Pathy 3 link SAS build

uhh, why do you think i took the inner c's off to begin with? LOL

Ah, thought you just disassembled it and discovered the Cs were bent. I know a lot of people don't bother with clocking when they SAS.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the new c's on and welded.

Polished the axle tubes. Gotta have TeH Bling Bling!

DSCF1392.jpg

damn axle tubes are kinda thick!

DSCF1396.jpg

Whats for lunch?

DSCF1394.jpg

finally!

DSCF1399.jpg

weld

DSCF1398.jpg

Spot welded the coil and link brackets on.

DSCF1400.jpg

clearanced the coil bucket to the inner c's... prolly weld them to the c's also.

DSCF1401.jpg

Looks awesome. Those coil mounts are far apart. But it may be the axle differences. What is the WMS on that axle compared to a waggy axle?

Hmm, EB d44 are 58 inch WMS-WMS and waggy axles are 61 inch wms-wms. but with chevy flat top knuckles and spindles the EB axle becomes 59 inches. The brackets are actually slightly inboard of center of the coil buckets on the frame... thats why i clearanced the bottom spring plate.

Edited by yozsi

I got the lower link frame mounts welded in..

Drivers side tacked in

DSCF1406.jpg

DSCF1407.jpg

welded up

DSCF1409.jpg

DSCF1411.jpg

passengers side welded up.

DSCF1412.jpg

cut out both inner fenders for coil bucket clearance.

DSCF1408.jpg

Not much progress, but i did get the lower links all built and put in for mock up.

Drivers side lowers

DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

DSCF1259.jpg

Passengers side.

DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1261.jpg

Got the new c's on and welded.

Polished the axle tubes. Gotta have TeH Bling Bling!

DSCF1392.jpg

damn axle tubes are kinda thick!

DSCF1396.jpg

Whats for lunch?

DSCF1394.jpg

finally!

DSCF1399.jpg

weld

DSCF1398.jpg

are you using a wire feed on all the welds? i would have stick welded the c's with a 6010 root and a 7018 cap. you wont get very much penetration with a wire feed on that heavy of metal....

are you using a wire feed on all the welds? i would have stick welded the c's with a 6010 root and a 7018 cap. you wont get very much penetration with a wire feed on that heavy of metal....

Ehhhh..... I think maybe you don't know what you are talking about. I have a 300 amp power supply.... i cranked it up enough to get discoloration on the inside of the tubes.... no need to stick it. You think spicer stick welded the c's on? HA!

I finally got the upper link frame mount figured out.... i wanted something really close to the frame and mounted up high to maintain correct geometry and leave space for the driveshaft and exhaust..... this is what i did.

Bracket i started out with..

DSCF1267.jpg

Where i wanted the bracket to go

DSCF1265.jpg

Hmmm.... no where to put a nut....

DSCF1264.jpg

solution!

DSCF1266.jpg

After i modded the bracket to mount flush with frame..

DSCF1268.jpg

Welded ( don't bash the welding job... kinda hard to get into places under there...

DSCF1269.jpg

DSCF1271.jpg

Oh yea, anyone who says this is a bad idea.. i agree, but the automakers use spot welded nuts in frames too. Hopefully i never strip this one out.

Very nice. Thats exactly were I need to move mine. I am considering running the bolt all the way through the frame. Problem is the longest 9/16 or 14mm bolt is 6". I think I need 6.5".

I was thinking of doing that... then i saw the body mount on the other side... worse comes to worse i will hole saw a hole and weld in a piece of dom... but until then, i think this will work.

I don't think that's a bad way of doing it, since you are very limited to what you can do. Did you primer it on the side that sits on the frame? Because if that starts rusting, then it won't be fun anymore. If you didn't primer, you could get some rubberized undercoating that comes in a aerosol can. Stick that in a frame hole and give the inside a good splurtin'! Good build so far, the way I'd do it if I had time. How often do you work on it?

I don't think that's a bad way of doing it, since you are very limited to what you can do. Did you primer it on the side that sits on the frame? Because if that starts rusting, then it won't be fun anymore. If you didn't primer, you could get some rubberized undercoating that comes in a aerosol can. Stick that in a frame hole and give the inside a good splurtin'! Good build so far, the way I'd do it if I had time. How often do you work on it?

I did give it a shot of black paint, and will also use some copper anti seize. I work on it probably 2-3 times a week... i usually try to get one thing done a day. Alot of stuff to do just to stick the axle under the truck!

That's coming along real nice man.

Good work :aok:

Thanks!

Dumb newbee question here. Would a dana 44 out of a 93 dodge ram 150 with 3.90 gears an open diff be any good for a SAS? If not what should I be looking for?

No, because that would be a passengers drop axle, only dodges after 94 are drivers drop. Look for a jeep grand wagoneer/wagoneer drivers drop axle, seems like thats the axle of choice today.

Got a few things done that past few days...

Welded up the tierod and assembled knuckles and hi-steer arms.

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

Decided to weld on the panhard bar mount on the axle...

How the bracket looked like.

DSCF1275.jpg

After modification to fit to axle

DSCF1276.jpg

I them welded up the panhard bar and decided to check the potential wheel travel...

Hmmm...

DSCF1278.jpg

This is way over stuffed.... the tire would be in the engine bay...

DSCF1279.jpg

Droop stopped by floor.

DSCF1281.jpg

Still got to fabricate top link and mount to axle...

Well.... tacked the upper link bracket in....

DSCF1296-1.jpg

DSCF1297-1.jpg

Decided to slap the coils in and put the trucks weight on the axle. There is about 30 inches from the center of the wheel to the stock fender edge.

DSCF1291.jpg

DSCF1292.jpg

Axle on the floor...

DSCF1295.jpg

The links are basically parallel with each other so pinion angle remains close to ride height throughout all suspension cycles. No bind anywhere and awesome wheel travel to boot.

Last pic showing links and such...

DSCF1297-1.jpg

Next thing to do is remove the axle and weld up all the brackets... looks like im going to have plenty of space for a driveshaft and exhaust.

Alot has been done since I last posted. I didn't have the camera for it all because Ashley was presenting her research at the ACS conference in philly. Basically i removed the axle, welded everything up, quick spray bomb job, installed the OX locker and gears back in, then i installed the heavy ass axle back into the truck, fabbed up some really simple shock towers, installed knuckles onto the axle, put together the chromoly axles on the drivers side with the alloy usa joints, then put the spindle, bearings, brakes, and lock outs on....... jeez... lotta stuff. Here is some pics i took today after finishing up the drivers side.

This is at ride height, it will sit another 7-8 inches higher because of tires and wheels. the jack stand under the sliders have no weight on them. just there for safety.

Drivers side

DSCF1083.jpg

Pass side

DSCF1084.jpg

Drivers side shock tower

DSCF1088.jpg

From above, not much room between it and the brake booster!

DSCF1086.jpg

Passengers shock tower

DSCF1090.jpg

Lotta room above!

DSCF1089.jpg

More pics after i finish passengers side.