Thought Of The Day

5523Pathfinder

So, Ive been thinking a lot lately. Know me better and you would say thats a rare occurance. Many things pass through my mind every day, as Im sure does yours. People talking on the cell phone while driving, lady letting her kids run wild in line at the grocery store, the guy on the side of the road beggin for money(but I can see your cell phone on the ground in the clear plasitc bag!!). Anyways, tonights drive home finally, well almost, made me snap.

Here I am living in the great state of Washington. Known for many things including apples, the Space Needle, Mt. St. Helens, you know, all the fun stuff. But the thing that we are best known for, is rain. Yes, that fantastic stuff that falls from the heavens that gives life, gives you a good reason to drink that $5 cup of coffee, liquid sunshine for some. What seems like a small nuisance, that most of us look past and carry on with our lives. Well, apparently, for some, its not that easy.

If you've noticed, the month of November has arrived. Here in Washington, that means the begining of storm season. We get regularly pounded by inches of rain, wind that rips though the mountians, and flooding that ruins many peoples property and homes. Somewhere, Ive noticed, in all of this commotion, commen sense for drivers, has been lost. I run up and down Interstate 5 almost 100 miles a day. I am so fortunate to see it all, when it comes to people and thier driving habits. Right now is the prime time to see some of the best. I imaging it has to be similar to laying your eyes and hands on one of the eight wonders of the world. Seriously people, you cannot believe how much I am amazed every day.

Today, the weather is just that, rainy, windy, all around crappy. Tonight I drove home work early(it was slow, I was bored). Thought to myself about how it will be nice to be home with the family and blah, blah, blah. This was not to be a ordinary drive. With the rain falling from the sky, it is only possible that I was surrounded by people on the freeway, who have recently moved here. Im guessing they came from somewhere where rain does not fall. Im pretty sure I watched some lady stare out her window gazing with amazement at what was falling from the sky. Upon doing this, she cuts off the trucker right next to her. Luckily, this guy knew what he was doing and was able to brake accordingly, and prevented a accident. This was only the first of many displays of complete unawareness I observed in little over one hour.

Now, now to be outdone by the lady gazing in stupidy, there were the several people doing 45mph in the fast lane. There are 3 lanes to choose from, why in Gods' name would you pick the fast lane to go so slow? Do you have no idea you are going to cause a accident? Yes, its raining. We have done this 987965589798 times. You live in Washington, you should be used to this! But, as the cars skidding around me, you are obviously not. Nothing like bringing traffic to a crawl for no reason.

I am a pretty laid-back guy when it comes to dealing with traffic. People are idiots, and they shouldnt be trusted. I know that guy with his blinker on, but not turning, isnt going to turn. But as soon as he shuts it off, he needs to get over right-freaking-now! Thanks guy, I needed to check my brakes.

At last but not least, to you O'-driver-of-the-camper-doing-40-in-a-70-zone, why are you not in the slow lane? You are pulling a enclosed trailer behind you, is that it? Ok, maybe 70 mph is hard to do in such a vehicle. I appreciate testing my steering as I needed to make a immediate turn left to not hit the guy who blasted his brakes as he approached you. As the cars behind behind me began to swerve, I was reminded of the shooting stars I will not see tonight because of the clouds. Some people just need to go back to driving school. All of these people cannot be here from Washington!

Anways, thanks for reading or listening to my rant. It was fun. I have a feeling I may have to share my thougts on a few other things in the future. Do me a favor, if you see someone like this, slap them. Tell them it was from me. Tell them, it was for thier own good. I live to drive another day.

Derek

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I'll jack the next tow bill up a little extra jsut for you :aok: . Seriously though you are far from alone. #1 Being a wrecker driver contracted with police and #2 being in Pittsburgh I see my share of the non-drivinig skills. From street racer Mr Mustang with a donought spare on the back, to eat in traffic guy(guilty I admit that one-although I am smart enought to only do it at red lights-while singing), to run with the left turn signal on then cut 3 lanes over in front of the Tow truck with a full size van hanging from the back and stop. Great example would be one of my traffic stop tows just yesterday. An hour before the Steeler game(not that I personally care about that) on the poorly designed Rt 28 which is one of the main ways to the stadium. Now our wreckers don't exactly blend in with Cavaliers and Neons (black with pink/purple/chrome lettering and vynel). I get to the end of the entrance ramp with my beacon lights on and still had to force my way into the stopped traffic. Over my radio which I was singing to myself with and over the 6.5 Deisel I could hear people yelling and screaming at each other. Cutting each other off, zigging and zagging making O progress. Took about a half hour to go about 3/4 mile. I get to the traffic stop, people are yelling at the officer as they go by! Said officer has about the same outlook as me, finding humor in peoples anger over something so dumb so we both actually b.s.ed and laughed about it the whole time(a couple times as the complainers were stuck at the light beside us). I've been yelled at and called almost everything you can imagine while hooking cars up. Some people shoudn't have a drivers liscense(and you wouldn't imagine the # of people who drive that actually don't).

I understand completely Derek. Like you I put about 100miles on the odo per day. Well OK that's a minimum, today I got too drive to Everett and back, in the liquid sunshine (which BTW, I love!) And normally I too amuse myself by watching the other drives. And yet again, your right about them, in all aspects... especially the part where some should not be allowed to drive! (even if you only implied it)

Slow drivers in the fast lane, speeders in the slow lane, people doing everything (talking on phone, eating, even reading a novel) everything BUT driving! People who will cut off the the world to get that one extra car length, only to fall back behind everyone they passed because they cannot look beyond the car right in front of them and anticipate the traffic flow. Tailgater's who seem to follow ever closer in poorer conditions.

I could go on and on with even more examples... they really do seem endless around here, don't they?

Oh and Derek, it is true that a lot of the people you and I find ourselves on the road with are not from Washington... Seattle/Tacoma attracts people from other states, even counties, for work and play, as do most metro area's. SeaTac shuttles in a constant flow of people from out of the area. Then we have the near countless military bases scattered all around Western WA (Note, this is not a knock on the US MIL... just fact)

Look at it this way.. you lived through another commute, so go crack one open and relax beer.gif

I had the pleasure of being in florida for spring break.. many, many years ago... oh gawd I feel old...

... I digress....

And I found it funny that every time there was a traffic jam, there was several accidents from people rear-ending others.. Looking at the stunned look on their faces, and then seeing out of state plates on the car just re-assured me that most of the kids around me driving were from smaller towns, that probably never see rush hour traffic, and myself being from toronto, and being used to constant stop/go/stop/go/slam brakes/go.... kept a watchful eye on my rearview mirror every time I had to stop....

One thing I can never understand, here in Ottawa, is how people can consistently suck at driving in winter conditions, even with the advent of these fancy "winter" tires. Every day on my way to class I see morons sliding down roads, in the ditch, or almost slide into me. Granted if you're new to the area I could understand, but when I see at least 10 cars in the ditch a day, there is a problem! I drive about 90kilometers a day 50/50 hwy/city and it never fails to amaze me how many times I will get tailgated, even when going 10 over the limit, AND they have plenty of opportunity to pass me! FWIW I drove on BFG long trails with less than 50% tread last winter and hardly had any issues. My friend who I car pool with has winter tires, and when I drove his car in the snow, I didn't even notice a difference between his goodyear nordic winters and michelin harmony all seasons.

Then there are the idiots who like to pass everyone in the merge lane, you know when there are 2 lanes and the one on the right ends about 300 meters after the sign. Usually some dumbass in a pickup truck or ricer car tries to pass everyone, I just hold my speed and if he can't get in well that's too damn bad!

But yes, the amount of retards I see everyday shocks me. Our society is doomed. No wonder everything is so safety oriented now!

Then there are the idiots who like to pass everyone in the merge lane, you know when there are 2 lanes and the one on the right ends about 300 meters after the sign. Usually some dumbass in a pickup truck or ricer car tries to pass everyone, I just hold my speed and if he can't get in well that's too damn bad!

One of the fiew times I actually speed up "Uh no i didn't see or hear your little Civic until I saw pieces if it flying off the concrete wall over there..."

Get a lot of those here, also with merging onto the freeway from an onramp. I've caused many idiots to run off the road because they wouldn't either speed up and get in front of or slow down and get behind me.

No worries all, Im fine, just got me today. Recently, my co-worker and I who carpool, have had several near death experiences. Just shocks me how people can be so dumb. Yes, dumb! No other explination. I think the No-cell phone while driving law is a complete joke. No one abides by it. Plus, I see more people doing other things that they just should not be doing. Im sorry, they guy in the motorhome could of caused a huge accident. Luckily, there were some good drivers out there with me. Just gets to be too much some times. Well, for me, the best part to all of this is that in 2 weeks, I will be off of work for 2 months to enjoy my new son. He is the only thing I will have to worry about for a while.

Thanks for listening and responding to my rant everyone. Good to know Im not the only one out there. Scott, I still think you are crazy as all get out for driving to Everett.

One of the fiew times I actually speed up "Uh no i didn't see or hear your little Civic until I saw pieces if it flying off the concrete wall over there..."

I do that too but wanted to see if anyone else would admit it before me :lol:

I don't do that...not exactly worth getting in a wreck over your ego and "getting back" at the other driver.

Do it with your name and phone # plastered down the side of your truck. Their fault legally, they buy me a new bedside if they hit me.

Come on, no complaining about the Protege with a big wing, grapefruit shooter, 5% tint on every piece of glass, all the badges taken off with a big MAZDA sticker in the windshield, and 18" wheels that hot the quarter panels it they think of throwing a bic pen on the back seat? Your no fun... *kicks ground*

Do it with your name and phone # plastered down the side of your truck. Their fault legally, they buy me a new bedside if they hit me.

I know how you feel nun, I to drive a billboard... I mean company vehicle. But sadly due to the side of the company I work for, there is little chance for me getting out of it without trouble. People have been given verbal and written warnings for reports (call ins) abut them. any physical damage to anything (involving a company vehicle) results in a 3 day suspension on the first offense.

Basically, we must play nice at ALL times... it really SUCKS!

But when I am in my own vehicle, well that can be a different story, I am free to do as I please... if I so chose.

I like the people who merge on to the freeway at 35-40 mph and then honk and scream at people when they swerve to miss or go around them!

When I was living in New Mexico, I was amazed at the number of idiot drivers. Interstate highway... lots of open space... myself and 2 other cars on the road. Of course, they are in front of me, driving 50 mph in a 70 zone. Not only are they both in front of me but there is one in each lane and neither are interested in passing or moving over. Now, I have done things like that to intentionally pissoff people who come flying up behind me at 90 when I'm doing 75 in a 55 zone and they flap their arms and expect me to move. Dude.. I'm already speeding but, if you think I am doing wrong, I'll slow down to the speed limit.

Worse is merging. When entereing a highway, you tend to take a look over your shoulder and plan a spot to enter, match the speed and go... UNLESS SOME ARSEHOLE STOPS ON THE RAMP IN FRONT OF YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID TO USE THAT PEDAL ON THE RIGHT TO ACCELLERATE AND FEEL THAT THEY ARE DRIVING A 747 AND NEED ADEQUATE CLEAR HIGHWAY FOR A TAKEOFF

I nearly killed some lady when I accellerated, assuming that the car in front of me took advantage of the 30 car length opening. I looked forward just in time to swerve around her on the right, coming within a foot of both her car and a guide rail.

I'll throw in my 2 cents. Californians are pretty poor drivers and I think the reasons are that at least 1/2 of the year driving conditions are perfect so there is no 'need' for 'caution', and that a significant percentage of the population is certain that they are the center of the universe. This means that the first real rain (slippery roads) always rack up a record number of wrecks. I'm 50 miles north of San Francisco (damn near in the country) so I don't have to deal with the Bay Area traffic and don't think I could...

There was a crazy scenario where the hill just north of the Golden Gate Bridge had some snow fall on the top one evening. (55MPH, really narrow lanes, windy road going over a crest and steeply down hill just after exiting a tunnel!! Sound like fun?? Only way to and from the city from the north) Anyway, There was some ludicris pile up, something like 40 cars and several deaths, all due to people driving to fast at night in poor conditions, beyond visibility. I'll have to try to find the article...

Here it is, with memory comes exageration, apparently... :D

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/12/MNG9BHMTS51.DTL

The other scenario I have seen that is hideously dangerous is some double digit IQ, grain fed flat lander driving a rented minivan on the coast roads (HYW 1, etc). These are 2 lane twisty hill side roads with 100-500 foot cliffs on one side and no railings, few soft shoulders, etc. Literally a few feet and down you go. Someone who has never been on a road elevated higher than the top of the levee should never be allowed to drive on these roads!!

Of course the meat bag clan is driving 17 MPH and gazing out over the ocean or trying to peer down at the beaches, not even staying in their lane. Congratulations Ta-Tonka, keep gawking like that and you'll get down to that beach real fast!! Hopefully you won't bring along anyone else...

B

Edited by Precise1
posted article link

What is scary is following a U-Haul up (northbound) HWY 1. You know they don't know the road, and when they miss judge the turn you could very possibly see them run a southbounder off the cliff. Luckily the one I got stuck behind never met oncomming traffic when they understeered.

Worse is merging. When entereing a highway, you tend to take a look over your shoulder and plan a spot to enter, match the speed and go... UNLESS SOME ARSEHOLE STOPS ON THE RAMP IN FRONT OF YOU BECAUSE THEY ARE AFRAID TO USE THAT PEDAL ON THE RIGHT TO ACCELLERATE AND FEEL THAT THEY ARE DRIVING A 747 AND NEED ADEQUATE CLEAR HIGHWAY FOR A TAKEOFF

Here's a fun twist on both of these scenarios. was driving the ex's BIG BRIGHT YELLOW XTERRA... merging onto the highway, make my way around the ramp, gaining speed, check blindspot, and HOLY SHIZAM!!! *SWERVE* Some asshat, who is obviously much more important than everyone else on the highway got off the highway, to get onto MY onramp, so he can get ahead a few cars, and cut everyone off. Didn't see me, damn near takes me out... Yes Captain Important, it was rather rude of me to be using the onramp TO GET ON THE HIGHWAY. P...

I had to stop taking that highway to work, it made me a very angry person.

You all should come visit AZ when the monsoon starts to kick in. How about a dust storm followed by a torrential downpour after three months of drought. Couple that with all of the Cali d-bags that have moved here in the last few years. Talk about unprepared drivers. The funniest part is going to the auto parts store after the first rain in a long while. 9 out of 10 people are buying wipers. What's even better is sitting in the parking lot and watching them trying to install the wipers in the rain. Priceless.

I do not miss driving in Phoenix. I did well, I never got into a accident. I watched many of them though. I cant remember the name of the intersection anymore, but I remember there being one that here was a accident at everyday. I also had a guy doing 70+ on 202 that for no apperent reason, hit his brakes and began flipping me off. What a wacko.

Here in Washington, when you merge onto the freeway, others drivers dont have to let you in. This always makes for some fun darting and weaving. Truckers will usually move over if they can, but some dont.

People complain about traffic, but they dont do anything about it. If they just paid attention and drove like they are supposed to, we would all get to our destinations faster and safer. As we learned in kindergarten.."Stay within the lines. The lines are our friends!"