poor heat... ideas?

k9sar

so my 95 has been showing barely over 'cold' on the temp needle when at operating temp. Of course, it's been frigging cold here but I believe it used to read just shy of 1/2. Anyway, the heater blows luke warm. Gone are the days where you could turn the pathy into a sauna. I know the thermostat is ok and am assuming the temp sensor is fouled and not reading correctly but I'm getting concerned that my ass is gonna freeze before too long if the heater doesn't start blowingg hot air. Any suggestions as to what would cause the lack of heat?

i had all sorts of heating problems with mine when the alternator was not working properly. ie. the guage ws showing cold.

Replaced the alternator (reconditioned one) and temp guage worked a treat, but was still cold. Turned out I also had a dud thermostat.

the thermo is simply a mechanism that allows the coolant to flow through the radiator. If it were failed closed, the engine would overheat. Failed open and it would take a long time to get the entire system up to temp. I can also open the rad cap and watch the fluid to see when the flow begins as the thermo opens.

Scott, my parents Exploder had the same issue. Heat, but not much of it.....and mom was getting pissed off. We took out the t-stat, and tested it, (boiled water, dropped it in, it opened, took it out, it closed) however, when we replaced it (already had the part, and it was only $20) the heat worked perfectly. We had coolant flow, and it wasn't stuck open. What we believe is that it was opening too early, thus, allowing the truck to heat up partially, but not to the proper operating temperature.

I suspected a clogged heater core but I hear it's abitch to replace/repair. I'll go thermo first just to be sure (my water pump is starting to make funny sounds) and see if it fixes it. Now... if it would just get above freezing here so I could do the work...

the thermo is simply a mechanism that allows the coolant to flow through the radiator. If it were failed closed, the engine would overheat. Failed open and it would take a long time to get the entire system up to temp. I can also open the rad cap and watch the fluid to see when the flow begins as the thermo opens.

Not so, it's more of a thermal regulating valve. If it fails open, the car may *never* get up to operating temperature.

I've never heard of "low heat" in a Pathy...its one of the hottest heaters i've ever been in...I skimmed the topic but would venture to say either the heater core is crammed full of trash (corrosion/rust and whatever else) I would try a coolant flush and possibly disconnect the heater core inlet/outlet and run a hose through that to see if its clogged...

next I'd check thermostat as stated above...and finally does the heat get better if the RPMS are higher? if so this could show either a blockage in the HC or a weak WP.

Given the two symptoms - Low reading on gauge AND minimal heat coming out of core, it indicates the engine is truly not getting up to operating temp. If it was one or the other, I would suspect something in gauge circuit or the heater core. But both?

How's the fuel economy? I'm suspecting a bit low due to cold engine enrichening circuit is still partially engaged.

I'd bet serious cash on the thermostat. Little blue was very slow to heat up. Previous owner had just had the thermostat replaced, so it was assumed good.

But the data disagreed.

So we replaced it. The old one was installed with what looked to be about 1/2 a tube of silicone.... Farking "professional" mechanics.... I suspect the root cause was the thermostat being held open by all that goo sqeezed into housing.

I have also seen some thermostats with rather generously sized bypass holes.

I've never heard of "low heat" in a Pathy...its one of the hottest heaters i've ever been in...I skimmed the topic but would venture to say either the heater core is crammed full of trash (corrosion/rust and whatever else) I would try a coolant flush and possibly disconnect the heater core inlet/outlet and run a hose through that to see if its clogged...

next I'd check thermostat as stated above...and finally does the heat get better if the RPMS are higher? if so this could show either a blockage in the HC or a weak WP.

Don't really see any change with RPM. Will change the thermo and take a whack at flushing the HC. I wonder if I can swap the hoses and run it backwards... hmmm... I'll have to think about that. In theory, should unblock whatever may be blocked. Of course, then I'll have to drain and flush the entire system.

just hook the garden hose to the HC in reverse order.. i wouldn't hook it to the motor.. you don't want all that calcium and other junk in the block.

also, maybe put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad.. if the temp does increase then your t-stat is probably malfuctioning.

• 3 weeks later...