suv comparision road test

inmotion

They do an off road test that a vw bug could handle, then chose the domestics with the lowest ground clearance, softest suspension and biggest motor.

Whatever, they can choose which ever one they want, it won't influence my choice at all. :shrug:

I wish they would have put the pathy through the mud hole first, then the exploder, just to see if it would still get stuck... :D

B

"underpowered"

yes, no arguement there

"lacking Maneuverabilty"

How do they figure? I've heard many a comment from others about that;

"wow this thing can turn" "how do you turn so tight" "I've never seen a car U-turn across one lane" "your gonna hit it... or not"

I don't think the 4runners that bad either.

Those guys were so biased. Not to say I am not. But 5 years down the road lets see which one has had more repairs?

Man those blazers were fugly!

Edited by adamzan

In regards to the turning radius, these SUCK compared to the others. The Muchos Gracias downtown here is a small drive-thru building, with the drive through that wraps around it. My old Explorer and my mom's Cherokee can make it in one turn to the other side, with room to spare. I have to back up a ways and get a better angle in the Pathfinder otherwise I'll run into the 2 foot tall brick planter that cases the drive-thru. Turning from the exact same spot, the Pathfinder ends up with a 4 foot wider turn than either the Cherokee or Explorer. The Cherokee is way nimbler than the Pathfinder, and the Explorer is a little less than the Cherokee.

Of the three, the Pathfinder turns and handles the worst, much worse.

Everyone who rides in the Cherokee after riding in the Pathfinder all ask why I don't drive that instead, because it is more powerful and handles a lot better. They laugh every time I have to make a few runs at a tight turn in the Pathfinder when the Cherokee, it's one graceful swoop.

It's a dog compared to the others.

5 years down the road I'd guess the Blazer would have the most repairs.

I prefer the styling of the Blazer over the Pathfinder.

Edited by Kingman

In regards to the turning radius, these SUCK compared to the others. The Muchos Gracias downtown here is a small drive-thru building, with the drive through that wraps around it. My old Explorer and my mom's Cherokee can make it in one turn to the other side, with room to spare. I have to back up a ways and get a better angle in the Pathfinder otherwise I'll run into the 2 foot tall brick planter that cases the drive-thru. Turning from the exact same spot,

I agree with you about the WD-21's horrible turning radius. But think they look way better than either than the newer blazers (like the older/removable top ones) & the explorers.

Edited by jitterymonkey

You might need to adjust your steering stops or something, mine turn on a freakin dime!

Inform me...

But turns on a dime compared to what?

Anything can turn on a dime to someone before they drive something that turns better...

Edited by Kingman

Explorer is Fugly and out of shape

Chevy blazer Jimmy is the worst 4x4 I have ever offroaded along side it used to be a burned when one of them used to be in the group

Cherokee is a good off roader can’t complain about it

I used to drive and we still have a 4 runner in the family it is a capable machine not as they showed it

As for the Pathy I think no need to defend it over here

When you are offroading why would you care for a high entry step or for a comfy ride when all you are tackling are ditches and rocks and mud ….

I would have loved seeing the Explorer and Blazer going thru a ditch or having to crawl over a rock

This guy is worse than Jeremy Clarkson in top gear

Inform me...

But turns on a dime compared to what?

Anything can turn on a dime to someone before they drive something that turns better...

The only thing I have ever driven that turns better is my wife's VW. Hell, they turn inside the Honda Accord I had.

My friends gmc sierra turns worse than my pathy, again it is a pickup. And an suv with a mushy suspension like the exploders and blazers will just make it handle like crap. Kingman, I bet your shocks and swaybar parts are all original, replace them, you'll see how well these trucks can handle. I can take a 40kmh on ramp at 65kmh and not even feel any body roll.

And GG. I didn't know you could adjust the steering stops. I'm going to try that sometime.

Edited by adamzan

My friends gmc sierra turns worse than my pathy, again it is a pickup. And an suv with a mushy suspension like the exploders and blazers will just make it handle like crap. Kingman, I bet your shocks and swaybar parts are all original, replace them, you'll see how well these trucks can handle. I can take a 40kmh on ramp at 65kmh and not even feel any body roll.

And GG. I didn't know you could adjust the steering stops. I'm going to try that sometime.

All swaybar parts are new besides the sway bar its-self. Shocks are old, you already know that. Going to replace them when I get the money.

Yep, actually the Pathys that came with 31s are adjusted so you can't turn as sharp (keep the tire from rubbing the frame). Both of mine came with the 28" tires so they had more turn in em. (Edit to add, they both have 31s now with no frame rub and the stock steering stop setting.)

Edited by GrimGreg

Yeah, the test was crap...

Can't quite make the turn in the pathy? Give the pedal a push and break the rear end loose... drive it rally style and you'll make any turn you like as though driving a WRX :D Always worked well for me, though it took some practice to get the break-and-recovery throttle down right.

Underpowered... eh, yeah. But of the five I reckon the Pathfinder gets the best fuel economy :D

As for the complaints about a hard step up or cramped interior... WTF? LOL? Did they have obese midgets trying to get into the truck?

Fuel economy - My explorer averaged 21mpg with 215k, and the Cherokee averages 19 mpg with 128k. I remember reading a review a while back about a 1993 Pathfinder SE and somewhere it said "but this great package is set back by the poorl fuel economy. We averaged a dismal 14 mpg during our test."

But the interior is really roomy giving the total size of the vehicle...even with the front seat all the way back, there's plenty of room back there. The Explorer and Jeep are pretty cramped back there if the front people want any room for themselves.

And the test wasn't crap - to the la de da normal people who don't know any better and want something comfortable that can go off road.

Of course WE look at that and go yeah whatever, because we are off road people, who take the off road seriously and realize the stiff suspension is better, the ground clearance and better tires are better, etc.

The other person is going to want it to be comfortable and easy to take off road, so they look for the softest suspension and find the easiest to use (the push button 4x4 in the Explorer).

The test took those rigs through stuff that most SUV owners will NEVER see. I doubt any of those specific trucks they had there ever saw another spec of dirt after the new owner bought them.

Edited by Kingman

As for the complaints about a hard step up or cramped interior... WTF? LOL? Did they have obese midgets trying to get into the truck?

No, just American office workers...

B

No, just American office workers...

B

It was funny, the Maxima seats I put in my 88 were almost 6" wider, guess they figure there are more fat-asses buying Maximas.

IIRC that offroad video that Ramon posted showed a quite large being able to get in and fit just fine in a WD-21.

I own a 99 Jimmy and an 02 pathy. They do not have a significantly different turning radius, the jimmy is lsightly better but is a 2 door vs the pathy 4 door. HOWEVER, the 91 Jimmy had before 99 had a WAY tighter turning circle. Blows the other two away for that particular thing. Not saying it is worse or better, just that it had a fantastic turning radius, better than anything else I have owned including a cavalier. My 91 rusted out bad tho... sheet metal was terrible. Other than that a very reliable truck with a very comfy interior that looked great, lots of room with good torque.

They do an off road test that a vw bug could handle, then chose the domestics with the lowest ground clearance, softest suspension and biggest motor.

Whatever, they can choose which ever one they want, it won't influence my choice at all. :shrug:

I wish they would have put the pathy through the mud hole first, then the exploder, just to see if it would still get stuck... :D

B

...One thing for sure, we may have seen them performing on a golf club backyard, and whatever they say about performances is quite relative... at Dakar 2009, first and second was volkswagen, third was surprisingly a Hummer, fourth and fifth were Nissan... (11 nissan finished the course)... on 91 cars that finished... Strange that on 91 vehicules, nothing resembling to cherokees, Ford or Chevys... but then again there were... 88 withdrawals... due to breakdowns...

...Isn't Dakar a good enough test drive for a vehicule? ...from 3 january to 18 january 2009, 6000 kms of obstacles to cross... i would keep my dime for another cheap game... or ground...

ah... i forgot ...after checking the ''classement''... didn't cost a dime :-)... 88 withdawals : 1 Jeep, 7 Nissan... no Chevys, no Fords., no M1A1 Abrams neither, were in that rally...it's a wonder... since it happened on the continent... Chili, Argentina.

http://www.dakar.com/2009/DAK/LIVE/us/1400...sement/CGA.html :clickdalink:

Edited by Pinip

I've driven a 95 exploder, 95 blazer (jimmy), 95 pathy, ridden in several 94 and 95 cherokee's but the one cherokee was running on 32's 33's

Explorer:

def has low ground clearance and its roll moment is scary to me...i had to drive my friends like 60 miles b/c he caught a ride to a different town with some chick so i had to drive his truck to pick him up on the way back to clt from greenville...i didnt like the way it turned and its roll moment just bothered me...we did some wheeling and we both got stuck in the same hole he bent up his rear bumper and i only bumped my hitch...he hasnt had a whole lot of repairs out of it and is still driving it and has had it about the same amount of time i've had my pathy...his was also the EB edition

blazer:

my brother had one and it had anything and everything wrong with it and I never wheeled it but drove it a couple times and its steering was a lil tigheter than the pathy but I wasn't that impressed with it...maybe a lil more power but ehh not that much more...had several friends that had them in HS and they all had the same problem with the injectors going bad and somehow spraying fuel into the oil and thrashing the engines

cherokee:

I've wheeled with 2 and both were running larger tires than me the one jeep got stuck 2 times and I trucked through the holes no problem he then sent me through some nasty stuff that i thought i ripped the undercarriage off on and he avoided the hole b/c he had been stuck there before...I don't like the cherokee's but they are capable...one thing I have seen with my buddies is the unibody poses some problems if you have to make repairs

4runner: never wheeled with one, rode in one or anything so i can really evaluate that but they are pretty similar to the pathy's and i've actually liked the 4 runner body more than the pathy for a while but the pathy look grew on me.

pathy:

my 87 turn radius was awesome but my 95's bumpstops were adjusted for 31s and it SUCKED so i had to crank those in so i could turn better...no1 is going to argue about the power on the pathy but with 4lo it is very capable...really surprised they didnt gig the complex 4wd shifting but that tells me they didnt put it in 4lo for the hill climb...

anywho I think they're all decently capable vehicles but i feel it was biased towards the domestics...I would take a 4runner/pathy over any of the other 3 any day