of aftermarket support - and also the fact that we don't do the whole "Jeep Thing". I don't worry about other peoples rigs but my own. We're the underdogs and yeah its frustrating but definitely rewarding when you can do the same trail as the countless Jeeps and Toyotas out there and they have that look like :o "but I have all this stuff on my truck and yours look stock...WTF!" I definitely love that story of the Samurai and the Rubicon. "$35,000 well spent....NOT!" Anyway thats my 2-cents.

Yup that's it and yes it is pretty ghey lookin.

But it is a Jeep, so must have good 4wd right?

From Jeep.ca:

Stand your ground. The available state-of-the-art electronic four-wheel drive system anticipates the need for added traction and responds to driver accelerator pedal pressure and/or wheel slippage by transferring power to the rear wheels. This system also contributes to vehicle stability in cornering situations by modulating power to the rear wheels. For optimal fuel economy, the system operates only on demand when on-road, thereby minimizing power robbing friction and inertia.

When the going gets tough, such as in mud, sand or snow you can activate "4WD LOCK" mode with a switch in the centre console. When activated, "4WD" message illuminates in the instrument cluster.

The 4WD mode dictates that the electronic coupling sends the maximum amount of torque to the rear axle for improved traction, at speeds up to 15 km/h.

And I like this on trail rated (from the same web site):

We Have a Firm Hold on the 4x4 Landscape.

All Jeep® 4x4s benefit from a choice of legendary 4WD systems that deliver capability and well-balanced traction for that long climb to the top.

Articulation

We Didn't Reinvent the Wheel, Just the Way It Works.

Articulation is the measure of how far suspension travels up and down to maximize available traction.

In other words, when one or more wheels are elevated, the Jeep 4x4 system keeps the other wheels on the ground longer to keep you moving.

Ground Clearance

You Don't Become a Legend by Taking the Easy Road.

The Jeep 4x4 exceptional approach and departure angles, as well as impressive ground clearance, can turn seemingly insurmountable obstacles into speed bumps.

Manoeuvrability

Play Follow the Leader. Anywhere.

Jeep vehicles can manoeuvre over and around the dirtiest, most challenging trails thanks to a precise rack and pinion steering system that maintains off-road ruggedness while retaining the legendary Jeep 4x4 fun-to-drive qualities.

Water Fording

Any Trail Can Hold a Number of Surprises.

All Jeep 4x4s have been engineered with a higher air box to help prevent water from entering the engine.

That, plus exceptional ground clearance, allows for excellent water fording capabilities.

They keep saying all Jeep 4x4s. So what is the Compass? Trail Rated or not a Jeep?

Its Jeeps first car, according to 4wheeler magazine, of course they had to 'reveiw' it. Speaking of off road magazines, theres an article about the Editors and how unbiased they are, once you read it youll understand; its in pertersens, so is that why they put a Toyota advertisement in the middle of one of the first Nissan articles? (They talk about how they dont do that and the recent onslaught of cardboard Toyota advertisements)

that would be the jeep compass :oops:

2007_Jeep_Compass_exfrdrvr34.jpg

i just saw one of thos the other day.. it's fugly as heck. :oops: :oops:

the libertys pretty much suck off road too. i wheeler circles around them all. they had trouble with 6" ledge.. big time.. hehehe

But it is a Jeep, so must have good 4wd right?

that's all hype and hot air. i've wheeled with and around enough of them to know that's all basically a lie. my stock pathy runs circles around all of their stock vehicles and even some midified ones. i understand the jeep thing, thus i drive a pathfinder. :D

Yup, ive got a friend with a ZJ, lifted 6 inchs and rubs 33s, so now it has 32" SS's, he thinks hes hot because my truck cant do everything his can, until I found a trail that so far, my truck is the only one thats been able to make it, and im the only one with the balls to do it, in 2wd cuzz I had a broken CV. There was a hill climb that i used to be able to do, I just needed some speed, until I dug it out, but now he can make it and I guess he gets a rush knowing his modded V8 and solid axles can beat a STOCK wd21.

Oh, and.. I can't openly hate Jeeps... my brother just bought a 2002 TJ Sport and he lives in the same house as me. I was just about to make up a witty sticker, too.

The simple fact that he is your borther is enough to give you grounds to "openly hate jeeps" -thnkboutit- giving each other crap is almost a rule among siblings :D

My first real wheelng trip was with a jeep club and an xterra club.

I was climbing slopes and slopping through mud with entirely less trouble than the jeeps.

One guy towards the beginning suggested I go into 4L and 1st or 2nd gear (autotragic) and I told him nah, let me see what she does in 4 hi. Went right up a huge gravel covered incline that he just had major trouble with.

The jeep guys at the end of the day were very impressed with the capabilities of my pathy and had nothing but good things to say.