Nissan Pathfinder $1.85 million lawsuit verdict will stand

Pezzy

My frame was like magregors, dirt wise, when I got it. If you put your finger in the hole (lol) you couldn't push down at all. Luckily the previous owners had taken decent care of it so it wasn't rotted.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if I am wrong...I have heard rumors that from late 93-96, Nissan switched steel suppliers which they used to fabricate the frames and that the steel was a different balance of alloys, which in turn, made them more susceptible to oxidizing more quickly if not protected right off the lot... Is this true? Any takers on this?

That is what I understand, yes...

Oh, Stella FTW!! :beer:

B

Forget it. We should all travel around in protective bubbles and not touch anything. Life should be a bland boring ride with anitbactrial hand sanitizer at our hips. Not coming in contact with anyone or anything would fix everything.

Anyone know who won the Firestone tire/Ford explorer problem?

Correct me if I am wrong...I have heard rumors that from late 93-96, Nissan switched steel suppliers which they used to fabricate the frames and that the steel was a different balance of alloys, which in turn, made them more susceptible to oxidizing more quickly if not protected right off the lot... Is this true? Any takers on this?

Yes you are 100% correct.

People like this don't deserve to reproduce... how in the hell is it Nissan's fault that she got hit HARD ENOUGH to rip the goddamn WHEEL off? Any other vehicle, and she'd be DEAD!

know who won the Firestone tire/Ford explorer problem?

I was involved in that fiasco when I was a shop foreman for Bridgestone/Firestone Canada. The tire manufacturer didn't accept blame, but decided to pay out. I had to take all the Firestone Wilderness ATs and cut a 10" slit in the sidewall and anyone who owned a Ford Explorer came in and I had to put on a new set of Bridgestone tires as a replacement. The main reason in the end (and Ford quietly changed the badging) was that on the Ford Explorer's tire pressure badge, it stated that this vehicle, weighing in at around 4000 lbs, to have an inflation of 26 psi in the tires! The tires would obviously get hot due to friction on the sidewall from the tire being HALF FLAT! The tire would eventually fail (more apparent in hotter climate) and the truck would ROLL OVER. Ford quietly decided to change the operating tire pressure to 35 psi on the new Explorer...hmm...that didn't make the news...

Edited by magregor

Hmm...a front end collision where the floorboard comes caving in? that means she was doing some serious speed or she landed straight on top of something....I honestly don't see how any side collision would crush too far beyond the frame unless it was a vehicle that is higher than the pathy...I think they should do something like that with the pathy and whatever she drives now...Id bet she'd probably have been dead in whatever she drives now...

I guess its a good thing that she had the 95 and not an 87 b/c when i stripped my 87 doors i realized there isnt any tubing for the "roll/impact cage" but in the 95 doors it's there

when you do anything in life there is a risk that you must understand that is there and deal with it...and no matter how much it is tested/analyzed every load condition could never be examined...and theres also a big difference in a mini cooper running into you and concrete truck...some things just aren't going to save you in every incident but most are tailored to what's most common...I hate it when people make $ on stupid things

Nissan should file a case against the judge himself and his judgement

- The government sets the acceptable safety standards , so why not sue the government ?

- Who forced Mrs Perdue to buy a pathfinder ? if the collision was so strong mayeb she should be thankfull the pthfinder din't turn over

- The article is written in such a bias way "Mrs. Perdue will never walk normally again, but fights through the pain of each step she takes," they said, adding she still has screws, plates and rods in her leg and ankles., damn it this happens to any one who breaks a bone

My mom fell on the stairs and now has screws in her ankle , maybe I should file a case against the engineers and contractors who built the building and the factory who cut the stones

Sometimes I think in our third world where I am living we still have some advantages over the advanced worlds

It just frustrated me to read this article

you do realize that budweiser is a non existent company, right?

yes but when there are design/production flaws then that becomes another matter and thus this court action.

yes, and it pretty much spans all years with some being worse then others.. i think many 92, 94, and 95 had a bit worse of a problem.. and yeah, you can read some threads about those issues here or many other places on the world wide web.

Maybe we should sue the counties / states that salt the road for increasing the risk of frame rust.

Why would you put a chemical that is corrosive to steel on the road.

Class act lawsuit I say.

My 87 does't have a spec of rust on it.

This is what happens to a 1992 WD21 Pathfinder when it runs into the side of a Suburban at 40mph. I had a bruise from my seatbelt. I sued the driver that ran the stop sign. My guess is that this c@nt couldn't get any ca$h from the un-insured driver that hit her so her lawyer went after Nissan. My truck saved my life so I bought another.

IMG_1815.jpg

This is what happens to a 1992 WD21 Pathfinder when it runs into the side of a Suburban at 40mph. I had a bruise from my seatbelt. I sued the driver that ran the stop sign. My guess is that this c@nt couldn't get any ca$h from the un-insured driver that hit her so her lawyer went after Nissan. My truck saved my life so I bought another.

Amen to that (and i am in the process of finding that steering wheel)

IMG_1815.jpg

crumple zones did as they were designed to.. absorb the impact.

If you lived in the midwest you would understand why I have owned 3 95 pathfinders (Rust sucks)

Being in the backwoods they don't salt; but when you go to the "Big City" where 500,000 people are driving like they never have seen snow or ice; Salt actually saves lives and destroys truck frames.

washing your truck every night when you get home is insane. ((Someone needs to retest for their G.E.D.) or get a larger "helmet" as yours is way 2 tight!-)

And if you ever really looked into the frame it isn't possible to get all the "crap" out.

(after chopping 3 pathy frames open I can vouch that the setup will not allow all the crap to come out; for instance the rear frame where the bumper and hitch connect has a middle piece to beef up the tow portion of the frame; holds ALOT of crap! I use water then air to clean my frame (I have a 6' brass tube i jam into the frame to get the "cement" out at 140psi.

Be glad you guys aren't in the rust belt for that reason alone; salt sucks, love winter.

But it isn't just a Nissan issue; and I would much rather weld my frame together than constantly wrench on a Jeep.

Besides alternators (sand eats 'em and upgrades I never have to work on my Pathy)

And if it seems like I was being a Jag, nope, just coverin' my midwest rust belt familia & 'splainin' to the lumberjacks that there is another world outside of the woods with people that have never seen real forests or even roads without street lights! scary but true...

:hugs:

I agree with MikeV..

Salt actually saves lives and destroys truck frames.

washing your truck every night when you get home is insane. ((Someone needs to retest for their G.E.D.) or get a larger "helmet" as yours is way 2 tight!-)

And if you ever really looked into the frame it isn't possible to get all the "crap" out.

I usually rinse my frame after every wheeling trip and I use the side holes throughout the frame to rinse it out and there are holes in teh bottoms of my rails that I rinse until it runs clear and sometimes it takes a long time...Now I know that is different where they use lots of salts and other chemicals on the roads but would it not be possible to clean out the frame as good as you can then buy grommets to plug all the open holes and then at the back where the bumper mounts just weld a plate on the inside to close it off? and I'm sure nissan's aren't the only ones iwth rust issues, b/c I've seen some nasty cancer down at the beach

Whats the difference in the HB frame and the pathy frame? my buddy has driven 3 different nissans on the beach over the past 40 years and usually the HB needed a new body before it needed a new frame...his older HB's would go tromping through salt water on a weekly basis and he never had frame issues...his "new" HB and frontier don't get wet but are down in the salt air all the time