Pathy 3 link SAS build

Welp, finally got started on this project. The plan is 3 link suspension, motivation from nissannut's 3 link build.

2 inch .250 wall dom for lower links with ballistic joints, 1.75 inch .25 wall dom for upper link with ballistic joint, 1.75 inch panhard bar with poly bushings both ends, 1.75 inch .25 wall steering, running early bronco front d44 with ox locker, 5.5 inch EB coils front and rear, rear arb or lockrite(depends if i can get my hands on a open carrier or not).

Heres how it was before...

DSCF1282.jpg

parts...

DSCF1163.jpg

DSCF1166.jpg

DSCF1167.jpg

DSCF1168.jpg

DSCF1165.jpg

DSCF1164.jpg

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have to prepare my 40 year old axle for mock up....

DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

ahhh so pretty.

DSCF1290.jpg

time to strip out all that IFS crapola..

how the hell does this happen?

DSCF1297.jpg

DSCF1296.jpg

OMG no more suspension!

DSCF1302.jpg

good riddance!

DSCF1299.jpg

ok, i also have cut out most of the driver side old ifs brackets... more pics and stuff to come.

looking good...all these SAS's going on and I'm starting to think more and more about it...esp with that dana 44 sitting in my garage with an airlocker...I just hadn't taken the time to figure out gearing and what not...I look forward to seeing the completion of this

Here is the drivers side frame rail all cleaned up from ifs brackets.... lotta work just to get to this point.

DSCF1305.jpg

coil bucket welded up

DSCF1306.jpg

pile-o-ifs brackets

DSCF1304.jpg

i started on the passengers side but its tough, i gave up for the night.

Edited by yozsi

Stupid question - what's the difference between an SAS and a 3 link SAS?

Nothing they are the same... i just decided to do a 3 link + panhard bar suspension in the front as opposed to leaf springs or triangulated 4 link.

I don't think there is room for 5 links.

what if you reversed it so that axle is leading the links instead of following them? or would that cause problems?

what if you reversed it so that axle is leading the links instead of following them? or would that cause problems?

uhhh, you are kidding right? are you thinking that the links go in front of the axle forward?

Between you and NissanNut I'm going to get suckered into ditching my IFS soon;

Wife will kill me but...

where did you get your parts from? (or is it documented on Nissannuts site?) and about how much $ for parts.

Have all the tools etc. just wondering about cost (minus gearing and front axle) so I can plan when I can afford to.

Has anyone ever tried to duplicat the 5-link rear suspension used in wd21 pathys for there SAS?

There is plenty of room for another link on the right side. I have pix of an xterra setup that way. I only used the left side for upper link because my setup started as a radius arm and I switched designs half way through. There is definitely room but it will get busy on the right side axle mounts. I also wanted my upper link as high as possible.

Very nice build so far. I hope the high pinion does not limit space for the panhard and upper axle mount. You may have to put a bend in the panhard.

I started another 3 link on my buddys d22. Only did the cut and turn so far.

Between you and NissanNut I'm going to get suckered into ditching my IFS soon;

Wife will kill me but...

where did you get your parts from? (or is it documented on Nissannuts site?) and about how much $ for parts.

Have all the tools etc. just wondering about cost (minus gearing and front axle) so I can plan when I can afford to.

I have been updating the spreadsheet allot lately. Apparently some part numbers changed at ballistic.

http://nissannut.com/projects/SAS_3link

There is a price list on XLS.

so glad some one is taking advantage of this setup. I am loving it. I just added a sway bar and it drives AWESOME!

Very nice build so far. I hope the high pinion does not limit space for the panhard and upper axle mount. You may have to put a bend in the panhard.

its a low-pinion axle... the pics are just in a bad angle.

OK cool. I like that axle plenty of room to mount brackets. I just added 1" spacers up front (1.5 in back) I have a tighter turning radius with no rubbiung now. You may want to cut and turn before you weld all the brackets on.

I just added a sway bar and it drives AWESOME!

Did you set it up with quick connects so you can take it off when you go wheelin? That's what I plan to do sometime. :offtopic:

Back on track: how come more guys don't move the steering box forward?

OK cool. I like that axle plenty of room to mount brackets. I just added 1" spacers up front (1.5 in back) I have a tighter turning radius with no rubbiung now. You may want to cut and turn before you weld all the brackets on.

I plan on a cut and turn, right now i have the axle under the truck for pinion angle mock up. im going to weld in the coil buckets so i can figure out ride height. i'm thinking of pushing the axle forward some but i dunno.

Back on track: how come more guys don't move the steering box forward?

It really depends on how one has setup their front end. Some can position their axle 1-3 inches forward and not move their stock steering box, while some need to move their steering box, or others use a Saginaw box instead. My first round of steering linkage with the axle forward had me using the Saginaw box. After debugging after a few years, I could have modified the drag link and pitman arm and kept the stock box. Lots of variables.

Okay, got the drivers side coil bucket all in..

Here is the panhard bar mount, had to cut it and shape it to fit the contour of the frame rail and around the motor mount frame bracket.

DSCF1311.jpg

I made a brace out of 1/4 plate.... over kill but i dont think i will ever have a problem of the shock tower or coil bucket ripping free. I plug welded it in 6 places and stitch welded around the plate to the frame.

DSCF1312.jpg

Coil bucket brackets welded in, i had to shape the right hand bracket because of motor mount frame bracket and contour of frame rail.

DSCF1313.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

Bucket installed..

DSCF1316.jpg

This is how the back side looks like...

DSCF1317.jpg

passenger side starts tommorow.