head units

adahy22

hello everyone . i m trying to find a affordable head unit

i find this and just wanting some input.

22watts rms and 50 peak not too bad for the price

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UAG84tZG2XQ/c...300&I=113KDC135

any advice would be great from the audio genious in here

is it good or can i find something better around that price range

thanks

oh and i going to change my factory 6by9 in the back any ideas ,what brand etc....

Edited by adahy22

I personall have a pioneer DEH-6400mp and i love it, ive had pioneers for years and never had a problem with them. A few thing to think about, do you have the bose system if so take it to a store to have them install it as this can be a pain in the ass or so im told and on the speakers i would stick to the same brand as the deck as this can improve sound quality or so im told. a good place to check for decent decks is pawn shops, i got mine brand new at a pawn shop for around 130 and it was 300 orignally

I have to agree with csutke. I have had 4 pioneer HU's over the years and never had a single problem with them. I have had the bottom of the line to the sweet double din model. Vengeful and some other folks will disagree which is cool but for the price I just do not think pioneer can be beat. As far as 6x9"s go, it is kinda one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. I have used pioneers before and been pleased before but there are definetly better ones out there if your willing to spend the $$. Vengeful might be the one to talk to about this as he used to be an installer and seems really knowledgable on the subject.

Pioneers are good units, but I am partial to Alpine. I'm on my second h/u from them and i've yet to have a problem with it. If you can find one that has it, V-Drive pretty much eliminates the need for an extra amp to power your component set, but if you're going to put a subwoofer in there, you'll need a dedicated power source. My h/u pumps out 27 watts of RMS to each of it's 4 channels. It has all the gizmos needed to put amps and DVD screens and sat. radio. I paid about $250 off ebay 2 years ago, but my model (7894) is pretty scarce now. The alpine I bought for my miata 9 years ago still works almost as good as the day it was installed.

I'm in the market for a new Headunit now too. I'm replacing my 3rd Clarion. This last one, is a 6.5" LCD , motorized unit. I hate it...below temps of 35 degrees it won't turn on until the car is warmed up...usually takes about 20 minutes of driving before it turns on and most of the time my drives aren't that long to begin with. I realized that this is a manufacture fault as I've read reviews from other owners of this H/U and they have the same exact problem.

I'm not sure if I want to stay with Clarion anymore since this will be the 3rd Clarion I'm replacing. But since I have Clarion components such as a CD changer and EQ, it will be much easier to swap in another Clarion.

I'm in the market for a new Headunit now too. I'm replacing my 3rd Clarion. This last one, is a 6.5" LCD , motorized unit. I hate it...below temps of 35 degrees it won't turn on until the car is warmed up...usually takes about 20 minutes of driving before it turns on and most of the time my drives aren't that long to begin with. I realized that this is a manufacture fault as I've read reviews from other owners of this H/U and they have the same exact problem.

I'm not sure if I want to stay with Clarion anymore since this will be the 3rd Clarion I'm replacing. But since I have Clarion components such as a CD changer and EQ, it will be much easier to swap in another Clarion.

Man, I never thought about that....kind of like my power windows....which are very slow in the cold.... :P

But since I have Clarion components such as a CD changer and EQ, it will be much easier to swap in another Clarion. 

not nessacially ture there all gonna have the same input/outputs. from what ive heard the only reason to same with same brand it can be better quality, im not usre if this is true or not but thats ur choice

I had a Sony Xplod that worked fine/sounded fine, but my wife just bought me the Pioneer DEH-P4800MP for Christmas and it sounds much better. Works great with my Sirius. Was able to move my Sirius unit to my wifes can and use the Pioneer to control the Sirius in the Pathy.

only problem....a little too much power for the factory Bose speakers....time to rip the whole Bose thing out and wire up an new AMP and speakers.....

Edited by kmgar99

not nessacially ture there all gonna have the same input/outputs. from what ive heard the only reason to same with same brand it can be better quality, im not usre if this is true or not but thats ur choice

It is easier to swap in my case because the Clarion connections are via a CeNet connection/cable which is Clarion exclusive. Its a square plug that connects the H/U, CD changer and EQ together and links them together.

If I go to a different H/U, the cd changer plug will be completely different. I will have to find a different cable in that case. Know what I'm saying?

• 4 weeks later...

i was looking to get a head unit .

what are those brand legacy,lanzar,pyramid and pyle

are those not even worth it

i m probably going to get that kenwood

now with a new unit will my volume be looder then the original unit i have now .

because i put it to the max and if i have the windows down it really not loud.

got 6inch alppine in front and still have original 6by9 in the back which sounds fine

thanks

are the head unit easy to install ??

Guest SuperSon

Get an Alpine 3de-7985. Bulletproof deck. I had them on every car ive owned and 3 are still working just like the first day I installed them. Last one is going on my pathy this weekend and this one is about 12 years old (gives you an idea how tuff this decks are) gone thru 3 remotes over the last 12 years but the deck is just like new

alpine.jpg

I use Kenwood. Love it. I want to get another one, just need an excuse. :) Stay away from motorized faceplates.. I have one that just flips down... (Removable. Since they're all either motorized/removable. Hard to find a nice one without the useless feature.) I just can't imagine how it would be to be stuck with the same CD when the motor goes out.

You asked for advice, here's mine:

Motorized faceplates suck because the ribbon cable that connects the faceplate to the unit chassis is constantly flexing back and forth, which cracks it eventually. That's what happened to my old xplod. As mentioned earlier, avoid those types.

Although they're supposed to be top 'o da food chain, everyone I've known that had an Alpine has had problems with it, including the current one I have (don't know about the one SuperSon recommended, but these were all mid-priced units ~$150-$200 range).

Whatever brand you decide to buy, be sure to get one with three sets of RCA out jacks. One for the front, one for the back and one set for separate sub control. It'll cost you a little more, but even if you don't have amps or subs right now the hardware will be in place already when you decide to upgrade and you won't have to throw out the $100 head unit you bought a year ago.

IMO, Pioneer speakers are the best bang for the buck, bar none. They're crisp and take a lot of abuse.

The one in your link was $80+shipping, right? So about $100. Here's one at Best Buy that plays everything, is satellite ready, has three RCA outs, and has a jack for your ipod for only $40 more.

Edited by jj big shoe

i stick to JVC.. but everyone has their own opinions.. only thing i can say is to atleast get something that plays MP3s, and is XM ready.

JVC has always treated me good :aok: I have a tape deck w/12disk CD changer in my yota, which is 10+yrs old now and the deck still works fine. Although I am getting an arror from the changer now. My Pathy has had a Toshiba tape deck (and 6disk changer) since I installed it, just after I bought the truck.

The Pathy was the Toshiba decks third home since I bought it new a couple years before the JVC. I just replaced that deck even though it still works just like it did when new, but the changer died a couple years ago and it was time to get a CD deck.... I am guessing changers have an approximate life of 10yrs?

I replaced it with a JVC HD Radio deck (HDR1) and so far I love it, in addition to the built in HD Radio tuner it also it plays MP3/WMA's and is also SAT and iPod/Media player ready. They also gave it three sets of pre-amp outputs.

JVC - HD Radio

Crutchfield wants $199.99 for the HDR1 Crutchfield.com - HDR1

I however got mine from overstock.com for $159.99 Overstock.com - HDR1

great thanks for the advice

hey big shoe does this one has 3 RCA jacks

can really tell

Which one?

The link in your first post, no.

It says "one set of preamp outputs (can be switched to subwoofer mode)"

The link I posted, yes.

It says "Number of Pre-Outs: 3 pair".

If you're not going for a competition-style system, just hit a Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart kind of place and pick up something with a name brand.

Most will have about 50w of power, which is enough to listen to at the volume your mom likes her music at before it starts distorting. Not bad, but like I said before you'll want to upgrade later by installing amps and such.

Some features you might want are:

3 pair pre-outs (so you can run front, rear and sub amps later)

Satellite-ready (personally, I don't care)

Aux input (on the face, so you can hook an ipod up)

Built-in equalizer (mine doesn't have it, wish it did)

Most in the $140-$180 range will have a mix of good features, just get the unit that has the features you most want. I'd check sundays paper and see who's having the better sale.

Mine is a MEGAVOX (big name brand i know) But I figure if it gets covered in mud and dust and water that it's cheap to replace. About $280NZ and it has an SD port so all my music is on 1x1gig card, NO SKIPPING :bow: :bow: no matter how rough the road.