Yep, ANOTHER tire question!

I've been putting off, and putting off and putting off getting new tires thinking i'd have enough money for a lift, some nice wheels, tires, etc. Well, its just not gonna happen. Now, I NEED new tires, and I am looking at getting some BFG AT's to fit on my stock rims with no extra lift.

What is the suggested size tire to put on a stock 2000 Pathy WITHOUT rubbing the wheel wells when routinely putting ~200lbs tongue weight load? (Heavy Bike rack with big heavy bikes hanging off the back)

You could easily work 31x10.50s in there...You'd probably have to roll the fenders, but it would fit fine.

I towed a 2400lb car trailer with a VW Rabbit full of spare parts, total weight was probably just shy of 5,000lbs, with a tongue weight near 500lbs (max rating for the truck), stock suspension, with 31s, and it didn't rub at all. My suspension bottomed out at every bump, but the tires didn't rub. You'll be fine with 31s.

Rubbing is not generally an issue for the rear tires. It's almost always an issue for the front tires, which can tend to rub when you turn right or left.

You mentioned you have a 2000 Pathy, so I assume you're running 16" wheels. In that case, you obviously cannot fit 31x10.50R15 tires. Instead, go with the tire size pictured above: 245/75R16. Or, have your tire store test fit the next larger size on a front tire before committing: 255/75R16.

And, oh yeah, the BFG AT is a good choice. :cool2:

I did alot of research on this and the largest tire to install on an R50 on stock wheels are 245/75/R16. The 265/70's rub in the front in reverse. 255/70 will work and it is a bit shorter and wider than the 245/75.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, one more question now that I finally have the money. What is the difference between LT245/75/R16 D1 and LT245/75/R16 E1?

I guess if everyone says that is the size to go with and it won't rub, I'll go with that size :)

Thanks everyone, really apppreciate it!

Well, the LT in that means they are meant for a light truck.

I believe that the D1 and E1 refer to load rating. An E load rating is better than a D rating. If your towing, go with the E rated, the ply rating is higher as well.

I am also looking at tires for my '96. I have had 30x9.5x15 BFG ATs on my pathy for all of its 143000 miles (two sets) and can't complain about them. They are a little squirrely on wet pavement on occasion, and ok in snow.

I'm now looking at some Kumho Road Venture ATs - anyone have any comments on these?

I am also looking at tires for my '96. I have had 30x9.5x15 BFG ATs on my pathy for all of its 143000 miles (two sets) and can't complain about them. They are a little squirrely on wet pavement on occasion, and ok in snow.

I'm now looking at some Kumho Road Venture ATs - anyone have any comments on these?

I *think* those are the AT's max used to run in his rig's past life. Could be wrong though.

**paging max**

I run the LT245 75 R16 and here is the clearance:

TireClearence1_1.jpg

And the D and E thing are the load ratings. The higher the load rating, the "tougher" the tire. And also the harsher the ride. So it comes down to compromise. Mine are 10 ply rated, run at 40 psi and the ride is a bit rough. When I am doing a long drive on highway, I will drop the pressure to 35 psi, makes for a much nicer drive.

• 1 month later...

well, I just got back from the tire place, and the guy said that their "computer" says that you are not supposed to put higher than a D rating on this truck. They can't get the 245/75/R16 D, only E, and he said they are much heavier and will affect gas mileage. Is that true? He can get the 245/70/R16 D, and he also has the Michelin LTX 245/75/R16.

Now I'm at a loss of what to do..... Should I get the E rated bigger tires, go for the D rated smaller, or get the Michelins?

well, I just got back from the tire place, and the guy said that their "computer" says that you are not supposed to put higher than a D rating on this truck. They can't get the 245/75/R16 D, only E, and he said they are much heavier and will affect gas mileage. Is that true? He can get the 245/70/R16 D, and he also has the Michelin LTX 245/75/R16.

Now I'm at a loss of what to do..... Should I get the E rated bigger tires, go for the D rated smaller, or get the Michelins?

E is massive tire, I find even my D's to be pretty heavy and rough. I would try to get a D, even if it means a different tire than the one you want. There must be other brands that would work?

E is massive tire, I find even my D's to be pretty heavy and rough. I would try to get a D, even if it means a different tire than the one you want. There must be other brands that would work?

Thanks, I don't know why this is so complicated! I feel like a complete dummy. Trancebear said that the 255/70 will fit, and they come in a D, can anyone confirm they will fit?

• 3 months later...

I have done my searches and gone through the threads and don't think this was answered. From what I can see, it appears a 30.5" diameter tire is the max you can go without lifting or cutting. I have 17" rims, and was wondering if a narrower tire such as BFG AT LT245/75R17/E will still fit inside the front wheel well without hitting the strut and giving me close to full wheel lock? Or am I dreaming?

Thanks

QX

I have done my searches and gone through the threads and don't think this was answered. From what I can see, it appears a 30.5" diameter tire is the max you can go without lifting or cutting. I have 17" rims, and was wondering if a narrower tire such as BFG AT LT245/75R17/E will still fit inside the front wheel well without hitting the strut and giving me close to full wheel lock? Or am I dreaming?

Thanks

QX

My 245/75R/16 snow tires rub just a wee bit. I doubt that a tire an entire inch taller will fit. But why not try one? My tire shop allows that, they will mount a tire and check out clearances.

Thanks, I don't know why this is so complicated! I feel like a complete dummy. Trancebear said that the 255/70 will fit, and they come in a D, can anyone confirm they will fit?

I had that exact size on my '98 at first...

ahhh my uploads are failing...but they are less than 100 KB....so I'll post a pic later??

Edited by 98silverpathy

I have Kuhmo AT KL78's on my 01 Pathfinder in size 255-70-16. Only very slight rubbing in reverse when on a side hill. The tires haver performed well for me, At 12 PSI they have made it up every sand dune I have thrown it at and on the trail (mostly sand and gravel) they also perform well. Never had it in deep mud so I can't comment. They do perform great on the road, decent ride even at 40 PSI and very quiet.

Bigmatt

I currently have Dayton Timeberline AT 255/70/16 tires on my 2000 LE. They have been awesome tires in a lot of hairy situations and only rub when I'm backing up and have the wheel cranked hard left. I have pics, but uploading them as attachments keeps failing, so let me know if you want a picture.