factory foglight question for cops

edicer2

So i just got pulled over because the fog lights on the top of my suv because they werent covered. I could see why he would for my rear ones(I installed them and they ONLY turn on when i put it in reverse) I put the covers on for now. The 2 big lights on top facing forward are a factory option with the off road package. There are no covers for them can I still get a ticket for that? They werent on or anytihng he just saw the lights on my pathfinder and pulled me over for it.

Edited by edicer2

i was thinking the same thing i never got pulled over in 1 year of owning it and i work in the same building as the state patrol and they see it everyday and have never said a thing about it before

the new jeep libertys are coming with 4 roof lights bezeled into the front of the roof rack. I have never seen them covered, out of the dozen or more I've seen arround here and I've never seen one pulled over either. but each state and somtimes individual countys have differant laws. My vote goes to "bored cop"

same law here in cali.... you can only have one set of foglights (like the ones in your bumper for example) if you have anymore than that, uncovered, you could be cited even if they are off!

in san felipe baja, you can run anywhere from half a headlight to 15 HID's - doesnt matter!!!

i was thinking the same thing i never got pulled over in 1 year of owning it and i work in the same building as the state patrol and they see it everyday and have never said a thing about it before

Well, I think you should go ask the Stateys what the law is.

No one I know has ever been bugged for having roof or grill lights uncovered as long as they aren't on.

You probably just had a bored cop...

I know that in BC there is a law about them, but not in the rest of canada.

The X-Trail was available with a package that came with 2 lights mounted in the roof rack, if the vehicle was sold in BC there was a delete, or cover that needed to be put on them before they were allowed to be sold.

Don't know about laws in your area.

The X-Trail was available with a package that came with 2 lights mounted in the roof rack, if the vehicle was sold in BC there was a delete, or cover that needed to be put on them before they were allowed to be sold.

haha thats lame! i love the xtrail roof lights!

Any pointless road regulation/law is gay.

Not pointless really, the idea being that the lights could accidently get turned on and be distracting/blinding to other drivers.

Still stupid though.

same law here in cali.... you can only have one set of foglights (like the ones in your bumper for example) if you have anymore than that, uncovered, you could be cited even if they are off!

in san felipe baja, you can run anywhere from half a headlight to 15 HID's - doesnt matter!!!

you are right you can eve run with no light on

• 2 months later...
So i just got pulled over because the fog lights on the top of my suv because they werent covered. I could see why he would for my rear ones(I installed them and they ONLY turn on when i put it in reverse) I put the covers on for now. The 2 big lights on top facing forward are a factory option with the off road package. There are no covers for them can I still get a ticket for that? They werent on or anytihng he just saw the lights on my pathfinder and pulled me over for it.

I saw those lights on your sig and was going to ask until i saw the post under your member profile... anyway, what do those mount to? the roof rack? are they behind the sunroof ? or are they mounted straight to metal? do you have any upclose pics?

Thanks!

Gus.

• 2 months later...
I saw those lights on your sig and was going to ask until i saw the post under your member profile... anyway, what do those mount to? the roof rack? are they behind the sunroof ? or are they mounted straight to metal? do you have any upclose pics?

Thanks!

Gus.

hey i just saw your post sorry. they are monted to the factory light bar they are the OEM off road package foglights there ar a few other members on here with them also

i don't know of a state that allows more then 4 clear lights to be exposed or on. some states even have regs as to the height of said lights. some do not allow them on a roof.

having said that, i have driven with all 6 of mine on and even exposed a sitting in the dark cop with my spots but he didn't even flinch. :D

Here I was told they let it slide because of the deer on all the country roads. That and "most" people have the courtesy to turn them off when there is an oncoming driver or someone in front of you.

I was pulled over by a police officer & a trainee back in like Jan here in NC & was told that I was supposed to have covers on the ones on my roof rack because I could only have 4 exposed lights & the fog lights in the bumper take up the other 2 after the headlights. He didn't give me a ticket & I've never put covers on them. He was a pretty cool cop, not like the other jack-tards I've come across before then & since then...

you are right you can eve run with no light on

Good food, good offroading, full auto weapons, the US dollar still counts for something, beautiful beaches & very little laws going on... San Felipe Baja here I come!

Edited by Fukinitupagain

thats a no-go on full auto weapons. Guns are illegal in Mexico. So you have to be a real savage to have a gun down there. I know people who have guns down there anyways.... its illegal though.

and yes ramon hahahah you can run with no lights down there, no problem !!!

i have driven with all 6 of mine on and even exposed a sitting in the dark cop with my spots but he didn't even flinch. :D

It's like a rabbit in the bush, you can look right at him and he'll stay still hoping it isn't him you are looking at.

NZ's law is really vague P...

Fit the right number of lights

While individual lights may not dazzle or distract other road users, you must use your judgement to ensure the cumulative effect of additional lights you fit to your vehicle isn't hazardous

Never had any problems with Vix though.