1995 Pathy Speaker idea

Xmas

How did you guys plug them in my factory plugs are different than the new infinity's i just got. Is an adapter available, or am I supposed to just solder the wires to the new speakers. :crossedwires:

My infinity speakers came with the wiring adapters(supplied by crutchfield). I ordered from crutchfield they were free with the purchase of the speakers.

Go to www.crutchfield.com

and search for part number 12071003 I think they are 12.99 a pair USD. They have a really good photo of the adapter you should be able to tell from the photo if it is the correct one.

Mark

Edited by msavides

How did you guys plug them in my factory plugs are different than the new infinity's i just got. Is an adapter available, or am I supposed to just solder the wires to the new speakers. :crossedwires:

Step one; cut off stock connector. Step two; crimp or solder on new connectors on the ends of the wires.

• 1 month later...

Hey all - I decided to put a little bit more effort into my Pathy sound system.

To find out that even though in the front doors it has speaker baskets for the 5x7, you can easily remove the plastic speaker baskets and replace them w/ some 6.5" speakers.

I purchased some Clarion 6.5" 2-ways for about $50.00. I just had to make new speaker holes.

Here it is:

P1030198.jpg

P1030200.jpg

Then the bass inside sux. I wanted little bit of BOOM. Well ok, more then a little, but I added a RE 12" Sub and then a US AMPS 1100 watts x 1 (Bridged) Now it sounds wonderful.

Probably over this weekend I am planning to replace the 5x7 that are in the rear (OEM speakers by MERTA) and using a small Dremmel tool to cut out the sheet metal a little to add another pair of these Clarion 6.5" (that I also have in the front)

Anyways here is my sub and amp finally mounted and installed nicely.

Plan to do rear window LIMO-TINT, rip out the POS factory alarm and going w/ a Viper :)

P1030204.jpg

P1030206.jpg

P1030202.jpg

So aftermarket 5x7's wont fit with out modifaction no matter what brand?

Do they make some kind of adapter ring or are you stuck doing somthing else?

I thought it would just be a simple switch and go...

Those metra speakers any good?

I figure if you have the stock tweeters still active those metras should take car of the bass & midrange?

Edited by Crow

So aftermarket 5x7's wont fit with out modifaction no matter what brand?

Do they make some kind of adapter ring or are you stuck doing somthing else?

I thought it would just be a simple switch and go...

Those metra speakers any good?

I figure if you have the stock tweeters still active those metras should take car of the bass & midrange?

I had no luck in the rear for any 5x7; but I did find an exact OEM 5x7 that I got from AutoZone that did fit w/o any cutting. I think the brand is called MERTA or something like that. The pair of speakers cost $20.00. Not really loud but sounds good for OEM replacements and its better then the busted / worn out Nissan OEMs that was in there since 1995, lol.

~ Oh and they do sound better then those Sony Xplod that I fabricated 4x6s as you see in the pics. At least they got some bass by the 5x7. The Sony 4x6 was no bass all treble :(

I do plan to take those out and replace / cut for some 6.5"/

Let me know, I can sell you those Merta 5x7 for 13.00 shipped.

(they are about a month or two old.

Edited by Xmas

I had no luck in the rear for any 5x7; but I did find an exact OEM 5x7 that I got from AutoZone that did fit w/o any cutting. I think the brand is called MERTA or something like that. The pair of speakers cost $20.00. Not really loud but sounds good for OEM replacements and its better then the busted / worn out Nissan OEMs that was in there since 1995, lol.

~ Oh and they do sound better then those Sony Xplod that I fabricated 4x6s as you see in the pics. At least they got some bass by the 5x7. The Sony 4x6 was no bass all treble :(

I do plan to take those out and replace / cut for some 6.5"/

Let me know, I can sell you those Merta 5x7 for 13.00 shipped.

(they are about a month or two old.

Do those metra's work in the front and back?

I just recently replaced all 4 of my speakers (2 Front Doors, 2 Rear Ceiling) with Polk 5x7s. The holes didn't quite line up as nice as I would have liked but they fit just the same. And they sound sexcellent. Not to mention Circuit City had a deal (not sure if its still going) for them, buy 1 pair get second pair half off. Think crutchfield was running this same deal for a while.

Well i'd much rather have a good aftermarket set of speakers, but i also want what fits correctly thats why i am considering the Metra...

I want to get everything & do a system install all at once.

Speakers & head unit, so i dont have to fiddle with it again....

im not into modifaction nor have the skill to fabricate....

thats why im trying to get the most compatible system together so i can strait install and go

I plan on purchasing my stereo & install supplies from crutchfield, but all the speakers they have according to customer service will require some sort of cutting modifaction, so i have to get those from another sorce...

I have no experience with the speakers in the rear ceiling, but the fronts are easy. Just pull off the plastic, and fit some 6.5's in there. I was running some 6.5" Alpine Type S's for a while, then switched to JBL 5.25" components, and made fibreglass pods for the tweeters in the a-pillar. If you want it to sound good, you're going to have to do some minor trimming in the rear ceilings it sounds like. Also, just a recommendation.... I wouldn't go with anything Sony makes, unless it's a deck, or a very good deal on a powerful amp. Sony amps are overrated, so do your research. I would stick with Alpine, JBL, Kicker, Clarion or Infinity... personally.

I plan on purchasing my stereo & install supplies from crutchfield, but all the speakers they have according to customer service will require some sort of cutting modifaction, so i have to get those from another sorce...

I just looked through crutchfields site, using your vehicle year, and yeah looks like thier site is jacked up at the moment. But on Best Buy's website(not sure if you have one near you, but just as an example) Alpine 5x7s Best Buy. Here's a set of decent Alpine 5x7s that fits your vehicle(Again, not sure on your budget, just giving you an example).

Here is the set I bought from Circuit City. Polk 5x7s Circuit City. This shows they fit in your vehicle also.

So here's a couple examples that show ya you have options. If you purchase a set of speakers, I won't guarantee(sp?) that all the screws holes will line up perfectly, but some of them will and you'll be able to install them easy. Difficulty for all four speakers maybe 2-3/10 for first time.

Does Clarion not make an OEM replacement? Everything but the speakers in my truck is marked by them.

The rears are cheapos left by the previous owner... Ever heard of BassPro (not the hunting store)?

Never mind, I dug deeper into Clarion's site and answered my own question:

Clarion provides OEM radios to Ford, Acura, Nissan, Saab, Volkswagen, Hyundai, Audi, Porsche and more. For any questions or service issues involving factory installed audio systems, please contact the vehicle manufacturer service department.

So...

PN:27933N SPEAKER UNIT

Price: $61.76

I'm pretty sure this is it. The same PN is listed for all WD21 in that speaker size.

It's cheaper than market Clarion 5x7s anyhow.

Edited by crazyhayseed

I guess i need to sit back and gather in some more info till i can feel comfortable with a final word since there are many diffrent storys about the speakers...

im not on a unlimited budget, but i dont have to go the super cheapo either

Edited by Crow

I guess i need to sit back and gather in some more info till i can feel comfortable with a final word since there are many diffrent storys about the speakers...

im not on a unlimited budget, but i dont have to go the super cheapo either

Crow - keep in mind that "I THINK" on the 1994 & 1995 model Pathy's had the rear 5x7 in the rear roof and not at the doors. I do not recall that the older model WD21's had rear speakers mounted in the ceiling / roof of the hatch area.

Am I right guys?

Edited by Xmas

I have a set of $25 Pyle 5x7 speakers in the front, and a set of $125 Eclipse 5x7s in the rear of my 93.....the fronts sound 10 times better. :shrug:

I honestly think that the rears get less power than the fronts on mine, as the panasonic deck is wired through the factory amps and i have infinity 5x7's all the way around and the fronts sound SO much better while the rears distort earlier.

The stock speakers that were in there were different in the front and back, the fronts had a higher wattage, but they were the factory speaker.

:wtf:

I will try to gt some pictures of how I got around the 6x9 issue on my Terrano, speakers on roof, tomorrow.

Its an easy job to do without modifying the metalwork. Just a simple MDF spacer coverd in vynal.

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 aftermarket 5x8s, they were a little chunky for the speaker covers, some banging of the fist fixed it, barely ever know. 200 watt a piece. ok for the alternative/rock i listen to. Sony xplode amp did just that "xplode" stock deck's running all the speakers now.