VQ's

turbopath

Well, we all know the VG engines are built like fricken tanks (weigh about as much too)and will last a long time if you remember to change the t-belt. How are those VQ's holding up? I may be able to get my hands on a VQ with 112k on it so I'm debating on whether or not it's worth the extra hp.

Edited by turbopath

Theoretically, as long as you maintain it properly, and don't abuse it (KEY), then they should last just as long as any other motor out there. It's when you neglect, or install bad parts, or abuse it, that damage occurs.

You could not give me a VQ35. I have been working on Nissan's since 93 and the VQ series will not take hardly any abuse comared to the VG. The tolerances are so tight and the fact that everything is microfinished means if the sludge builds up just the least you are scoring journals. The PCV system is weak and blow by is common even on newer engines.

You could not give me a VQ35.  I have been working on Nissan's since 93 and the VQ series will not take hardly any abuse comared to the VG.  The tolerances are so tight and the fact that everything is microfinished means if the sludge builds up just the least you are scoring journals.  The PCV system is weak and blow by is common even on newer engines.

Of course I had to beat the hell out of a VG33 w/ 5spd just to get mediocre performance P... ... OTOH the VQ35 has plenty of power mated to an AT.

As far as longevity I've seen many VQ30 Maximas with 200,000+ miles... As always, regular maintenance is the key. But I'll take an old L series 6 anyday. :aok:

ya, the vq30 and the vq30det are quite famous. Tight tolerances can be a good thing if you know what to do with them. Basically means that it wouldn't be easy to rebuild in the long run though. Tough call. I can easily get 240hp out of my VG for the same amount of money....(with more torque as it's sohc)

Weak PCV system?

Is this why that Japanese web site offered a catch can on a VQ? Or am I missing the boat completely?

For the sludge....we can talk days about what to do to avoid that, but I can't imagine any vehicle more picky than my Bimmer with sludge....hence 0w-30w Winter and 10w-50w Summer..........what oils are recc. for a VQ?

maximas are supposed to be 5-30 but i used 10-30 in mine, vq's rawk ass and theres a small army of fanatics to back that up, LOL didnt they win some best motor award for like 10 years in a row? ust something i heard ;)

maximas are supposed to be 5-30 but i used 10-30 in mine, vq's rawk ass and theres a small army of fanatics to back that up, LOL didnt they win some best motor award for like 10 years in a row? ust something i heard ;)

11 years in 2006. From Wards Engine Awards 2006

"Taking its unrivaled eleventh consecutive 10 Best Engines trophy is Nissan Motor Co. Ltd.'s 3.5L DOHC V-6. The only engine to win an award every year since the program's inception, Nissan engineers improve the ever-fabulous "VQ" V-6 with new levels of power and torque for 2005."

'm renting a Nissan Murano which (i think) has a VQ35. I know it definitely has a chain driven 3.5 liter. It is FAST and i love the sound!

Goota have my VG dependability though!

When a guy who works at the engine building plant for the VQ tells me he would not put one in his PAthifnder that only backs up what I am saying. Now in regards to the fanatics who love the VQ, most of them are tearing those things doen to bare parts and completely rebuilding with all upgraded components. I am not knocking the power or torque they put out. All I am saying is I wind my Pathfinder out to redline all day long and it's got 220K on it. A VQ will need the oil checked weekly when run like that. I have at least 1 or 2 QX4's with the VQ come in with a VTC code and it is due to low oil level. These are folks who are good on their oil change intervals. If you did a longevity test in some sort of engine testing facility I would put my money on the VG.

I have to admit that the oil consumption thing sounds like a problem with power valve screws...which is not the engines mishap, but the lack of total quality mgmt from Nissan in adding $.03 worth of thread locker when necessary. This however should not be taken out on the engine, but its manufacturer.

In previous threads it has been stated as a known issue...it is more than safe to say that I will be paying to have my threads Loc-tite(d)....other than that...

Is it possible to elaborate more on the PCV blow-by and the PCV oil catch-can idea for this system??

I am also going to point out that they have re-released the 3.5 with even more tuned ponies in the new 350Z...I would guess that~~maybe~~that someone at the engine building plant doesn't want to mess with anything missing a carb...after all many engine heads hate electronics, it takes the fun out of it for them.

***********************EDIT for VG question*********************

240 on a VG??? It starts with about 170...intake and exhaust combined 10HP (sound fair?)...this makes 180 lets add the JWT cams with and approx 14-20 ponies...we are at about 200HP now.....a supercharger? or a shot of NOS?...you pick, we can blow right by 240 and if maintained properly keep longevity also..........remember that there are lots of decked out 300z's running the hell out of these engines also!!

I had intake--exhaust--and the cams with many other fuel consuming goodies...and I was maybe even the only Pathfinder on this board with a SAFC II and a wideband to push further limits....never dynoed, but believe it rocked---in its un-tuned state---

Edited by 98silverpathy

not to mention the torque curve of a VG with 240 hp... I could honestly make way more hp than that. 240 would just be outright easy though. Considering the extra cost of the VQ, I'd put them on equal terms at 240hp...with the VG having the option of a vg30dett rods/pistons and 500hp.

EDIT: before someone says it, I've seen high hp VQ also...they're just more expensive to build.

Edited by turbopath

I'm sure you could make a VG33 make as much power as a stock VQ35, it will last as long as the VQ though. That is why the VGs last so long, they are dogged out making the stock parts last longer. -bounce-