Violent Misfire

adamzan

For the last few months I've noticed that my truck will start to jerk almost as if the engine is stopping and starting again, but only when in over drive with the torque converter locked, and under 2k rpm. If your light on the gas it will be ok but as soon as you want to accelerate it will do this unless you make it kick out of the torque coverter lock. On the highway whent it's revving at 2400 to 3000 depending on how fast I go it is perfectly fine. The trans doesn't slip or anything so I'm really confused on what this could be. Gas mileage seems alright as well. But it has felt "down on power" lately. And you guys know what I mean since we only have 153 hp...

Drove it to toronto and back last weekend and it didn't do it at all on the highway, only when below 2k rpm it seems.

Only starting to do something about it now as I haven't really been driving it that much since the middle of summer.

Edited by adamzan

LOL Well, you have procrastinated until you have reason to excuse working on it; the cold...

Ok, do 3 things...

Read the entire AT section in the FSM so you understand it.

Perform the AT diagnostics as outlined.

Fix it.

If for some reason that isn't it, look at the entire ignition system, but cap and rotor first.

Make sure your fuel filter isn't clogged.

Try some injector cleaner.

Do a compression test.

Get back to me on this... :D

B

Could just be that the fluid is bad in the tranny and needs to be changed...could also be fuel filter,plugs building up with oil since your rings are starting to go and the oil burning off as you increase RPMs.Could be ice in the fuel lines(dump a bttle of heat in it to fix)

A former buddy of mines shadow did this (it also would be silent when on the gas but as soon as you got off it would be loud as hell) and he just lived with it.Dizzy cap and rotor(my 95 was poping and sizzling down the road until I replaced them and there was a big power increase after replacing them)Hope this helps in any way...

oh wow not only is the title funny.

so what were telling you is its a little of everything os just switch out everything in the motor, tranmission, fuel delivery, and drivetrain and that should solve your problems...

jk no worries. id start with the cheapest stuff first, or try a tune up for the engine and what not

Could just be that the fluid is bad in the tranny and needs to be changed...could also be fuel filter,plugs building up with oil since your rings are starting to go and the oil burning off as you increase RPMs.Could be ice in the fuel lines(dump a bttle of heat in it to fix)

A former buddy of mines shadow did this (it also would be silent when on the gas but as soon as you got off it would be loud as hell) and he just lived with it.Dizzy cap and rotor(my 95 was poping and sizzling down the road until I replaced them and there was a big power increase after replacing them)Hope this helps in any way...

Well the tranny fluid and filter were done last weekend by a nissan tech and he said it looked normal in the pan, though the fluid was a little dark. This has been happening for a while before that anyway. My engine doesn't burn any oil and my plugs were a brownish color, apparently what it's supposed to be.

Check your u-joints on the rear driveshaft.

Will do that. Will take it to my buddys shop so I don't have to lay in the snow.

oh wow not only is the title funny.

so what were telling you is its a little of everything os just switch out everything in the motor, tranmission, fuel delivery, and drivetrain and that should solve your problems...

jk no worries. id start with the cheapest stuff first, or try a tune up for the engine and what not

I'm gonna start with a dizzy cap and rotor, thing is that one of the heads of the screws is stripped so I can't get it off...

You shouldn't jerk while driving!

I know, bad habit :wackinit:

I once had a car (old Pontiac) with a bad torque converter lock control, and it would lock and unlock whenever it wanted. Produced a kind of jerking sensation, but it wasn't what I would call violent. My fix was to disable the torque converter lock. I'm sure you want to actually fix the problem, but maybe by messing around the torque converter lock control you can better isolate the issue. (Assuming the AT diagnostic doesn't work)

Edited by andreus009

I'm gonna start with a dizzy cap and rotor, thing is that one of the heads of the screws is stripped so I can't get it off...

I know, bad habit :wackinit:

So break the one thats on there now off,drill the offender out and then your good(if that side is a little loose go around it (or around the bottom of the cap) with some silicon...

Dark brown colored fluid...I will say that you have oil in your tranny(engine oil)I believe that was the problem with mine,since I had a leaky main seal and I believe oil was getting in around the dip stick tube...

I had one like that on my 88, ended up snapping the screw and having to redrill and tap it.

So break the one thats on there now off,drill the offender out and then your good(if that side is a little loose go around it (or around the bottom of the cap) with some silicon...

Dark brown colored fluid...I will say that you have oil in your tranny(engine oil)I believe that was the problem with mine,since I had a leaky main seal and I believe oil was getting in around the dip stick tube...

I never said it was dark brown...

That jerking is the same thing that happens when you let out the clutch on a manual to soon or without enough gas but the engine does't die. It's a hilarious sight but hard on the drive train.

I wonder if it's your torque converter going out and not fully locking or "catching" somehow at low RPMs.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok well whatever was causing this has failed completely...It is not the tranny. On thursday night I was driving home from brandons house and about 1km from my place it started missing real bad and had no guts. I bought a new cap and rotor and spark plugs and replaced them. It drove a lot better but as soon as it warmed up enough it started again. It is not as bad with the new plugs though.

I thought the timing belt had slipped but then again wouldn't it run bad all the time if that was the case? I find if I am VERY easy on the throttle it won't do it. And somewhere over 3k it will go away sometimes. If you put any load on the motor it will do this. I checked the codes and got 55 no malfunction...

I checked the coolant sensor and the maf and they are both within the specs in the FSM when the truck is warmed. My plugs were white which apparently means running lean.

I know I shouldn't have done this but if you floor it, it will pickup really nice after 3k and go all the way to 6k, and it doesn't seem to hesitate while doing it.

Did you ever change the O2 sensor? My Van was acting like it was losing power just slightly and repeatedly (no movement on the tach, but you could feel it lag slightly), I had been getting the CEL for the O2 and replacing it fixed the lag.

I haven't done it yet, it is about 4 months old though. The reason I haven't done it yet is because I got the code for o2 sensor before and when I replaced it, the code came back a little while later. I thought the computer was just nuts or I didn't clear the code properly. Then it came back again...So either there is a problem with the new o2 or something is wrong and triggering the o2 code.

Or there is an issue with the connection/wires to the O2. There is a pinned topic about how to check the O2 with a volt meter. I'm not sure what else it could be without simply guessing. TPS?? :shrug:

Like I said earlier, start unplugging sensors 1x1 to see what one doesn't make any difference...

B

Ya check your O2 sensor, maybe you got a dud. Clear the computer after checking the wires (disconnect battery 15mins), and try again. It might be your MAF, or TPS too. The truck will rely on the MAFS primarily. If there is a problem with the MAFS, the computer uses data from the TPS to determine A/F mixture.