winch install

keelhaul

I just wanted to thank everybody for all the information. I have been feverishly using the search button and have found everything I needed to know when it came to tire size, rock rails, lift springs, skidplates and much more.

I have recently installed a winch and at first I had planned on a front receiver hitch mount. Well I lifted that winch twice and figured it was going to be a big pain in the butt(not to mention the loss of approach angle). So at the last minute I decided to permanently mount it. here are some pics (I hope links work!!)

20070623003pi1.jpg

20070623015xg6.jpg

20071103011lc0.jpg

20071103012dp8.jpg

Edited by keelhaul
  • Like 1

Cool. Did you remove the brace that holds up the hood latch? I had to modify mine to fit around the winch I installed.

no I put the winch plate all the way back just so it was touching that hood latch brace.

Right on. I've only got about 3/4" of clearance between the solenoid box on the winch and the AC Condenser. I've knocked down a few good sized dead trees with the ARB and it hasn't moved back enough to touch the condenser. Your setup is probably just as rigid by the looks of it.

Right on. I've only got about 3/4" of clearance between the solenoid box on the winch and the AC Condenser. I've knocked down a few good sized dead trees with the ARB and it hasn't moved back enough to touch the condenser. Your setup is probably just as rigid by the looks of it.

I sure hope it takes a little abuse it has yet to be tested. I might go and try pull myself up some hills tonight. As for knocking down dead trees I am still contemplating on whether to add some sort of bull bar.

Very nice job. I guess I really do need to take that welding class. Amazing how it flows right into the OEM design.

Thanks I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I only tacked a few parts for proper fit than took it to the professionals. It cost about $250 to weld and $125 for material. And the flow was largely fluke as I had no idea what it was going to look like. I was a little nervous while cutting the bumper in half.

Edited by keelhaul

• 3 years later...

Man! Thats quite the slick setup youve made there! Ive mounted a 3" tube bumper on my 97 pathy, and now im racking my brain trying to figure out how to mount a winch on the front... any ideas?

dirtypathy.jpg

I tried to make sure I used every bolt i could on the front. I used all bolts where the tow hooks mount and all the bolts that the bumper was mounted with. I believe the strongest spot for pulling would be the lower part where the tow hooks bolt on. i think I have 12 bolts securing the winch mount to the truck. I would try to put your winch as low as you can.

Man! Thats quite the slick setup youve made there! Ive mounted a 3" tube bumper on my 97 pathy, and now im racking my brain trying to figure out how to mount a winch on the front... any ideas?

dirtypathy.jpg

usually on a double tube bumper that was designed to mount a winch the upper tube in the middle under the "hoop" would be cut out and a winch plate would have been attached to the lower tube, at least that is how the old Smittybilt bumpers used to be made.

• 3 years later...