What About This "seafoam" Stuff ?

DoctorBill

So I'm in our Small Town country Farm Supply Hardware Store buying hardened

Steel Bolts and Nuts by the pound (refreshing change from "Bubble Packs" in

everything pre-packaged Stores), and as I' leaving I see about a dozen

bottles of "SeaFoam" on a shelf !

I have heard of this "Miracle Elixer" on some forums and there seems to be

a cult surrounding it.

I'm figuring - if a bunch of Farmers are buying it, maybe it is good stuff.

Then again, if a bunch of Farmers are buying it, maybe I should not buy it...

Supposedly just Kerosene and Isopropyl alcohol.

So I thought why not start a discussion thread about this "elixer".

Is it worth the almost $9 a pint to use it in my Gasoline ?...or oil ?

Will it cure all my car's ailments?

Would my riding mower benefit from it's magic application?

:scratchhead:

Should I give some to my wife to drink....:skull:

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

I used seafoam in my push mower and it ran like a champ. a cap full in the gas a cap full in the intake a bit of blue somoke and so on. the most traditional method of use for vehcles(full treatment) is right before an oil change;

1/3 goes in the gas(make sure you have @ least 5gal in the tank)

1/3 goes in the oil

1/3 gets sucked up a vacum line

usually the brake booster vacum is used because its large and easy to get to on most makes. when the last of it is goning immideately kill the engine(or some say let it suck enought to kill it for you but I don't like that) anyway the idea it that some should be able to soak into the engine for 10min rathere than burining it all. so after 10 min start it up, it will turn hard and may need help.

Expect a smoke show! the color and pattern of the smoke is an indication of how much the engine really needed it. my some was pure thick white the whole time(clean)

thin white, blue and black are indications that the eingine was dirty and now you are burning all the cap this petrolium solvent dislodged.

change your oil, (don't go over 100mi with this in the oil, its just like using atf in the oil) it will likely be nasty, and this it the freed crud in your bottom end.

the amount in the gas will take care of itself as it cleans your fuelsystem and gets replaced by more fuel the next time you pump.

I love the stuff, it makes a fun smoke show but more than that I've seen several OLD engines and a few mistreated newer engines run allot beter after it. If your doing this to improve imissions give about 100+ miles for all the old crap it freed to get out of the system before testing.

it may clean her mouth but if she doesn't stall on you it will clean her colin too (and everything in between)

but please this would be useless without pics.....lol

but on another note im willing to also give this ago in my terry. but i cant find an australian stockist for the stuff

Its good stuff and it works...

Its not harmful unless your truck has bad valve guides with a lot of carbon on then that not leting the oil get past into the cylinders.

People use it for every thing,from fogging boat motors to race engines and every thing between...

Seafoam is awesome stuf...used it on 3 different rigs with great results.

and by great results he means the nightbors hate him because they are coughing and spitting in the smoke lol.

Its all good fun tho!

• 3 weeks later...

I have heard mixed reviews on other car forums about this stuff. Some people have experienced oil leaks (some major, some minor) after using it. The theory being the seafoam cleaned away the engine gunk along with part (or all) of an old, warn gasket(s). I actaully have a can in my garage but I'm hesitant to use it cause I can't deal with an oil leak at the moment.

I buy it in gallon cans...

both my pathies drink it, 250K & 230K

78 Case 222 tractor loves it (never need to wrench on it; secretly a Nissan?-)

Boat is stored with a 1/4 tank of gas and seafoam every winter; Fill her up with gas in the spring and it is ready to go.

Only thing is if you add to oil let it idle; don't go for a drive as the "constructions" say.

driving anything with thinned oil under load is not a good thing.

It isn't a miracle elixer so if you have a bad valve or other issues it won't fix them.

Also stops the gas tank varnish/gunk when gas gets old (like stabil)but works better IMHO.

:cheetos:

If you change your oil regularly and use a good name brand oil (with detergent) you shouldn't need to do any engine flushing ever. In my opinion, it should only be use in older neglected engines or ones where crappy oil was used and rarely ever changed.....thus allowing for gunk to build up....

If the engine has a billion miles on it...just leave it be as is and use good oil. I reluctantly used seafoam to flush my oil with and now I just have a noisier engine with no performance improvement.

If you REALLY want to clean up the engine, just break it down and do it the right way...by hand. Then you can also replace the worn gaskets and seals where possible. Of course this is, if you are knowledgeable with engine work.

I never trust many of these "snake oil" products that make such fabulous claims like "soaking into the metal" or "improve performance with one application!!" (if it looks like something Billy Mays would be pitching....it's CRAP)

Of course, if the engine is on its last legs anyway and you will try anything to get a few more months or miles out of it.....anything goes! but like others have mentioned, dont FLUSH IT, you may ruin already worn seals....if anything, use a heavier weight oil and just live with it.

I already asked this in a thread I started in the 86.5 - 89 forum, but I figured I'd ask here too cause I need an answer ASAP.

Will seafoam clean out the PCV valve and related components? I am having and idle issue and think the PCV valve might be the problem.

I already asked this in a thread I started in the 86.5 - 89 forum, but I figured I'd ask here too cause I need an answer ASAP.

Will seafoam clean out the PCV valve and related components? I am having and idle issue and think the PCV valve might be the problem.

Were I you, I would remove the PCV Valve, pour or squirt SeaFoam into the PCV hole and put in a NEW PCV Valve,

let it set overnight and then maybe repeat it (sans the new valve, of course.).

I just ran a bottle thru my '93 Geo Metro's gas and also drowned the engine with it - let it set overnight

and started her up again.

Did not get the huge cloud of smoke predicted by many posters on the Geo Metro Web site wherein I have

been known to lurk about...

Geo Metro Web Site

I may try it in my '95 Pathfinder V6 - XE, but right now it is 2° F outside and I don't even want

to leave my nice warm chair to pee....

arctic-ice.jpg

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

pcv valves are usually less than $10, just get a new one if you think it's clogged. Idling problems are usually caused by leaking vacuum lines -seafoam will not help you here.

I used a half bottle in a tank of gas a couple times, but i never noticed a difference. I am reluctant to pour it in my oil and intake because it's a solvent. I agree with Chriskaw440. If you treat the engine well, you shouldn't need to use this product. A new set of plugs, wires, cap and rotor should net you a bit more power and fuel efficiency.

seafoam does work excellent as a penetrating oil. You can buy it in an aerosol can which makes it easier to apply. I assume the aerosol can would also make it easier to spray into your vacuum lines if you feel inclined to do so. :handlebars:

• Like 1

If the engine runs well don't fsck with it.

Yes....but we LIKE to fsck with it....! Then we come here to ask questions.

We are all just a bunch of fsckers.....

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill