Highest Milage/Oldest VQ

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

About to turn 92K this week on my VQ. I still need to do the power valve screw mod. for safety's sake, and last week I had to get it safety inspected and (would have) failed for lack of a rear section of exhaust that never made it out of a trail with me. Got that taken care of. But it was also discovered that both rear wheel cylinders were leaking and my drivers side front wheel bearing was FUBAR'ed. Front brakes are also about done with.

After the exhaust, and the wheel cylinder replacement it passed w/ flying colors. Next step is a front brake overhaul (minus new calipers)

Not that this was related to engine or powertrain, but I am fast fast approaching the 100K mark on my Pathy. Still purrs like new.

Edited by navygz19

Wow 240K on a 97? I thought I was doing pretty good at 134,000 miles. And I have been to TX three times New mexico then upper Wyoming in the last 4 months.

i drive 60 miles round trip to and from school every day.

1195093017.jpg

Edited by Leman

• 4 months later...
The only problem with a thread like this is that the VQ35 has only been around since 2001, so there's not that many people who have very high miles on them.

My truck is a 99, 8 years old now...holy cow, my truck is 8 years old???...and I've only got 130,000 miles on it.

Wow...did I just say, ONLY 130,000 miles? :lol:

Wow...I've done 20,000 miles in one year, and I haven't gone anywhere!! :shiftyeyes:

Just ticked over 150,000 - and that's about 4% low.

The only problem with a thread like this is that the VQ35 has only been around since 2001, so there's not that many people who have very high miles on them.

But the VQ as a motor has been around for what - 13 years or more? If there were any major issues, they would be showing up in the other vehicles Nissan has put this motor into over the years.

And an update on mine: a collapsed lifter on the No. 1 cylinder, No 1 exhaust valve. This is so rare the dealer does not carry any bucket style lifters for any of the VQ's, would have to order it in special. But a big headache to replace. Like 16 hrs and removal of the engine from the truck. Sigh............. :unsure:

But the VQ as a motor has been around for what - 13 years or more? If there were any major issues, they would be showing up in the other vehicles Nissan has put this motor into over the years.

Exactly!

And an update on mine: a collapsed lifter on the No. 1 cylinder, No 1 exhaust valve. This is so rare the dealer does not carry any bucket style lifters for any of the VQ's, would have to order it in special. But a big headache to replace. Like 16 hrs and removal of the engine from the truck. Sigh............. :unsure:

Super Cool to know!!

60,000 on my 04, no major issues other than warped rotors. Going to change out the struts and shocks to, not because they are bad, still rides the same as the day I bought it new, I just never liked the marshmellow feel of the suspension.

Work bench is getting crowded now with New GR2 struts, Spicer mount kits, rotors, pads, grese seals... etc..

Waiting until the week of May 18 (vacation), to do everything. I know, some people prefer to actually be on vacation, like on a beach somewhere, but I guess Im a little whacked these days, because I start stocking my work bench with project parts months in advance of my vacations... :itsallgood:

Quick question for the masters... Since Im going to have the rotors off and re-packing the bearings is obvious, with the mileage I have on them already, would you suggest just going ahead and replacing them? Or is it just a waste of money at this point... outside of any visible bearing damage ofcourse.

And also, did the power valve screw issue affect the 04, if so I will probably add that to the list as well.

thanks...

Edited by Typhus

Waiting until the week of May 18 (vacation), to do everything. I know, some people prefer to actually be on vacation, like on a beach somewhere, but I guess Im a little whacked these days, because I start stocking my work bench with project parts months in advance of my vacations... :itsallgood:

Now THATS my kind of vacation :tonguefinger:...just wish the gf would like those kind of vacations...

Edited by laxman0324

No power valve issue (manual trannys don't have power valves).

Ummm... :nono:

I know this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I really don't have any power valves in my upper intake manifold. I figure it's because I have a 5spd. The 2001 FSM, pg EM-10, shows a "Variable induction air control valve control actuator (A/T)" that my VQ does not have. I'm assuming (A/T) means automatic transmission.

I don't want to stray off topic, so if anyone wants to discuss this further, or see pictures of my power-valve-less VQ, PM me and I'll start a new thread.

I don't want to stray off topic, so if anyone wants to discuss this further, or see pictures of my power-valve-less VQ, PM me and I'll start a new thread.

Yeah, unfort. they all have the exact same intake. The only difference offered on the intake itself is drive by wire in 2004..no throttle cable---funny if you look at pics of the drive by wire, all the throttle cable brackets are still there...just no cables...LOL wasted a little cash there didn't they?

Edited by 02silverpathy

Bought it May 15, 2007 with 90.540 miles and now has 116878 miles. It's been to Illinois and back twice to off road to the top of mosquito pass at 13185 feet. The only thing that I have done is lock tight power valve screws, when I put the Ngk Iridium plugs in at 105000 miles and a month ago just replace all the fluids and ended up the transfer case fluid looking original, really black. The only issue with it when I put a K&N filter in it, was the maf acting up for a week, with the code p0171, I ended up soaking the crap out of it with Maf cleaner a couple of times, and now it's been 2 weeks with out check engine light. keeping my fingers cross. Also it average about 80 miles a day to work and back, mostly all highway miles. I think this a very dependable engine, and should be able to get 250000 miles out of it no problem, with of coarse routine maintenance.

David Rowe

Edited by Thunderbolt

I know this sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I really don't have any power valves in my upper intake manifold. I figure it's because I have a 5spd. The 2001 FSM, pg EM-10, shows a "Variable induction air control valve control actuator (A/T)" that my VQ does not have. I'm assuming (A/T) means automatic transmission.
Yeah, unfort. they all have the exact same intake.

I'd be skeptical myself if I hadn't seen the absence of the power valves with my own eyes.

I don't want to hijack your thread, so meet me at this new thread I started and I'll show you pictures!

• 1 year later...

my o1 has 115k miles on it.

The only issue i had wtih it that wasnt my fault was rear resonator rusted away and fell off.

The issue that was my fault was when i changed my spark plugs and forgot to plug number 2 back in. Screwed up my coil and somehow screwed uip my maf, and almost lead to premature cat failure...almost. O2 sensors are gone right now.

Other tan that...she runs like a charm. Need a new muffler though and a panhard rod.... :unsure:

2002 with 60K

No problems for now, I am starting to have a large (1 sec ?) hesitation in starting. Turn key, rev rev rev ____ rev start. This with the key turned forward the whole time. Battery is strong maybe starter? They look fun!