Thought Of The Day

5523Pathfinder

Biggest problem we have here is people not knowing how to use round-a-bouts or merging traffic, quite often get people sitting at 3 entries onto a round a bout who arent sure what the right way to tackle it is, its easy people, GIVE WAY TO YOUR RIGHT, then go if you can. Also when entering a freeway, you quite often get people slowing down to wait for a gap to get in, they dont realise that as long as you are doing the same speed as the traffic you are merging with, you will get in without any problem what so ever.

Vancouver has been getting into the Round about thing lately instead of 4-way stops. Not sure why, but I think they need to be on a new driving test now. Peeps are hella scary on them, you can't tell where they are going to go half the time. If they are on the inside lane, they may suddenly bail, in turn cutting you off... Though I do love riding people that are in the merge lane on freeways, since they are the ones merging not me.... They never seem to get it. Ohwell :tongue:

Edited by SilverPath

This is exactly why I try and take backroads everywhere, less people!

Another batch of idiots are the ones that tailgate you in the middle of nowhere yet there is miles of empty road around you for them to pass. I put some lady in a minivan in the ditch once before because she was tailing me and I hit the brakes.

If you like round a bouts, try a six lane one. Yes, six concentric circular lanes of traffic with about 6 to 8 spurs leading off it. I had to navigate one of these in Portugal when getting out of or back into the airport....hella scary. Oh did I mention that actual was a stop light on the circle as well.

Here is phenomena that happens every time it rains here in sunny Florida. Sirens...within about 30 minutes after the rain starts. Doesn't matter if it has rained every day for the past week or if it is the first rain in 3 weeks. Every time it rains there is an accident and no matter where you are you will here the sirens. You'd think people would learn. Rain = slow down & give more space.

IF you want real thrills, go to downtown Austin, TX to the I-35 lower level. It is dug into the ground with 50 foot+ tall cement walls on each side and no shoulder. When you merge you come down the ramp from ground level onto the traffic on the interstate going 60mph. You have 300 feet to merge successfully into traffic, or merge unseccessfully with the wall or another moving vehicle. Those are the only options.