A Sad Event

Kittamaru

So, today I saw a PRISTINE Cherry Red 1992 XE-V6 at a local dealership... wanted to get an offer from them, but then I saw the three dreaded letters on the windscreen:

CFC

Cash for Clunkers...

UGH!

I went in and asked... the fskcers are going to shred it! WTF! They aren't even ALLOWED to sell PIECES from it!

GRRR!!!

Is there any way to save this beauty? The frame and body are 100%, the engine is dead (fskcing dealership poured boron or some stupid @!*% into it to lock it up they said) but everything else looks A-OK.

uh... uhm... I'd prefer NOT to go to jail... lol... it might hinder me starting my new job tomorrow (well, today at thsi point)

The fact that the dealership killed the engine is a problem too :P

Edited by Kittamaru

uh... uhm... I'd prefer NOT to go to jail... lol... it might hinder me starting my new job tomorrow (well, today at thsi point)

The fact that the dealership killed the engine is a problem too :P

Tow dolly/flatbed , put it in a garage, chisel the VIN, etc. Who is going to complain?? "Officer, quick, someone stole my clunker. No it didn't run..." :rolleyes:

B

KBB lists the dealer retail of a 92 at $2750 and private sale at $1500, whoever traded it probobly got $4500 from cfc. It would be hard to pass up an extra 3G. You should find out what JY there sending it to. The engine is murdered, but I thought that the rest was up for grabs at the JY.

From what I gather most of the CFC's wont see a JY...they will get crushed...

But I also know that there have been a lot of dealerships that didnt put the silicate or whatever in the engine b/c they realized they weren't getting their $ and weren't going to trash all of these cars...I think it's probably one of the stupidest programs that could have ever been formulated

The concept was alright to get people to boost sales in the automotive industry but to trash perfectly good cars that could either be resold or parted out AKA recycled in a useful manner (other than smelting them)...granted some of the clunkers were destined to the crusher anyways...makes me think of that RARE maserati that had like 20k miles on it but i'm sure the dealer opted to eat the CFC and keep that car

I know the dealership my buddy worked at about a week ago did something over 1400 CFC's and they had seen the $ for 4 cars and from his understanding if the govt doesnt come through with the $ that gets tacked back onto the people's bill and will make many of the cars unaffordable for people.

I haven't researched it but that's what I heard from a few buddies that work at dealerships

Lobby your senator and congress rep for high, nordic-level excise/green/carbon taxes on fossil fuels.

Cash for clunkers is just one in a long serious of energy policy fumbles that is sabotaging US-based auto manufacturers and impoverishing American citizens.

Petrol.jpg

Lobby your senator and congress rep for high, nordic-level excise/green/carbon taxes on fossil fuels.

Sure. I'll get right on that. Right after I ask them to give everyone free health care while raising my insurance bill. Talk about impoverishing citizens. The CFC program was a blatant handout to the auto manufacturers, not an environmental policy move.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but Canada has some of the richest reserves of natural resources of any country in the world. Somehow your elected officials have managed to keep those resources from making Canada a more prosperous nation. It's no secret that you cannot tax the citizenry into prosperity.

... It's no secret that you cannot tax the citizenry into prosperity.

I can tell that you and Kingman have extensively traveled in northern Europe and have some well-grounded strong beliefs on this matter.

BTW, do both of you belong to "Let's Turn the USA into a Banana Republic" Party? :D

Are both of you monitoring the fiscal huh, err situation that confronts the US? Do you really believe that US will not raise taxes in the near future?

My mom and I went to the Kia dealership to see if she would qualify for fun. I saw some gorgeous cars in there. There was a mint dark red '98 Mustang Cobra with the sport package, 5 speed, tan leather interior, and 150k on the odometer. ...CFC...

Also a few WD21s, Broncos, Tahoes, 4Runners, GP GTPs, etc. Such a fskcing waste.

People who get suckered into things thinking they're the best thing ever.

And I'm changing what I said, the Mustang was at the Ford dealership as a CFC and the others were at the Kia dealership. They're right next to each other.

The thing about CFC that annoys the hell out of me is that I'm one of those "poor" folks who drives a pathy in the same year range as all those clunkers - and it makes no sense to me that they can't sell the parts off of them to help mine run up to snuff.

Good that they canned the program, because if it had become permanent (never an option due to the cost) ppl like me would be forced to ride the f'n bus or drive total junk.

It's not just Obama - government programs almost always have the opposite effect from the one presented to the public. It was a sop to the car companies from the beginning.

I am learning something here

So the new american program to help people chaanging old car for new

destroy old car ??

That's pretty tight mesure.

Hope they don't do that in Canada.

It's called retire your ride here in Ontario i think

British Columbia has a Scrap It program.

BC doesn't even manufacture vehicles! But we have some nasty air that piles up in the Lower Fraser valley and makes people sick, kills a few on occasion.

You can choose to buy a bicycle instead of a new vehicle.