Strange Popping sounds coming from front end..

colbywan

I have the strangest popping noises coming from my front end. They're almost like a creaking/popping sounds that happens only when I'm turning and going around corners or pulling out of my driveway while turning and the front end mildly articulates ya know like when pulling out over bump with your wheels turned. They sometimes only make a single pop and other times they pop 2 or 3 times?? I have replaced pretty much everything I can think of in the front suspension (just gradually updating). I've done upper & lower ball joints, new control arm bushings, new compression rod bushings, new sway bar end links, new centerlink, new idler arm, and new tie rods (all of em). I just finished my 3" body lift install yesterday and thought that maybe it was a front body mount making the pop since every other effin thing had been replaced but after I finished I went for a test drive and there was that dam* sound again! Grrr :headwall:

Oh and it's not a CV pop I know what those sound like. CV boots look perfect too...

Any ideas ladies & gents?

Thanks

-Colby

I bet it is your steering stops.

For it to be the steering stops would it have to be turned to full lock? Because it does it when going round corners when I know it's not even close to lock ya know. :shrug:

-Colby

Any non-suspensio related objects that could be interfering with moving stuff up front possibly hitting anythign?

Not that I can find, but I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

There was a thread on AC years ago about similar noise issues. The guy finally cured it by retorquing the bolts on the front crossmember (right under the sway bar mounts). Could give that a shot.

Hmm could be I'll give everything up there a good crank. See what pans out.

Thanks peeps!

In order of ease:

1 - Steering stops. They are curved and may hit lock under compression when not locked on flat ground. The plastic covers are probably worn off. Solution - apply grease to the stops and test. If that fixes the creak, replace the plastic covers or keep them greased. If the creak doesn't go away proceed to step 2.

2 - Cross-member bolts. 4 bolts hold the front differential cross-member to the frame. They will develop a creak over time in both the 2wd and 4wd WD21 Pathfinders and D21 pickups. Spray some lube on the cross-member and tighten down the 4 bolts. If you still have a creak proceed to step 3.

3 - Compression rod bushings. There is a short rod going from the rear of the lower control arm to the frame. The rubber bushings wear out over time and the rod begins to rub the frame. Spray with lube and if the squeak stops it's time to replace them.

In order of ease:

1 - Steering stops. They are curved and may hit lock under compression when not locked on flat ground. The plastic covers are probably worn off. Solution - apply grease to the stops and test. If that fixes the creak, replace the plastic covers or keep them greased. If the creak doesn't go away proceed to step 2.

2 - Cross-member bolts. 4 bolts hold the front differential cross-member to the frame. They will develop a creak over time in both the 2wd and 4wd WD21 Pathfinders and D21 pickups. Spray some lube on the cross-member and tighten down the 4 bolts. If you still have a creak proceed to step 3.

3 - Compression rod bushings. There is a short rod going from the rear of the lower control arm to the frame. The rubber bushings wear out over time and the rod begins to rub the frame. Spray with lube and if the squeak stops it's time to replace them.

Very good sir I will commence process of elimination starting with step 1 & then proceeding on to step 2.

I thank u for your detailed advice.

The compression rod bushings have been replaced recently so I'm sure they're fine. Therefore I'll be skipping step 3 if for some reason the popping persists after addressing step 1 & 2.

-Colby

don't forget your tie rods and bearings, check em by pushing on the wheel

I replaced all my tie rods and I forgot to mention that I did the wheel bearings not very long ago at all when I replaced the front rotors.

Tanks mang!

-Colby

I replaced all my tie rods and I forgot to mention that I did the wheel bearings not very long ago at all when I replaced the front rotors.

Tanks mang!

-Colby

My front axles need to be replaced and "pop" when i turn. Thats probably your best bet. check if the boots on the axle shaft have any holes in them. Its not a sure sign if an axle is bad but if so the grease that belongs in there has whipped out from centrifugal force while you drive and is no longer in there. the balls in the bearings tend to "pop" without grease.

I had that same popping noise up front on my old '87, and it turned out to be the bolts on the cross member.

I've got this same popping sound, and it started with what sounds like tires rubbing...but I even had a friend check it out from outside and try to figure out where the sound was coming from. At first I thought my steering was just shot, but he said it was coming from behind my front wheels so I think my problem's from the crossmember also...I just keep forgetting to fix it it when I have time.

I had a sound like that when backing out of driveway , which is down hill, and then turning. It turned out that with the steering turned AND the suspension compressed the tires were rubbing. If you have tire >31" you might want to check this and if needed trim your wheel well fenders. Good LUCK !

glenn

My front axles need to be replaced and "pop" when i turn. Thats probably your best bet. check if the boots on the axle shaft have any holes in them. Its not a sure sign if an axle is bad but if so the grease that belongs in there has whipped out from centrifugal force while you drive and is no longer in there. the balls in the bearings tend to "pop" without grease.

The CV boots are in perfect condition and besides I am very familiar with the sounds of one clicking and popping and this is totally different than that.

I had that same popping noise up front on my old '87, and it turned out to be the bolts on the cross member.

Yeah I greased my stops and it had no effect so and I was pretty sure it wouldn't so I'm thinking that this is almost for sure what my problem is too.

I've got this same popping sound, and it started with what sounds like tires rubbing...but I even had a friend check it out from outside and try to figure out where the sound was coming from. At first I thought my steering was just shot, but he said it was coming from behind my front wheels so I think my problem's from the crossmember also...I just keep forgetting to fix it it when I have time.

I'm thinking it's my crossmember too like they said..

I had a sound like that when backing out of driveway , which is down hill, and then turning. It turned out that with the steering turned AND the suspension compressed the tires were rubbing. If you have tire >31" you might want to check this and if needed trim your wheel well fenders. Good LUCK !

glenn

I've got 6" of lift and only 32" tires. I'm more than positive that the tires aren't rubbing but thanks for the help friend! :beer:

Thanks for all yer help fellows!!

-Colby

Edited by colbywan

There was a thread on AC years ago about similar noise issues. The guy finally cured it by retorquing the bolts on the front crossmember (right under the sway bar mounts). Could give that a shot.

Popping usually means what Grim posted.

Should be a picture, circle and arrows if ircc (if you can find the post)

Popping usually means what Grim posted.

Should be a picture, circle and arrows if ircc (if you can find the post)

Indeed. Did the picture look something like this?? :jig:

683038425_TAeJs-X2.jpg

683038429_Jid6B-X2.jpg

Thanks Mook for the lead.

-Colby

this very same problem happened to me a few years back and re tightening the cross member bolts didnt help and when I did my sl 3 years ago it went away up until last month..im going to try to retighten the cross member nuts..any idea what the torque spec is guys ?

Are you sure there's no popcorn under your hood/

There was so I ate it, thanks for finding it!

same noise just started a couple days ago, thanks for posting.

Yeppers!

this very same problem happened to me a few years back and re tightening the cross member bolts didnt help and when I did my sl 3 years ago it went away up until last month..im going to try to retighten the cross member nuts..any idea what the torque spec is guys ?

I have no idea... I just set the ol Porter Cable impact gun hard hittin' then went to town!!

Thanks again folks, I tightened things up today and haven't heard a single pop. If anything changes you'll be the first to hear.

-Colby