Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Tungsten

Yes I searched before I was going to post...

Anyway, I am looking for an oil filter relocation kit for my pathy. The primary goal is to make room for upcoming headers and make sure my starter won't guzzle the oil that comes into it anymore. I seen so many random brands but never actually installed one. What should I get? What to avoid? The more info, the better. Thanks!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got mine from Summit Racing, forget the name right now. Trans adapt?? They are all pretty much the same. Search using the advanced and put my name in, there is a thread about the only issue I have found. Oh, a crowsfoot wrench will probably make the install far easier...

Way to come back Aaron... :rolleyes:

B

Trans-Dapt or Perma-Cool. Like Precise1 mentioned they are all basically the same. If you wait for the header install the job will be much easier. The only real issue is figuring out where to put the filter. I put mine up under the fender behind the headlight. My1path mounted his on a frame crossmember. I would try to avoid mounting it in the engine compartment since you will still make a mess with oil changes. Search is nobody's friend.

Trans-Dapt or Perma-Cool. Like Precise1 mentioned they are all basically the same. If you wait for the header install the job will be much easier. The only real issue is figuring out where to put the filter. I put mine up under the fender behind the headlight. My1path mounted his on a frame crossmember. I would try to avoid mounting it in the engine compartment since you will still make a mess with oil changes. Search is nobody's friend.

I agree. I have mine in a "convenient" place in the engine comp, but it gets in the damned way of everything. Plus if you mount it running away from the headers you will avoid heat. When I get a chance I'll relocate my relocation kit to a crossmember too.

Ditto on Summit for the kit. I believe mine was Permacool brand. Slick gave me the part # that I can't seem to recall, but I mounts to our truck's filter location, and then the relo adapter takes a basic small block Ford V8 filter, meaning added oil capacity (an oil change now about 4+ quarts... which is a good thing) and you can find the filter anywhere for CHEAP. (other brand/make filter sizes are available of course) Mine is mounted right on the passenger side fender behind the battery. One of the best mods I've made on the rig for sure.

IMG_2616.jpg

I would be worried about some @!*% coming off the tires or a stick puncturing the filter in that position. It seems very to be vulnerable to me.

But it isn't going to stop me importing a kit all the same.

Now, where'd I put that piggy bank?

I would be worried about some @!*% coming off the tires or a stick puncturing the filter in that position.

Why is everyone so scared of something hitting the filter up there? It's still at least a foot away from the tire. Filters are not easy to puncture either. Getting wrapped up in a ball of barbed wire might be an issue, but I think the filter could withstand that as well. The best part about that location is oil change time. Zero mess.

Why is everyone so scared of something hitting the filter up there? It's still at least a foot away from the tire. Filters are not easy to puncture either. Getting wrapped up in a ball of barbed wire might be an issue, but I think the filter could withstand that as well. The best part about that location is oil change time. Zero mess.

Two words: Murphy's Law

Would the headers melt the hoses by any chance?

I haven't heard of that happening to anyone. I have used this same kit with both Thorleys and Pacesetters and the hoses have never showed any signs of heat damage. A heat shield probably wouldn't hurt though.

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry425644

The above will take you to another thread regarding oil filter relocation.

I think Koveman was refering to a local heat shield for the oil filter relocation hoses. Not something that was connected onto the headers themselves.

In my opinion i believe the hoses would melt or at least be severely damaged if they came in contact with the headers, but if there is enough air gap then the hoses should be okay. I do not know what the minimum air gap you can get away with is, but personally i would go no less than 1". If you read the thread I've given here you will see that I personally overkilled the hoses just to be sure. However, there are plenty of people that have used the hoses (some come with hoses & some don't) that are supplied with oil filter relocation kit without issue.

I was concerned about the fuel lines being kind of close to the headers so I used heat sheath from Design Engineering, Inc to add a little protection. You could do the same for the oil filter relocation lines because the sheath comes in different sizes. http://www.designengineering.com/products....m=sp&pid=37

I purchased the sheath from local auto parts store but they didn't carry all the sizes so you may have to order the larger ones if you wanted them.

Well here I've gone :blah: again.

I was concerned about the fuel lines being kind of close to the headers so I used heat sheath from Design Engineering, Inc to add a little protection. You could do the same for the oil filter relocation lines because the sheath comes in different sizes. http://www.designengineering.com/products....m=sp&pid=37

I purchased the sheath from local auto parts store but they didn't carry all the sizes so you may have to order the larger ones if you wanted them.

Well here I've gone :blah: again.

I can't remember the company but they made heat shield wraps for fuel lines. It looks like a space blanket. Pretty much all GM RWD V8's had it I think. But it looks just like a space blanket and looks a little better than the insulated coverings.

but it all accomplishes the same job. I don't think anyone off road will ask to see your engine lol