Say what you want about GM

Pezzy

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/ap_on_...lion_mile_truck

Man's '91 pickup passes the 1M-mile mark

pickuptruck_big.jpg

Mon Feb 11, 11:08 PM ET

GRESHAM, Wis. - Frank Oresnik's trusty pickup truck — he calls it "the old girl" — passed the 1 million-mile mark with a camera crew filming the event and a public-radio audience listening in. "I can't tell you how much fun it was," he said. "It was really humbling, all this interest."

Recent news stories told how Oresnik had just 1,200 miles to go before reaching the milestone in the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado that he bought with 41,000 miles on it in 1996 and used in his business, distributing seafood and steaks in the upper Midwest.

At the time, he was getting his latest oil change — the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long.

He said he's had the truck's oil changed more than 300 times. It's had so many changes that the oil pan drain plug had to be rethreaded several times, he said, and "you never hear of that."

He passed the million-mile mark Friday in southeastern Wisconsin while on his way back home to Catawba, located in the north in Price County, about an hour west of Rhinelander. He was on County Highway V southeast of Fond du Lac.

On hand was a film crew from Chevrolet's public relations and advertising company, and he was speaking live to Robert Siegel, host of National Public Radio's "All Things Considered."

A news crew from CBS had been with him earlier in the day.

"I wont say it was relief ... it was exhilarating," Oresnik said later during a stop in Gresham where he has one of his longtime customers. "This truck has been so dependable over the years." Now that it's made history, the truck could be headed back to the automaker or Shell Oil. Oresnik said there's been some interested in GM or Shell Oil buying it.

That's true... you don't see it very often with GM.

Much more often with MB, BMW, Volvo, and Rolls Royce.

Yes, I have a GM. No, I don't think I could afford to make it last 1M. The Pathy, maybe. The GM? That would require too many engines, trannies, axles, bearings, electrical components.... And OE parts availability starts becoming a pain after 20 years.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080212/ap_on_...lion_mile_truck

Man's '91 pickup passes the 1M-mile mark

pickuptruck_big.jpg

At the time, he was getting his latest oil change — the kind of regular maintenance he credits with helping to keep the truck going so long.

That is all.

He said it was the most reliable he's ever had. Everyone has their own view on what that is, maybe for that guy a new trans is normal... My view of reliable is like my pathy, change the basics and drive, and never worry about anything. Thats the way it was with the 93. Dealer told me it could go up to a million easy if the frames fixed.

He said it was the most reliable he's ever had.

Did i miss that quote somewhere?

Everyone has their own view on what that is, maybe for that guy a new trans is normal...

If it was about this 1M mile GM, then :stickwack: adam... it's 1 million miles :togo:

My view of reliable is like my pathy, change the basics and drive, and never worry about anything. Thats the way it was with the 93. Dealer told me it could go up to a million easy if the frames fixed.

Umm, yeah.. you complain about stuff wrong with your truck constantly :stickwack:

Anyway, about the truck in the artical... that is really cool and says a LOT about how well this guy takes care of his trucks :aok:

The Chevy drivetrain has never really been an issue....especially not the 350, or 305 V8 engines.

My folks drove a 77 Jimmy, with the 305 until 1995. It was a rust bucket like no other, but it still started every day.

Had an engine rebuild about 15 years into it's life, after the gas pedal froze to the floor, and when my mom started it....it revved high......then KABOOM!. That was by far the best vehicle my folks ever owned, though, the Exploder they have has been really good as well.

As Scott said.....it has a lot to do with how you take care of a vehicle. :aok:

Difference of opinion there for sure. When I worked at DV we had a fleet of fords. they sucked always in the shop, rode like crap and such a dull interior. Every chevron employee on this site here has been given a ford truck as a company vehicle loaded too. Nothing but complaints they are trying to push to get chevy's back. I also was in control of a our small fleet of Chevy's at Precise Forms. When I left our 2003 3/4 ton HD was at 267,000 miles only thing it has had done was oil changes and 1 recall. We had a 1999 GMC with 323,000 original engine and tranny. I will never be swayed when it comes to Chevy and shi!!y fords. I think Ford is circling the drain anyway. Ford may make a decent truck but chevy is better in my book.

Farmers..are you serious? Farmers use them because their daddy's used them back in the day! Powerstroke is a good motor I give you that. But Chevy' from MY first hand experience handle everything that is thrown at them and last longer. GM isnt circling the drain, Ford is. When I worked at precies I threw 4,000lb pallets in the back of my 3/4 chevy on a almost daily basis. She handled it with no problems. When I worked at DV I would throw two 55 gallon drums in teh back of a 3/4 ford. She rode like arse and I had to plan highway onramps. I am just using my own experiences here

Before I got the Pathfinder, GM's were all I ever drove from the time I got my license. Well, except for the Mercury (dis)Sable years, which I chalk up to baby blues and bad bosses!

From the 72 Impala to the 98 TransSport, I have been satisfied.

Do you honestly thing the government would ever let GM go under. No.Ford on the other hand. Yup. Ford would have been gone years ago if it wasnt for the Taurus. Since they got rid of it and have been putting their focus on F-series sales have fallen. That's why they are bringing back the Taurus name. Toyota does rule though. I beleive Honda is close second too. And I hear Hundai is making waves.

Edited by zonianbrat

Just the company I want to buy from........................

"In a move that can only be described as 'Copyright Insanity', Ford Motor Company now claims that they hold the rights to any image of a Ford vehicle, even if it's a picture you took of your own car. The Black Mustang Club wanted to put together a calendar featuring member's cars and print it through CafePress, but an attorney from Ford nixed the project, stating that the calendar pics and 'anything with one of (member's) cars in it infringes on Ford's trademarks which include the use of images of their vehicles.' Does Ford have the right to prevent you from printing images of a car you own?"

Atleast I could take pics of my chevy Camarro and show them off.