head units

adahy22

"Peak power" ratings are absolutely meaningless marketing tripe.

RMS power is worth comparing IF (and only if) both manufacturers are using the exact same protocol and measuring method - which is more rare than it ought to be.

Bottom line: Unless the unit is using FET output transistors, all head units are limited to about 12-14 watts of "musical" output. In other words, they are pretty much all the same these days - except for the FET equipped units. These cost more but will put out a lot more volume. Just make sure there is plenty of venting on the backside of the unit! More power = more heat.

MWS is right about RMS Watts. That's what you want because it's an average amount of watts that the Amp/head can take. Peak is a real number but a gimmik because what good if that is the peak, and it frys after 2 seconds of using that many watts. Anyways for me I use the Non-walmart sony head units. They have always done me well, the one in my audi has been in 4 different cars including my White pathfinder from about 4 years ago, and it still is awsome. Although avoid sony speakers. They are HORRID. But the ones that have blown me away for bang for buck is infinity. Awsome speakers for being none component speakers. Then for my Amp and Sub Rockfords.

IMO I think alpine or pioneer is a good choice thats what my friends have.

I have JVC and I can pretty much say I hate it. its a touch screen and looks really nice but i get "connection errors" all the time and it likes to freeze up in cold weather. It does however have a motorized face plate that I love. due to the fact that you can angle it. in the pathfinder its rather low so angling the faceplate up is perfect.

as for your 6x9's what kind of speakers are you running in the front?

I always believe the front soundstage should be the top priority. (but mabey you have good ones in the front already).

its been said before but try and not skimp on $$ for speakers. my last speakers where kenwood. and they sounded horrible.

my new ones that I spent a little more are JBL and they sound GREAT.

I love how my stereo system sounds now.

I would also agree with extreme90 about the infinity speakers.

both those kind of speakers I find don't produce the lower bass as well but they have great mids and highs, which they where designed for.

and a sub with them and you will be very happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I put my system in my new Pathy (91 SE) recently. I took the 6x9's out of the back entirely. I highly recomend going with a nice component sytem in the front and throwing a sub in the back. Really makes the stereo image the best. Who needs those big ass boxes taking up space in the cargo area anyhow?

if your gonna get some subs id stick to 10's or smaller, if people knew the amount of air that it takes to properly opperate subs there wouldn't be people driving down the raod with two 15 in the trunk of a civic but to each their own