my new bike

FUELER

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, I used to be obsessed. In '04 I worked in a bike shop. I buit me a 2005 SantaCruz Heckler (not realated to the board shop)

I put a 2005 pre-release Fox Talas shock on it (I think the final sales version was lighter) and a Fox DHX 5.0 rear coil.

I later upgraded to the Pre-'06 Fox DHX AIR 5.0 and I'm running XT settup with saint hydraulic brakes and XTR rear cassette and XTR front Deralleur(sp)

I mangaged to race IN the Monteray Sea Otter Classic Downhill and Place 3rd in the Infenon Cougar Mtn Classic Downhill before I joined the Millitary.

th_myHecklernov05.jpg

BUt since then I've only done the occasoinal ride here and there....

EDIT

when GT came out with the I-drive years ago they handed out shot glasses @ their EXPO.

the SHOT GLASSES read " I- DRIVE"

Kind of a unique collectors Item eh?

Edited by MY1PATH

I bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 about 3 years ago to get back into riding, but sadly haven't done much. I'll ride about 2 miles around the neighborhood a couple times a week in good weather. I bought it because the price was right and the components weren't bad(though not great) for the price range I was looking at. I tried a few full suspension models and didn't like them, so I stuck with a hard tail.

When I was a kid I rode a CW BMX all over SoCal, lol.

I bought a GT Avalanche 3.0 about 3 years ago to get back into riding, but sadly haven't done much. I'll ride about 2 miles around the neighborhood a couple times a week in good weather. I bought it because the price was right and the components weren't bad(though not great) for the price range I was looking at. I tried a few full suspension models and didn't like them, so I stuck with a hard tail.

When I was a kid I rode a CW BMX all over SoCal, lol.

GT Avalanche is a sweet bike! :aok:

I picked up a Norco Bigfoot in '07 and it's pretty good sh*t.

I miss AZ mtn biking. There just isn't a lot of great single track up in NW Oregon.

My last rides were...

Cannondale Bad Boy with a XMO air fork and all XTR, Sram shifters, Mag V brakes

Cannondale F2000 Team Frame Hardtail, Cross Max tubeless, XTR, Sram shifters, IRD Disc

Cannondle Scalpel 2000 polished frame, Cross Roc tubless, XTR, Sram shifters, Hayes Disc

Cannondale F2000 Team Frame Hardtail, Cross Roc tubeless, XTR, Sram shifters, Hayes Disc (different one...similar setup)

i hope that GT i-drive was a steal because they're garbage, as far as i'm concerned. i'm surprised you bought american (even though it's built in china). but then again, i guess i'm not surprised; you swear by Japanese trucks, but these days they're all still designed and built in america anyway. :rolleyes:

i hope that GT i-drive was a steal because they're garbage... you swear by Japanese trucks, but these days they're all still designed and built in america anyway. :rolleyes:

Then they aren't really a Japanese truck, are they? They may have Nissan badges but they're not Japanese... :scratchhead:

I have Cannondale Gemmin 900... fox shocks front rear its decent dont ride as much now. I did some pretty crazy riding before. Ill get a pic up soon.

I also have my Specialized Vegaz Trx...all custom built its worth more then the pathy.

i hope that GT i-drive was a steal because they're garbage, as far as i'm concerned. i'm surprised you bought american (even though it's built in china). but then again, i guess i'm not surprised; you swear by Japanese trucks, but these days they're all still designed and built in america anyway. :rolleyes:

This GT was made in Taiwan.

GT is now owned by Pacific cycles which makes: GT, mongoose, and cannondale.

I swear by my 1999 built-in-Japan truck. If you don't then i don't know why you're driving one, or why you're on an enthusiast message board.

And no i dont mess with stolen bikes anymore. Its too much of a gamble when you put them on craigslist that the original owner might find it online and try to start some drama.

And thanks everybody else for your replies. Keep them bike pictures coming.

Heres my previous bike - a 2004 Kona stinky, with pretty much every component replaced with aftermarket. This was my money pit - i invested over $2k into it and only got $1200 when i sold it 2 weeks ago.

MADE IN USA FOR THE HATERS (it was too heavy for my type of riding)

P4220167.jpg

This GT was made in Taiwan.

GT is now owned by Pacific cycles which makes: GT, mongoose, and cannondale.

I swear by my 1999 built-in-Japan truck. If you don't then i don't know why you're driving one, or why you're on an enthusiast message board.

And no i dont mess with stolen bikes anymore. Its too much of a gamble when you put them on craigslist that the original owner might find it online and try to start some drama.

i own a nissan pathfinder and i am an enthusiast. i didn't realize this was a forum only for brand nazi fanbois who are so close-minded that they can't see through the cloud of ignorance in front of their face. don't for one second think that i don't enjoy owning and wheeling in my pathfinder, but i'm not so naive to think that they're the end-all of trucks/SUVs - in general or in off-road performance. i'll leave that to you.

as for Pacific and GT... you're wrong. Pacific does own GT outright, but they do not own Cannondale. Dorel owns both Cannondale and Pacific, but Pacific does not own Cannondale. that's like saying Aston Martin owns Mazda, when in reality, they're both owned by Ford.

ever since GT sold out to Pacific, they've been making crap bikes. my chromoly tri-Y hardtail is stronger and lighter than the aluminum crap they sell now, with better build quality. it's good that GT is now carried by Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us; at least it will be easy to return them when they break after the first real ride.

here's what i tool around in: '98 GT chromoly tri-Y. single speed and only 21lb, even with a heavy Fox F80X.

SNC10627-1.jpg

here's a real DH bike. no wonder you thought your Kona was too heavy. for starters, it's a Kona. and secondly, you were probably trying to ride CX with it. :rolleyes:

IMG_0104.jpg

i hope that GT i-drive was a steal because they're garbage, as far as i'm concerned.

I've repaired hundreds of bikes, heard hundereds more opions on what makes a good bike and seen them all as true & false when user tested and mechanic repaird. I also have ridden MANY differant bikes (mostly mtn). I have had allot of trouble with the earlier I-drive bikes...

I knew it wasn't the greatest, and I do like pissing on parades but I was nice because he's trying to get into it(which is always a good choice) I guess there will allways be somone to do it, even if its not me.

ever since GT sold out to Pacific, they've been making crap bikes. my chromoly tri-Y hardtail is stronger and lighter than the aluminum crap they sell now, with better build quality. it's good that GT is now carried by Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us; at least it will be easy to return them when they break after the first real ride.

here's what i tool around in: '98 GT chromoly tri-Y. single speed and only 21lb, even with a heavy Fox F80X.

SNC10627-1.jpg

The stuff you see at Wal Mart may wear stickers that say GT or Mongoose but it is a completely unrelated line manufactured in Asia then given the decal treatment. True GTs and Mongooses (mongeese??) are not available at department stores just as the cheapies are not acknowledged on the manufacturers sites.

And if you want to give crappy compliments, then i must tell you that your bike looks like a $10 craigslist special, no wonder you're trying to $hit in my thread.

and yes pacific cycles DOES own cannondale, and since dorel owns pacific then its the same @!*% who cares

http://bikehut.blogspot.com/2008/03/pacifi...hwinn-buys.html

Edited by FUELER

The stuff you see at Wal Mart may wear stickers that say GT or Mongoose but it is a completely unrelated line manufactured in Asia then given the decal treatment. True GTs and Mongooses (mongeese??) are not available at department stores just as the cheapies are not acknowledged on the manufacturers sites.

And if you want to give crappy compliments, then i must tell you that your bike looks like a $10 craigslist special, no wonder you're trying to $hit in my thread.

and yes pacific cycles DOES own cannondale, and since dorel owns pacific then its the same @!*% who cares

so with your logic, ford owns jaguar, volvo owns aston martin, mazda owns jaguar, and lincoln owns aston martin? brilliant! i love your logic! scion must also own lexus, saturn owns cadillac, and saab owns chevy.

i never said my commuter bike was pretty. it's over 10 years old and is a parts bin special. regardless, it will still burn you up and down the trails. don't you love losing to those single-speed V-brake hardtails? actually, you probably don't.

i see you didn't comment on my Astrix, but my other rides are a '98 GT Xizang (see, i ride the real real GTs, unlike you) and a Scott Spark 20.

K first off let me say that who doesnt like riding a single speed hell, they are alot of fun, I ride a cannondale perp and i love it, all 200 mm of travel and the rock shox totem fork is amazing i seem to just float in air! ***************************** Just wondering

teka u r cool. everybody on this board is way cool, i just dont know where this texan came from, thinking his opinions are better than everybody elses???

rich-texan-the-simpsons.JPG