LPG Topic

Kittamaru

What do you guys think of LPG and is it even available in the US? I've read some pros and cons based on the fuel saving tips thread... any more discussion you'd all like to add?

mz, i didn't find anything on the forums with the search :P

And GrimGreg, I don't know :P I know absolutely nothing about LPG... I'm assuming Liquid Propane Gas?

I once talked to someone who did the conversion on a small nissan pickup and he said it was not very hard but he lost atleast 10% of his power. But was getting better gas mileage.

LPG here in Australia, is, I believe what you call Propane.

I have had my Pathfinder fitted to run on LPG.

Makes a big saving on the cost of running, $37 for a tank of LPG.

I have a 60Litre Tank, fitted where the spare was and so I have the normal 79Litre of gas plus 60 litres of LPG.

I did notice a little drop in power, but is only a problem when towing up hills.

The thing to remember is that 60 litres only equates to about 51 litres of gas, due to the specific gravity, specific heat etc.

My weekly bill is under half what it was before.

The other added advantage, is that the engine lasts longer, because there are no impurities and so it burns cleaner.

Here in Australia, all the cabs run on LPG, so that should be a good indicator.

Cheers,

mz, i didn't find anything on the forums with the search :P

And GrimGreg, I don't know :P I know absolutely nothing about LPG... I'm assuming Liquid Propane Gas?

hmm.. there were at least a couple of different topics.. maybe try NGV or NG conversion as you search parameters.

the search engine sucks now b/c you can't search any words less than 3 characters so LPG isn't searchable...

with NG or LPG do you have to plan your fill ups strategically? or do most gas stations in the US have propane refill stations...my boss had never heard of a gas station with kerosene or propane when I moved out here to CA b/c he kept on buying new cylinders and canned kerosene instead of refilling

Edited by unccpathfinder

we have E85 stations around here but that stuff sucks, we have had a law for at least 10-15 years our gas is at least 10% ethanol due to pollution

Utah is running the natural gas REAL cheap and the Aussies are using propane; India is using compressed air in their cabs

we have E85 stations around here but that stuff sucks, we have had a law for at least 10-15 years our gas is at least 10% ethanol due to pollution

Ethanol contains 30-40% less energy than regular gas. So you'll get worse mileage, I only buy it on tuesday or wednesday, as they give us 2 cents a liter off then.

You can't run e85 in a pathy unless you retrofit certain parts so they don't get corroded.

LPG would be sweet.

e85 is served in many stations but i know of only one NG stations around this town so you'd have to really plan your fill ups. but you'd still have petrol and you coul duse it to get to the NG station.

and i think that's it for the NG threads on here. N4W has had a few, iirc. there are at least a couple Pathfinders down south (GA?) that have been converted by individuals but there is no widely available kit in the US. in one of the threads there were links to a manufacturer in Brasil or somewhere.. maybe Panama?? i can't recall.

Ethanol contains 30-40% less energy than regular gas. So you'll get worse mileage, I only buy it on tuesday or wednesday, as they give us 2 cents a liter off then.

You can't run e85 in a pathy unless you retrofit certain parts so they don't get corroded.

LPG would be sweet.

Yeah Ethanol sux... (less werds) no want for e85; just mentioned that is what we have in the land of corn and cows.

run out of lpg and grab a can off someones grill (joke) :tonguefinger:

Hey MZX if ya get bored we will be in Marseilles, Il tonite and cliffs tomorrow(not sure where you are in the flatlands!-)

Edited by MikeVanceinWI

The other added advantage, is that the engine lasts longer, because there are no impurities and so it burns cleaner.

2nded, I used to do oil changes. The oil that comes out of an LPG car looks the same as when it went in :aok:

One thing I heard of in AU IIRC was Direct Port LPG Injection...Haven't heard much lately though.

Wonder if that died along with rotary valves :shrug:

Harry Chest posted this over in another section:

The best option for saving gas is to not buy gas anymore. Convert you Pathy's to run Liquid Propane Gas (LPG). This is big in Australia:

http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2654&sid=

http://forums.overlander.com.au/viewtopic....558481bca8ed66e

A gallon of LPG is around $2.85

Financially, it does not make sense to convert to LPG in USA. The price of LPG is practically the same as the price of gasoline.

LPG is real popular where I am from, Poland, because there the price of propane equates to $3 USD per gallon and gasoline equates to $6 USD per gallon (when you convert to gallons). It seems that almost half of all cars over there are fitted with propane because the conversion pays for itself!

Over here in USA, why would anybody spend $600 on the conversion, only to pay the same price for LPG/fuel and struggle to find gas stations that sell propane! The only thing I can think of is having an extra tank (on LPG you can change the fuel source with the flip of a switch)

Financially, it does not make sense to convert to LPG in USA. The price of LPG is practically the same as the price of gasoline.

LPG is real popular where I am from, Poland, because there the price of propane equates to $3 USD per gallon and gasoline equates to $6 USD per gallon (when you convert to gallons). It seems that almost half of all cars over there are fitted with propane because the conversion pays for itself!

Over here in USA, why would anybody spend $600 on the conversion

Planning ahead.

Gas prices here in the U.S. are NOT going to stay where they're at

or go down.

just wait.

Propane(or another alternative) will eventually be cheaper than gasoline here as well.

Where are you finding propane conversions for $600?? As far as I've seen they run from $1300-1800.

I just realized - the change in economy! I priced LPG kits in Poland over 3 years ago and they were $3000 PLN which, at the time, was about $700 USD.

The American dollar has dropped so much in value lately, that today $3000 PLN is $1400 USD.

You guys are absolutely correct.