exhaust

ive got an 87 2 door with the 3.0 v6 and i was wondering what they sound like with flowmasters, magnaflow, straight pipes, etc. id love to hear some feedback from people because i dont wanna do an exhaust if its gonna sound like a rice car or somethin, thanks for the help

at the moment all i have on my 88 2 door 3.0l is the factory y-pipe and a aftermarket bullet shaped converter(don't know the brand, cut off a crown vic getting junked). no muffler, no tailpipe, exiting right under the drivers floor. dont sound too bad just a little noisy for me and i cant get it inspected that way. doesn't sound weed wacker-ish or like a honda though. goeing for a thrush muffler im thinking and see if i can get it to exit before the rear tire.

• 3 weeks later...

Flowmasters suck - they all drone at highway speeds. My call (and this is what I'll be doing next year after hearing one that was configured like this): Magnaflow freeflow cat, Magnaflow muffler, all in 2.5".

I have a Flowmaster 50, which is supposed to be a bit quieter than the 40 series, Magnaflow cat and 2.5" pipe from it back and it doesn't sound ricey or drone too much IMO. You'll never get that snarl like a V8, but its not a bad sounding exhaust. BTW, I've also got Thorley headers.

my flowmaster sounded good to me...I have heard some folks complain of the resonance at highway speeds but my music always drowned that out by a long shot...I think it's a 40 but not 100% sure on that...straight headers is loud but unhealthy for the engine/performance

In the beginning I had a the 18" long 2.5"magnaflow spiced into stock exhaust. It sounded better but thats about it.

Now I have headders, Magnaflow 2.25" cat and 14" long 2.25 magnaflow mufler with a 90 deg dump above the rear control arm right b4 my sway bar (had to trim the bar a little) To cutback on backfiring/ popping noise I kept the stock midpipe b4 the cat and I used 2" pipe after the mufler.

I think it sounds the best it ever will, I really like it.

Thorley headers, with duel Dynomax 6" muffs that dump right before the rear tires, 2.25" from the headers back. Here is a clip of what they sound like....

th_Dynomaxexhaust.jpg

Edited by speedy

i appreciate all the advice guys, very helpful; esp. that sound clip speedy, not sure what im gonna go with yet but im thinkin on it, ill let yall know how mine sounds once ive done something

I've got no cat, a hotdog style muffler (LONG) and a (IIRC) triple flow muffler in 2.5". She sounds very angry at high revs.

Still got to sort out some headers.....

Image018.jpg

This gives you some idea what it sounds like, quite a deep note at idle.

What is the stock exhaust? Do you have problems with back pressure etc, considering the vehicle is NA?

I did my exhaust last week! ive got an 89 with Doug Thorley Headers going to 2and a quarter Y-pipe. from there I got 2 and a quarter through the cat and 2.5 from cat to dynomax turbo mufler! alls well ends well. 3" chrome tip. SOUNDS AWSOME!!!!!!

• 7 months later...

I am new to the forums...but I was looking for a new exhaust for my Pathy. I read this thread last week and started looking for a Flowmaster or a Magnaflow. Found a Magnaflow on a van at the junk yard and welded it on. An adapter from 1 7/8" to the 2 1/2" muffler intake was added, and 2 1/2" outflow elbow was added. It seems to have a little more power, and the exhaust is now way out of the way from rocks. My old muff was heavily rock damaged. My only issue now is the outflow. It is directing the noise straight down, bounces off the road, and back in the cab. It's annoying but bearable. I'll probably be welding on a new tailpipe that goes out to the side.

Edited by pathyskeeter

I think they sound the best with no muffler. I had mine taken off right before the muffler, so i had about a foot long pipe after the cat and that was it. Sounded beefy until about 4500-5000 where it souned tinny and spazzy. Before and after that was great though.

Personally i think of any muffler for these, magnaflow sounds the best.

Not having backpressure on your cat is bad for it, since its designed to work as one system. You'll wear out your cat a lot faster without backpressure. Thats why im looking for a unit that puts backpressure on it but doesnt muffle the sound.

Thorley headers, with duel Dynomax 6" muffs that dump right before the rear tires, 2.25" from the headers back. Here is a clip of what they sound like....

th_Dynomaxexhaust.jpg

FYI having the exhaust dump under the vehicle is illegal in most states, they must have a tail pipe and exit out side the vehicle. i've been pulled over for mine which turns down at a 45° angle before the axle....

FYI having the exhaust dump under the vehicle is illegal in most states, they must have a tail pipe and exit out side the vehicle. i've been pulled over for mine which turns down at a 45° angle before the axle....

Yep, reason being that the body can trap the exhaust fumes and allow them to travel into the cabin area of the vehicle. Also, if there is any sort of backfire, it could potencially cause a fire under the body (burning rubber undercoating would smell lovely don't you think?)