"Trail Rated"

88pathoffroad

My stepfather rolled his '98 Cherokee on the highway one night. He fell asleep at the wheel. When he hit the rumble strips on the side of the highway, he woke up, jerked the wheel to get back on the road and flipped it six or seven times. Both the dogs flew out open windows as it rolled. He and the dogs were unhurt, just a little sore.

Anyway, the Jeep looked nothing like Runnerman's Liberty. Aside from the glass and air bags, if you sat in it you could barely tell anything was wrong. All the corners were dented in of course, but all four doors and the rear hatch still opened and shut like new. He might have been able to drive it away if he wasn't so shaken up.

I had an '87 Wrangler and believe me, it sucked! I had nothing but major problems with it and I wouldn't buy another Jeep again. But as far as I'm concerned, that model Jeep Cherokee proved its structual quality to me big time.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my buddy that i go 4wheeling with has a suzuki samuari. all this guy has is a 4inch lift and 32's, no gears, no lockers, nothing, stock except for those two. we were out and we found a rubicon stuck in mud. we said, hey it could happen to anyone, it sure did to me 9 freaken hours anyway, we got him out and he decided to tag along w/ me and the zuki, came to this one spot that i couldn't continue because i was for one, 2wd and two too big. long story short, the zuki punked the rubicon left and right, the guy said i just spent $35,000 for nothing. i have pictures and videos to prove it. i'm sure mine would of punked him too if i was 4wheel.

I agree with the masses here...Jeeps are highly over rated. I've seen more JGC's and Wranglers flipped over on the side of the road than any other vehicle ever!

I can't imagine taking one of those narrow wheel-based, top heavy $35K pieces of crap on the side of a mountain around here....unless I was going to send the tape in to JACKASS.

There were pics posted on here not too long ago of some toughguy that took his jeep wrangler into a river and lost it...flipping side over side down the rapids. That pretty much sums up the term TRAIL RATED CAPABILITY!

WOW. There are some folks here that need to sort out some issues. :blink:

It's hugely unfashionable around here, apparently, but I dig Jeeps. :hide:

The different models, Grands, Libertys and Wranglers, are targeted at different buyers.

Just like Nissan targets, Armadas, Pathfinders and XTerras at different buyers.

(Strange but Jeep calls the Liberty the Cherokee in Australia - Changed the model but kept the same old name).

Either way, we're kinda spoilt here 'cause ours are built (right-hand-drive) in a Mercedes plant in Austria (that's Austria in Europe, not me misspelling Australia) and then shipped here to Australia new. The build quality is pretty good. What you'd expect from a Mercedes production line.

They're really expensive to service and repair out here, though. All parts being imported.

Anyhow, I dig Jeeps. :hide: They're very capable in the right hands. It's just that for my money, the Pathfinder was a better option.

I looked at Jeeps closely and found:

Grand Cherokee too expensive and too complex (for my tastes)

XJ Cherokee (built in the USA) have a very inconsistent build quality (sorry)- You'll either get a trooper or a lemon and you'll never know which 'till after you bought it. Also, they're a major electrical problem looking for a place to happen.

KJ Cherokee (Liberty to most of you) a great vehicle - I loved driving it, BUT a cargo space too small to justify it's existence.

Wrangler too small. I love Wranglers. I really do but I need something just a bit bigger than that.

So I ended up looking at Nissan Pathfinders and Mitsubishi Challengers (Montero Sports to you North Americans).

Pathfinder won.

It's build quality is easily equal to the Austrian-built Jeeps. It's cheaper to buy, run and service. It's easier to get parts. And for me: It combines the simplicity of a Wrangler with the room of a Grand Cherokee.

I think Jeeps are great. But the best one I could find is built by Nissan. :aok:

But unfortunately, here in the states we get the shoddy quality trucks, and then a good number of them end up being driven by morons who buy into that "trail rated" crap and think that they are invincible. So many times I've seen a Jeep flying down the snow covered road on the way up skiing, flashing their lights and passing like an idiot. Then a few miles up the road they've slid off into the guard rail or even wound up on their roof in the ditch. Sure, that's the driver's fault above all else, but that was kinda the point of this "trail rated" thread. A Mercedes-built Jeep... mmmmmmm.... ;)

The build quality is pretty good. What you'd expect from a Mercedes production line.

hate to burst your bubble here but since Mercedes became christlerised the quality has gone to the toilet (WC) A lot of loyal stuttgarders are going to Nippon for their luxry now...

:furious: Since we are bashing JEEPS, how about this one? I saw this saying on the net somewhere...."Yeah, I got your JEEP Thing, and it hurts to pee." I think I'm going to get some window stickers with this saying. Maybe this one too..."No, I don't have your JEEP Thing, I have something Better." :shrug:

What do ya think? :aok:

Let's figure out more and get them made! :beer:

there is only one vehicle I've seen on its roof more than a jeep and I don't think it was the rigs fault , but the tires remember the BIG Ford explorer problem a few years ago . at least they had an good reason for being fliped over unlike the trendy rich kid toy jeep thingy. :D I'll stick to what works my 500$ pathy that can out perform just about any package deal trail rated peice of crap.

• 2 years later...