Be careful out there

Pezzy

This one was posted on a board, and then on another board, and now here... But the message is strong.

Tragic, we are all brothers and sisters in this sport and it's very sad when we lose one of our own. I'm posting this up both to show respect to the gentleman that passed and for all those to make sure you do things safely and pay attention offroad.

The tow hook on the vehicle he was pulling out tore off by the sounds of it, basic metal fatigue. Please when helping others out or getting recovered yourself make sure your tow points are structural and will take the abuse. We often are in such a rush to get where we need to go (myself included) we overlook inspecting important bits on our rigs, so take the time and if you notice any stress fractures or cracks just don't chance it...get it fixed. If you are a newbie to the sport have an experienced offroader check your rig prior to hitting a trail. This ensures everyone's saftey.

Out of respect for the deceased and his family, I kindly ask that you refrain from the "coulda shoulda woulda" crap and keep any negative comments to yourself, this could have been any one of us. Moderators can you please keep an eye on this to prevent this from happening.

Quote:

A FLUSHING, MI man was killed instantly Friday evening in a freak accident that occurred at the Powerline Park in St. Clairsville.

The 22-year-old was attempting to use his four-wheel drive truck to free another similar vehicle that was bogged down in mud when the accident happened.

Joey Fulton of Flushing was driving the tow vehicle when the hook on the second vehicle snapped and flew forward crashing the his back window and striking him in the head killing him instantly.

"It was a very freak accident," said Belmont County Sheriff Fred Thompson. "No others people were injured. He was just trying to help someone out. The hook snapped when he initially accelerated his vehicle in attempt to pull the other vehicle out of the mud."

Thompson said the park is often used for such activities and did not anticipate any type of charges to be filed in the accident.

"They were just enjoying some off-road activities with their four-wheel drives," Thompson said. "It was an organized event.

Also responding to the scene were officials and emergency personnel from the Ohio State Patrol, Cumberland Trail and Flushing Volunteer Fire Department.

Fulton was pronounced dead at the scene.

My deepest sympathies go out to his family and friends.

Thought I would share, hopefully none of us will share the same fate.

Extremely sad fate. I will pray for him. At least he was doing what he loved, but that doesn't help the tragedy much.

Tow hooks can easily kill and I am always conscious of this when recovering (i usually duck down in my rig)

RIP

be careful guys... last week i say a guy recovering with his winch, while SITTING ON THE FRONT BUMPER!!!

I'm guessing he was using a cable or rope because a chain would have just let the hook drop. Mayhaps using recovery chains where possible will ruduce chance of risk?

EDIT: i was going to say that ive seen chains snap just as hard but then i remembered that it was in fact a metal winch cable that had smashed my rear window when the tow hook on the car to be recovered snapped....

Edited by FUELER

Very tragic indeed. Back in Texas, I was in the construction industry for a spell. We had an incident when pulling an incapacitated dozer onto my service trailer. I was winching the machine onto the truck when the hook broke in two. It sent the cable through the headache rack into the windshield on the drivers side. It even took a bit of the steering wheel with it. About two months prior, OSHA visited a job site and suggested we use a remote rather than controlling the winch from the interior. My boss thought it would be a good idea. Thank the Gods for his small investment for I would no longer be here. I am not sure if I am out of line for sharing my story. I just feel it pertains to the lesson at hand. We all take day to day life for granted, sometimes overlooking the little things. Hopefully this thread will reopen our eyes. We can be gone in an instant.

The 22-year-old was attempting to use his four-wheel drive truck to free another similar vehicle that was bogged down in mud when the accident happened.

Joey Fulton of Flushing was driving the tow vehicle when the hook on the second vehicle snapped and flew forward crashing the his back window and striking him in the head killing him instantly.

Not slighting this one bit, but I believe it is old news. I'll dig up the old thread tomorrow...

That said, YES, when recovering vehicles there is major stress on the parts, and if they fail bad things can happen. Always have good, high proof components, clear spectators of at least 30 degrees from the path of recovery. Use remotes when ever possible. If in the vehicle, DUCK DOWN!!! It can''t hurt!! I can go on, but I think that is enough to plant the seed.

Let's put it this way. I carry 1 tow strap right now in the Pathy; it is rated for 33,000LBS. Overkill? Yes. I don't have to worry about it, just the hardware...

B

Not slighting this one bit, but I believe it is old news. I'll dig up the old thread tomorrow...

That said, YES, when recovering vehicles there is major stress on the parts, and if they fail bad things can happen. Always have good, high proof components, clear spectators of at least 30 degrees from the path of recovery. Use remotes when ever possible. If in the vehicle, DUCK DOWN!!! It can''t hurt!! I can go on, but I think that is enough to plant the seed.

Let's put it this way. I carry 1 tow strap right now in the Pathy; it is rated for 33,000LBS. Overkill? Yes. I don't have to worry about it, just the hardware...

B

Agreed, both about the story repeat, and the importance. A winch and bumper might some day grace my truck, funds permitting, but I have a 30K lb recovery strap that works fine for now. Not much worry of breakage other than the other rig, and if at all possible, I try to recover rigs from my rear. There's more solid mounting there from my receiver hitch, and much more vehicle in the way between broken bits and the back of my head.

My thoughts go out to his family. I just posted this link at my local clubs website. I've been seeing too many scary practices employed at a few of our recent meets. This is a great post at pirate and everyone can use it as a primer or refresher:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/index.html

Be safe. Don't mistake past luck for skill.

Pete

I carry a winch, and 2 30,000lb recovery straps. When using the winch, I clear all bystanders away from anywhere near where I'm working, and I also sit in my truck, with the hood up.

That said, we've been lax in the past with clearing people as far when synthetic line is in use, as it doesn't snap like steel. We hadn't taken into consideration that the recovery point on the truck could have come loose. We were lucky.

I did a search for the story, it IS a new one: http://www.timesleaderonline.com/page/cont.../id/505810.html

That said, when I read it, I remembered reading a very similar story where the clevis went through the back of a guys head and killed him instantly... This might be the one: http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32986

Some more useful recovery info: http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Tow_Straps.htm

Makes me want to make a sun-deflector for the back window that is strong enough to stop broken pieces from entering the vehicle.

That would be 1.5" of plexiglass...

I did a search for the story, it IS a new one

Ok, different but the same... :shrug:

B

yeah, that's a new story, similar to the one that tragically happened a few years ago....... i carry 30k straps also. i also freak out when someone is standing on the outside of the vehicle (spotter usually) and is standing alongside........ this is an accident waiting to happen unless they are holding (can't remember the name) the cable that attaches to the tow strap to prevent the strap flying through the air in the event of a breakage. (you will see them used by professional rock crawlers/wheelers)

accidents happen, and we can only do what we can to help prevent them by usuing correct towing points, stronger than needed towing equipment (so as not to overstress) and common sense.