Shopping

It has been a long long time since I had a path in my driveway (last December), I am shopping next week! I am a nervous shopper as I have read a few horror stories on the exhaust tube issues/Cat converter issues as well as the power valve screw issue. The converter tube issue is the only one that you can see, so nix the power valve...this is just a risk taken.

I have decided that I am shopping for either an 02-03 Path --or-- an 02-03 QX4...it really depends on availability, mileage, color, and price. I would buy anything under 60K, not beige, white, or akward green (QX4). I am expecting to go to auction and find this vehicle for $12K or less--Manheim Auto Auction, Manheim PA.

The only question now is....is there anything you guys with these trucks knows that I should look for? Having the machine, I am sure that there are things that folks know they would look for buying again! ONE THING that I wll be looking for in addition to the rusted/patched exhaust tubes is that little orange sticker on the 3rd member!! Lol, let me know guys! Thanks a mil!

Edited by 98silverpathy

You got it...power valve screws...after almost 2 years of owning mine there is nothing short of that issue I can think of that might be a problem. But by now, and after all this time thinking about getting one, you surely know about as much about VQ Pathy's as we do :D LSD is a plus (though not necessarily required) and besides that I think these trucks are great. I don't have a LSD...oh well...for what I do mine works fine without one.

Just make sure you ditch the stock suspension ASAP!

No issues with my 02 except one O2 sensor, that is with almost 130,000 km on the beast. Oh and piece of junk BOSE 6 CD changer.

One thing is to check the lower rear of the front fenders, you can see into this area with the front doors open. Just make sure the drain holes are clear. When I bought mine, one of them was not and it would retain quite a bit of water in there, leading I would think to an early rust issue. Mine was plugged with sand and leaves, easy to keep clean while washing.

I'd recommend the QX4 or at least an SE, since you're getting more comfort and style for you money. I've got an 02' Chilkoot (XE) and which I spent the extra on an LE or SE even.... Also the seats in the XE suck, and you get no sunroof or fender flares.... Stay away from black! VQ is a great engine. I took a VG33 for a drive the other day and can't believe how gutless they are in comparison. Good luck! I paid $19.5K CAD for mine in 2005, so you should be able to get your target price. LSD if you can.

Note that any R50 that uses the all-mode transfer case can NOT be upgraded later with crawler gears, and some folks have reported that the installation of unlocked manual hubs causes the 4WD light to flash (indicating a sensed malfunction). On the other hand, the stock low-range gearing of the all-mode t-case is 2.569, instead of 2.02 in the lever-operated t-case.

Good luck finding the right Pathy!

LSD rears have an orange sticker on them "LSD oil only"

if the sticker is gone.... try jacking the rear off the ground, spin one tire and see what the other does.

go figure theres a sticker but it bleached out. now is the a sticker on an lsd versus no sticker on one that is not?>

This has been covered numerous times...try searching the forums :deadhorse: Let's try to keep this 98silverpathy's thread :D

Edited by navygz19

Yup, really shows the battle scars nice :tongue:

I can attest to that, Ive got a few goood scratches from the old "lets see whats up there....looks like it hasnt been driven in years" I was told they would buff out but boy can you see em LOL :D

I think you should get a silver 1998 pathy, so you don't have to change your screen name. :)

:tonguefinger: I too have agonoized over that !! Lol Thanks all of you. Next Tuesday, that should just about make this the longest week of this year for me!

I would love to end in the QX4, just don't know what I will find.

The all-mode thing still has me just a bit puzzled...this would make a good shopping issue. So even with the all-mode in 2WD (on the knob selector) folks still had issue from what you heard? I thought that was just when they tried to use the "Auto" function with the manuals un-locked that it angered the system. Maybe I need to :search: more?

Edited by 98silverpathy

oh come on chris you cant be patient, its been FOREVER since you have had a pathfinder, whats another week eh?

got any first mods planned out yet?

Are YOU kidding! LMAO

FAST

->Viper 740 alarm/rmt start-----------------own it

->CD Head unit-------------------------------own it

->Amps,EQ's,Subs, Components------------own it----need custom floor pods for the little 4" voice spkrs

->CB-------------------------------------------ordering very soon---posted for help

->Tint------------------------------------------just schedule

After checking further on powervalve screws

->hubs-------------------------------------------own it

->Pop Charger----------------------------------own it

2-3 weeks

->AC Lift w/OME Nitro struts-shocks .75" spacer-------------------------------------------own it-ordering springs very soon

->Nismo's mounted balanced--spaced installed (can't wait!!)-----------------------------own it

->Alignment with camber stuff---------------------------------------------------------------schedule it

->FAL 282 Fan (from XPLORx4)--------------------------------------------------------------finishing steps now

After 1 month

->Mandrel 2.5" pipes w/Magnaflow dual in/out-------------------------------------------yikes expensive! Don't own anything here

Past that?

Who knows, I AM crazy!! Lol, almost sounds like I had a Path before huh??

Edited by 98silverpathy

Are YOU kidding! LMAO

FAST

->Viper 740 alarm/rmt start-----------------own it

->CD Head unit-------------------------------own it

->Amps,EQ's,Subs, Components------------own it----need custom floor pods for the little 4" voice spkrs

->CB-------------------------------------------ordering very soon---posted for help

->Tint------------------------------------------just schedule

After checking further on powervalve screws

->hubs-------------------------------------------own it

->Pop Charger----------------------------------own it

2-3 weeks

->AC Lift w/OME Nitro struts-shocks .75" spacer-------------------------------------------own it-ordering springs very soon

->Nismo's mounted balanced--spaced installed (can't wait!!)-----------------------------own it

->Alignment with camber stuff---------------------------------------------------------------schedule it

->FAL 282 Fan (from XPLORx4)--------------------------------------------------------------finishing steps now

After 1 month

->Mandrel 2.5" pipes w/Magnaflow dual in/out-------------------------------------------yikes expensive! Don't own anything here

Past that?

Who knows, I AM crazy!! Lol, almost sounds like I had a Path before huh??

very nice :aok:

Arrg! After checking Manheim online prices for previous auctions these truck are still bringing high $$$. Apparently there is a slight shortage of good used vehicles, so everything is out of whack...even though book value came down last month (KBB..I know, I know--KBB). I am etting frustrated I really wanted this to stay under or at $12K...looks like I have real work to do!

I may end up back in a VG anyway!! There's a sweet 98 QX4 on ebay, fairly local 76K for $10900....hmm I am just phunked up here. My boy says that I can scoop up an '02 with just about 60K for my number, these damn power valve screws are really messing me up!! I really don't want to buy a bummer!!! NO not Hummer! 1,2, or 3

Arrg! After checking Manheim online prices for previous auctions these truck are still bringing high $$$. Apparently there is a slight shortage of good used vehicles, so everything is out of whack...even though book value came down last month (KBB..I know, I know--KBB). I am etting frustrated I really wanted this to stay under or at $12K...looks like I have real work to do!

I may end up back in a VG anyway!! There's a sweet 98 QX4 on ebay, fairly local 76K for $10900....hmm I am just phunked up here. My boy says that I can scoop up an '02 with just about 60K for my number, these damn power valve screws are really messing me up!! I really don't want to buy a bummer!!! NO not Hummer! 1,2, or 3

whats messing u up with the powervalve screws?

and nice. i just put a lift on my buddies 98 QX.....damn those are nice vehicles :) i couldnt believe he wanted to lift it. hes got some 31 MTs on it now :) looks BAMF