Uneven?

gangsterchicken7

OK this has been bugging me personally for awhile. Then one of my buddies said something to me last night.

DSC02984.jpg

See the front wheel are tucked up in there and the rear have the gap. Tires are 31x10.5. It's like that on both sides.

Is this the way they come factory or do i have an issue?

***edit*** i know that it's sitting uneven now, but it's like this even on flat surfaces.

Edited by gangsterchicken7

These are the Tbars right? the bar right there in the front of the pic?

DSC02985.jpg

i'm still searching for the thread. any special tools to adjust them?

yea i know i have some oil leaking...think it's the rear main. I'll get to it one of these days.

Yup and the adjusters are on the crossmember in the middle of the truck if your looking at it from the side standing up. IIRC you need two 19mm wrenches.

Edited by redfinder

a 19mm wrench will allow you to back off the jam nut, and hold the other nut while you use a 19mm socket and a breaker bar, or big ratchet to tighten the bolt at the bottom. Do this with the weight off the front end, as it's a lot easier. Crank the same amount of turns on both sides.

a 19mm wrench will allow you to back off the jam nut, and hold the other nut while you use a 19mm socket and a breaker bar, or big ratchet to tighten the bolt at the bottom. Do this with the weight off the front end, as it's a lot easier. Crank the same amount of turns on both sides.

I was told the best way is to, unless you're not strong enough (no offense), do it with the truck on the ground, so you don't have to do it again after it settles and you don't like the height.

You'd have to be pretty strong to overcome:

A) the weight of the truck

B) the increased friction of the buildup on the bolts

C) the limited working space

D) the strange angle you will be working at :P

B) the increased friction of the buildup on the bolts

D) the strange angle you will be working at :P

Well I managed to do it, although I was sore after :lol:

Well I managed to do it, although I was sore after :lol:

Right....then you score the hell out of the bolt as it digs into the t-bar anchor. :crazy:

Just jack up the front end, and crank them. It doesn't take that long.

Do this with the weight off the front end, as it's a lot easier. Crank the same amount of turns on both sides.

Bad idea if you are eyeballing for a certain height or tape measuring to make sure both sides are even. They will take a day to settle into position. (Not to mention if you lose count for some reason.)

the increased friction of the buildup on the bolts

D) the strange angle you will be working at

I adjusted mine a few times with nothing other than a 3/4 and 19mm wrench. It takes a little effort, thats it.

LOL about the weight of the truck. Thats why they are fine pitched threads (M12x1.25). It's only .05" per revolution, just like a standard 1/4-20 bolt. Ever use a scissor jack, spring compressors, etc? Yes, a little effort, but they'll lift the whole car.

Right....then you score the hell out of the bolt as it digs into the t-bar anchor.

Never had that happen... :shrug:

B

Right....then you score the hell out of the bolt as it digs into the t-bar anchor. :crazy:

Did mine on the ground as well without an issue, just didn't think far enough ahead to get a creeper until I was half done. To each their own how thy decide to tackle it.

Maybe it was cause mine were so low... my big issue is I could barely fit under the vehicle on the creeper without jacking it up...

then again, I am largish and have glasses which made things more difficult... and it was inside my garage which made things even more cramped *shrugs*

Just jack up the front end, and crank them. It doesn't take that long.

I agree with Simon completely on this subject.

This has come up before and my opinion on it has remained the same, although just about anyone "can" do it, even if your only using a rachet to crank them with. obviously a breaker bar or long handled rachet would make it easier. But nothing makes it easier than taking the weight of the bar in the first place ;)

Never had that happen... :shrug:

B

And I bet most won't have that happen, but it only takes once and your buying a new bolt or two!

tbaradjusterboltsmor1.jpg

This was on the parts pig I bought

Do it like the pro's (or at least the last pro that touched my Pathy):

Just use the biggest impact wrench you have and hold the top nuts with a wrench. Don't even need to loosen the lock nut!

Of course, it won't do a dammed thing but eliminate all the threads on the adjustor bolt. But no worries there - they won't notice until they try to adjust it themselves.

Woah you guys used the bolt head at the bottom? I loosened the jam nut then cranked the other one with a wrench :mellow:

That is all well and good as long as the bolt wasn't spinning with the nut. I just back off the lock, hold the regular nut with a wrench and use the impact to turn the bolt.

Edited by GrimGreg

It does look abused, no doubt there.. but the main reason I posted that pic was to illustrate what I believe Simon was talking about when he said

:aok:

I've made the mistake once, and had a friend do the same recently. I won't ever do it again, other than maybe a 2 turn adjustment. Other than that, the weight comes off the front end. But you guys do what you want with your own truck. I'm not saying it will happen every time, but the fact that it CAN happen is enough reason to take precautions.

That is all well and good as long as the bolt wasn't spinning with the nut. I just back off the lock, hold the regular nut with a wrench and use the impact to turn the bolt.

Well it worked. I didn't even see the bolt head, as there is SO much undercoating on there. I did have the weight off the truck too.