*Tick* Tick* tick* sound comming from engine

MadManMike

Has any one heard of replacing a quart of oil with a quart of Auto tranny fluid, to clean out the engine?

When I search for "hydraulic lifter pathfinder" I see a couple of forums and car help websites that say to replace some oil with some auto tranny fluid and it should go away.

One website says to swap a quart of oil for a quart of tranny fluid, and a different website says to do half and half.

Has any one done this before?

-Mike

This may be a stupid note and I am really tired and I've tried to read through the other posts, but are you sure the sound is coming from a lifter? It can't be like a bearing in a tensioner or a wheel for the timing belt? Does your motor take any oil? Bluesmoke?

When you start the car you should propably hear the lifters, just for a sec, right? Is it the same db on startup and after a while?

Is this the same sound (at startup) as you are hearing when you have droven a bit? Sounds very strange, and I guess I dont even have to bother asking how your oilpressure is... Hm...

Just remembered one more thing, just like Precice1 says under, do it the right way, otherwise, you may be wanna adjust your vents.. I had to do this on my Audi V6 and it's also has the hydraulic lifters, dont know if it's possible on your motor though?

You can take away the gen. belt and see if its runs any quiter, if of course youre not sure it's inside the motor the sound are coming from.

Edited by bosse

Has any one heard of replacing a quart of oil with a quart of Auto tranny fluid, to clean out the engine?

Yes, I have heard of this, but never used it. I think it is more of an old timer/shade tree mechanic trick, not to say it doesn't work to some degree...

This is what I did with my 'new' truck as it needed an oil change bad. (was dark)

Use engine flush as per instructions. ($5, I can find the brand name for you) (engine oil poured out black)

Replace oil and filter with the cheapest oil and filter the store had, ran it one week and drained it. (engine oil poured out black)

Filled it with Castrol synthetic/dino blend and mounted a Bosch filter. (color of honey, hard to read on the dip stick)

When this oil is due for change or starts to discolor, I'll probably repeat the entire process. You can add 1 qt of ATF if you want, but with out repeated flushing and filter changes, are you really achieving anything? It doesn't cost too much more to do it right. ($10 oil, $5 filter and $5 engine flush. Repeat as necessary...)

B

Yes, I have heard of this, but never used it. I think it is more of an old timer/shade tree mechanic trick, not to say it doesn't work to some degree...

This is what I did with my 'new' truck as it needed an oil change bad. (was dark)

Use engine flush as per instructions. ($5, I can find the brand name for you) (engine oil poured out black)

Replace oil and filter with the cheapest oil and filter the store had, ran it one week and drained it. (engine oil poured out black)

Filled it with Castrol synthetic/dino blend and mounted a Bosch filter. (color of honey, hard to read on the dip stick)

When this oil is due for change or starts to discolor, I'll probably repeat the entire process. You can add 1 qt of ATF if you want, but with out repeated flushing and filter changes, are you really achieving anything? It doesn't cost too much more to do it right. ($10 oil, $5 filter and $5 engine flush. Repeat as necessary...)

B

Yeah, well I mean I just got done replacing the oil and filter and I just bought another good filter and some more oil today.

I figure I will just do a few more oil changes and see what happends

"This may be a stupid note and I am really tired and I've tried to read through the other posts, but are you sure the sound is coming from a lifter? It can't be like a bearing in a tensioner or a wheel for the timing belt? Does your motor take any oil? Bluesmoke?

When you start the car you should propably hear the lifters, just for a sec, right? Is it the same db on startup and after a while?

Is this the same sound (at startup) as you are hearing when you have droven a bit? Sounds very strange, and I guess I dont even have to bother asking how your oilpressure is... Hm...

"

When I did my timing belt I replaced the tensioner, and the noise was before the timing belt. After adding a thicker oil it got worse, which leads me to believe it has something to do with the oil.

No my pathy doesn't burn any oil... They tick on and off for the first 10 mins of driving. And no it's not my exhaust manifolds.. i had them replaced. And I tried to pinpoint the sound and it seems to be coming from the manifold area.

Any way,

I guess I will just try an oil change once a week and see if it gets rid of it.

-Mike

And no it's not my exhaust manifolds.. i had them replaced. And I tried to pinpoint the sound and it seems to be coming from the manifold area.

I have to ask, did they replace the studs? ALL the studs??? With the stronger replacement ones? If not, it could be the same thing revisited. :shrug:

B

I have to ask, did they replace the studs? ALL the studs??? With the stronger replacement ones? If not, it could be the same thing revisited. :shrug:

B

Well I mean it was just done in august.

And I paid to have all the studs replaced, so I would assume that they were. 5523Pathfinder is the one who did the work :D

-Mike

Oh, sheit!! You better have them checked out by someone else!!!

Seriously, well, I didn't know that and have to assume his work is immaculate...

The valve seat failure in the '92's???

Ok, you have a '95 so that's not it.

Can 5523Pathfinder take another look?? :shrug:

B

Oh, sheit!! You better have them checked out by someone else!!!

Seriously, well, I didn't know that and have to assume his work is immaculate...

The valve seat failure in the '92's???

Ok, you have a '95 so that's not it.

Can 5523Pathfinder take another look?? :shrug:

B

Yeah well he is going to do some work on my bro's tranny... so I might drive mine up and have him listen to it when I get there.

If the ticking is still there by then.

I changed the oil again... and put on a new filter. I will get some engine cleaner stuff and throw it in this week and then change the oil once more. See if it helps.

And remember it only has 111K on it.... So there shouldn't be any thing to major wrong with it. Unless I messed something up when I did the timing belt last year, but from what I can remember I got the noise before that.

-Mike

Edited by MadManMike

I have done the tranny fluid in the oil thing once and it did seem to clean it out pretty good. but I personally would not use a full quart, I used a half of one. Tranny fluid is lower viscosity, so I was not willing to risk wear on the engine, even if only for a little while.

I ran it for 250miles then drained and refilled with all motor oil and lot of crap came out. After 500 miles with the motor oil in there I drained and refilled again. It was cleaner but still dirtier than it should have been.

I refilled again and this time ran it for 1000 miles. When I drained that it was way way cleaner than prior and looked almost new. I refilled and called it good. On my next regular oil change it came out as I expected it would for a normal oil change.

I'd try SeaFoam before Tranny fluid.

Yeah I have used seafoam quite a few times before. Maybe I should just seafoam the engine and change the oil a few times and see if I can get rid of it.

I am headed to costco right now to buy a case of oil..

-Mike

I had noise and it was a simple fix. The lower portion of the fan shroud wasn't seated properly and was 'barely' touching pulley wheels/belt during vibration. Doubt that's your problem, but doesn't hurt to check.

Yeah I have used seafoam quite a few times before. Maybe I should just seafoam the engine and change the oil a few times and see if I can get rid of it.

I am headed to costco right now to buy a case of oil..

-Mike

I had noise and it was a simple fix. The lower portion of the fan shroud wasn't seated properly and was 'barely' touching pulley wheels/belt during vibration. Doubt that's your problem, but doesn't hurt to check.

Actually it's funny you mentioned that, my fan shroud did the same thing last week. Melted my fan shroud, probably ruined my belts.

But that's not what is causing my noise.

As for an update, the noise seems to be getting worse. And now my pathfinder seems to be loosing power, when I step on the gas it lags for a few sec then kicks in. This happens about half the time.

Unfortunately I have no time to work on my pathfinder now that I am in school. I can do minor things on the weekends, but during the week time=0

Next I am going to check all my vacuum hoses for leaks to see if thats whats causing my throttle lag. And I am going to try and flush the engine with an engine cleaner and do yet another oil change this weekend.

-Mike

• 6 months later...
Hey guys..

As you probably read, there is a ticking noise coming from my engine. I have assumed for about 6 months now that it was just the Exhaust manifolds ticking, but I had the manifolds done this summer and the ticking still exists.

And yes I have checked and changed my oil in the last 6 months.

The sound comes and goes like:....bbbrrrrrtick......TICK TICK TICKTICK..tick...brrrrrr and seems to go away once the car gets warm.

So I am really not sure what is next.... I tried SEAFOAM last spring, with no results.

Any suggestions?

A little video that you may be able to hear the ticking on, I tried the video with the hood open first but the engine noise drowned it out.... so that's why the hood is shut in this video.

Link to video***Linky***Linky***Linky***Linky

this is my engine is the noise is same as yours when starting ?? then I am afraid i have to do a lots of repairs :(

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

how long does it take for your oil pressure to come up?

sounds like lifters.. possibly caused by your oil pump (NFG).

also, DO NOT EVER PUT A FRAM OIL FILTER ON YOUR CAR.. IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE, I'VE SEEN IT.

THEY ARE A POS, THAT ONLY SURVIVES BECAUSE OF MARKETING.

Get a wix, napa, or carquest filter (all made by wix).

all others are imitations.

I have seen fram filters cause engine destruction, and damage

how long does it take for your oil pressure to come up?

sounds like lifters.. possibly caused by your oil pump (NFG).

also, DO NOT EVER PUT A FRAM OIL FILTER ON YOUR CAR.. IT WILL CAUSE DAMAGE, I'VE SEEN IT.

THEY ARE A POS, THAT ONLY SURVIVES BECAUSE OF MARKETING.

Get a wix, napa, or carquest filter (all made by wix).

all others are imitations.

I have seen fram filters cause engine destruction, and damage

not much about 30 seconds when cold thank you for the advice I will change my oil filter brand

30 seconds is a long time.

Maybe oil pump, because it sounds to me like ALL of your lifters are clattering. the chances of all your lifters @!*%ting the bed at once are slim to none. they are not going to fail at one time.

My rig does that when its been sitting, but only for about 2-3 seconds.