Idle speed

91PathSE

You should be around 750 +/- 50rpms So, a 700-800 range is about right.

That said, try turning the idle adjust screw on your ECU. You can turn it clockwise to increase idle speed. Do NOT turn it all the way clockwise, as that invokes the diagnostic modes.

Edited by Simon

Where does you pathy idle

mines about 450-500rpm once warmed up

I think my underhood sticke says like 800 I have it set to 650-700ish when I turn it down to check the timing it wont drop below 600...

maybe its cause I've got the vg30i and not the vg30e

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the idle adj. screw on the ECU...I just see a switch? Mine idles at like 1200 and I would like to bring it donw some.

scott

I looked more carefully.

Idles at 750 rpm most of the time, even with the air-conditioning on.

Where is the idle adj. screw on the ECU...I just see a switch? Mine idles at like 1200 and I would like to bring it donw some.

scott

I think on the VG30I, you've got an idle adjust screw near the throttle body. Hopefully someone in the know will pipe up to either confirm or deny that.

• 2 months later...
Yep, thats right.

Sorry to being back on old thread, but mine idles at about 400 rpm once fully warmed up and in drive. If i turn on my rear defrost, the idle raises to like 600-700 or so. I've messed with the idle screw and it didn't really to too much for fine tuning, but it definitely makes a difference when the engine is cold, it'll go up to 2 grand almost.

What can I do?

I think your turning the wrong screw. on the pre 90 models there is a "fast idle cam" controlled by some coolant and vaccum lines on the throttle body. It sonds like the screw you are turning is ajusting how far the fast idle cam puses the throttle. the Idle screw is almost next to that but faing the passenger fender instead of up.

as far as the rear defroster I'm guessing that as the electrical demand goes up on the alternator the engine has to work harder to meet that demand so it idles up to produce more power for the defroster. sounds normal to me, mine does it too.

I think your turning the wrong screw. on the pre 90 models there is a "fast idle cam" controlled by some coolant and vaccum lines on the throttle body. It sonds like the screw you are turning is ajusting how far the fast idle cam puses the throttle. the Idle screw is almost next to that but faing the passenger fender instead of up.

as far as the rear defroster I'm guessing that as the electrical demand goes up on the alternator the engine has to work harder to meet that demand so it idles up to produce more power for the defroster. sounds normal to me, mine does it too.

Would you mind posting a pic? Now I have no idea what you're talking about, i've only noticed one screw that the head is pointed up tp the sky, and it's got as spring and seat surrounding it. If I turn it alot, the idle raises. But that's alot.

that screw is the fast idle screw. now, sanding in front facing the vehicle look about 1-2" behind that screw. there should be a screw facing your passenger fender. It sits just below your throttle cable bracket.

pic...linky

so the screw facing you in the bottom of the pic is the one you turned. and the srew head above that one in the pic, facing slightly up and left, is the one you need 2 turn. its head is pointing at where the cable bracket would be if it were installed.

that screw is the fast idle screw. now, sanding in front facing the vehicle look about 1-2" behind that screw. there should be a screw facing your passenger fender. It sits just below your throttle cable bracket.

pic...linky

so the screw facing you in the bottom of the pic is the one you turned. and the srew head above that one in the pic, facing slightly up and left, is the one you need 2 turn. its head is pointing at where the cable bracket would be if it were installed.

Oh, ok! Thanks, I had no idea that was there...lol. I'll play with it today and see what results i get